KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Handbooks versus On-panel feats

Which source is more believable?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Handbooks are the true intention of the editors 3 23.08%
On-panel feat demonstrate the character's abilities 10 76.92%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Handbooks versus On-panel feats
Started by: masterbruce

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Starscream M

Handbooks versus On-panel feats

Which holds more authority and credibility for you?

In my opinion, handbooks are what the company INTENDED the character to be. Handbooks are free of PIS or CIS. Onpanel feats, while GENERALLY useful, are prone to one writer's bias or lack of knowledge taking the character beyond what they were meant to be.

Defacto Leader of the KMC VS Resistance Movement

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 12:29 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Handbooks don't really mean anything.

They're just as prone to allowing PIS events into them. (why the hell would they leave out CIS btw?)

Handbooks also tend to give ratings to characters that don't match with what happens in comics.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 12:52 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Handbooks don't really mean anything.

They're just as prone to allowing PIS events into them. (why the hell would they leave out CIS btw?)

Handbooks also tend to give ratings to characters that don't match with what happens in comics.

1. Handbooks give all relevant stats and powers of a character

2. Handbooks have NO PIS.

3. Handbook ratings don't match with what happens in comics because there are so many different writers of comics who have different ideas of what the characters should be able to do and create PIS events.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:02 PM
Starscream M is currently offline Click here to Send Starscream M a Private Message Find more posts by Starscream M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Handbooks aren't written by comic book writers....

Bankai.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:03 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

Originally posted by Estacado
Handbooks aren't written by comic book writers....

they're produced by the company's highest ups...the editors. They're also not the ideas of one writer or idea, but rather the thoughts of the WHOLE company.

also, notice that handbooks remain pretty consistent over time. Whereas onpanel feats vary wildly from ridiculous low feats to over the top high feats.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:05 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by masterbruce
1. Handbooks give all relevant stats and powers of a character

But only on scales so you get a very limited idea of what any of it means.

2. Handbooks have NO PIS.

Only through tautology.

3. Handbook ratings don't match with what happens in comics because there are so many different writers of comics who have different ideas of what the characters should be able to do and create PIS events.

Would you place more trust in going to Alaska and looking around or read the Wiki article on Alaska?

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:11 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juntai
Divine Vengeance

When debating COMIC BOOKS, one uses the COMIC BOOKS to debate.

I am God's mighty fist. I am God's strength made manifest.

Sig by: Skeets, S.S, thesilverspider, Sir SKEETS Alot

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:11 PM
Juntai is currently offline Click here to Send Juntai a Private Message Find more posts by Juntai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Juntai
When debating COMIC BOOKS, one uses the COMIC BOOKS to debate.

thumb up

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:13 PM
Starscream M

this is the way I look at it.

If we are debating 2 characters, we first look to the handbook. If one character has better stats in everything then that character wins.

Now, if both characters have similar stats or each has advantages in certain areas, THEN we look to comics to see who has better showings.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:23 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

this is the way I look at it.

If we are debating 2 characters, we first look to the handbook. If one character has better stats in everything then that character wins.

Now, if both characters have similar stats or each has advantages in certain areas, THEN we look to comics to see who has better showings.

no expression

That's debating powersets. By that logic beating Taskmaster H2H would be impossible.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:24 PM
Estacado
Legendary

Only one question.
Since when can Thanos move at the speed of light?

Bankai.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:25 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Starscream M

no expression

That's debating powersets. By that logic beating Taskmaster H2H would be impossible.

I guess you're right...Rhino would be pretty impressive based on handbook bio, but his loser-aura would decimate him in a fight against anyone.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:31 PM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I guess you're right...Rhino would be pretty impressive based on handbook bio, but his loser-aura would decimate him in a fight against anyone.

No . . . confused CIS (which is part of the character) causes him to lose as does his lack of skill.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:38 PM
Starscream M

No . . . confused CIS (which is part of the character) causes him to lose as does his lack of skill.

yeah, what I mean is that the handbooks don't take CIS into account.

CIS is valid, while PIS is not.

They should have a statline for CIS as well...(ie, Captain America would be a 7 while Rhino would be a 1, and Galactus would be a 3)

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:42 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I'm not saying that Handbooks should be used for everything but an honest blend between understanding of a character and a blending of comic book feats should be used.

It does help if give you a basic idea.

Because if you solely go by comic book panel feats every single comic character will have the "moment" where they completely go against everything they had been before or feats that go above the norm.

I mean GLs are pretty powerful but when you have them containing Big Bangs I think the writer is an idiot. When you have Thor driving off Galactus by himself then I think the writer should be shot.

When you have Batman killing Doomsdays with an axe teh writer should never breed.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:42 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Newjak
I'm not saying that Handbooks should be used for everything but an honest blend between understanding of a character and a blending of comic book feats should be used.

It does help if give you a basic idea.

Because if you solely go by comic book panel feats every single comic character will have the "moment" where they completely go against everything they had been before or feats that go above the norm.

I mean GLs are pretty powerful but when you have them containing Big Bangs I think the writer is an idiot. When you have Thor driving off Galactus by himself then I think the writer should be shot.

When you have Batman killing Doomsdays with an axe teh writer should never breed.

I thought the idea behind taking average feats (or mode feats) was that we wouldn't go by nothing but high feats.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:45 PM
Starscream M

Originally posted by Newjak

EXACTLY. that's what made me make this post, so many ludicrous feats are used by people as legitimate or cannon simply because they appear ONPANEL.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:46 PM
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

handbooks can be written by a no name college grad/nooby intern roped into the office at short notice and briefed at short notice and left unattended with the keys to the kingdom

Editor checks in "do over this!" "spelling mistake thur Chronos NOT Chrono!" "paragraphs too long... writing a love letter there bunky?"

Editor signs presentable looking handbook entry and files it.

Nooby intern escapes.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:48 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I thought the idea behind taking average feats (or mode feats) was that we wouldn't go by nothing but high feats.
What are you trying to say.

That we should use npthing but high feats erm

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:49 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

a writer usually reads reams and reams of on panel feats b4 writing a pilot script and ultimately jumping on board an ongoing title.

on panel feats f.t.w.

Old Post Apr 24th, 2007 01:50 PM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote