KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Story vs art

Story vs art
Started by: TheEvilHex

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheEvilHex
Taco King

Story vs art

I notic some times when reading comics. if the art just sux balls i cant make it threw the comic and i just wanted to know what you guys thought was more important to comis story or the art?

Like a ninja eating toast!!!!

Old Post May 4th, 2007 10:30 AM
TheEvilHex is currently offline Click here to Send TheEvilHex a Private Message Find more posts by TheEvilHex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheEvilHex
Taco King

Re: Story vs art

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheEvilHex
I notic some times when reading comics. if the art just sux balls i cant make it threw the comic and i just wanted to know what you guys thought was more important to comics story or the art?

Old Post May 4th, 2007 10:31 AM
TheEvilHex is currently offline Click here to Send TheEvilHex a Private Message Find more posts by TheEvilHex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheEvilHex
Taco King

oooops lol.

Old Post May 4th, 2007 10:31 AM
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

well with the level of commentators that i've seen on right now, chances are you're not going to get a very good answer, present company excluded. but seriously, you might as well have asked the chicken or the egg question.

my most valuable and educated guess is come for the art, stay for the story.

which is more valuable? impossible to answer, by definition a comic is the marriage of words and picture. and while there have been a few exceptions that prove the rule (being entirely art) those books while very good, don't hold a candle to best worded books.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post May 4th, 2007 10:34 AM
MERCILOUS is currently offline Click here to Send MERCILOUS a Private Message Find more posts by MERCILOUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

story

the story dictates the imagery.
the art and words and sound effects tell the story

there are some books [no art] I read again and again if storytelling is sensational.

Great art and no story= perfect body, mind in a persistent vegetative state.

Great story and no art = Borat Hilarious! who cares whether he's buff or not?

Old Post May 4th, 2007 11:00 AM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

i shake my head in confusion at you, and i will do it a second time. a book with no art is not a comic book, the question was about comic books.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post May 4th, 2007 11:06 AM
MERCILOUS is currently offline Click here to Send MERCILOUS a Private Message Find more posts by MERCILOUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Grant Morrisson Batman 663 99% lettering

That issue was a book with a few pictures .... if you could find them...... in between smashing furniture & tearing your hear out

Last edited by shiv on May 4th, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Old Post May 4th, 2007 11:12 AM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

I probably could and feel inclined not to beleive you. there's no way in hell they'd let someone put out a book that's 99% lettering in a mainstream comic.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post May 4th, 2007 11:16 AM
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

If the art is horrid I just can't get into the story. However I can get over a mediocre storyline if the art is nice.

I suppose I'm rather shallow but thats just always been what happens for me. Most of the time I look for things that have a good balance between looking nice and having an interesting story.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post May 4th, 2007 11:33 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Originally posted by MERCILOUS
I probably could and feel inclined not to beleive you. there's no way in hell they'd let someone put out a book that's 99% lettering in a mainstream comic.

Morrisson jumped onto Batman [1940] back in issue 655 his arc b' & son concluded in 658 his second arc never materialised in 659 Morrisson went awol new writer jumped on board and delivered the Grotesk storyline. Grotesk arc concluded 662

663 Because the readers rioted over the vanishing Morrisson Joker arc D.C. asked Morrisson sweetly for his 4 issue script.
Morrisson mailed it

D.C Put it to paper.

99% paragraphs

Old Post May 4th, 2007 01:12 PM
endrict
Restricted

Account Restricted

A serious reader is in it for the story then prefers the art second.

A person like me that reads abit and buys comics every few weeks prefers the art first and story second. However this tends to be a bad combo because you get shit like Jim lee art and some stupid fanbase writer who puts Wolverine vs the Silver Surfer.

Sig done by me.

Old Post May 4th, 2007 01:17 PM
endrict is currently offline Click here to Send endrict a Private Message Find more posts by endrict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

art. When i started reading comics at five before i could read i just used to look at the stories.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post May 4th, 2007 05:45 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by TheEvilHex
I notic some times when reading comics. if the art just sux balls i cant make it threw the comic and i just wanted to know what you guys thought was more important to comis story or the art?
As long as the art isn't horrible (eg. looks like a 5 y/o drew the pictures), I can get into almost any story.... IF it's written well.

Take Secret Wars I for instance,

The art isn't much to talk about, but the story makes it one of the best ever written.

The same can be said about the Great Darkness Saga, and so on....

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 4th, 2007 05:48 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Well, on one hand, the story is a class one hundred brick with unparalleled fighting skills.

Art, though, has an insane healing factor, and Art's repulsor rays have taken out high level bricks before.

The speed difference between them is nothing to note, and I'd say story is a bit smarter....

Story, 7/10.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post May 4th, 2007 06:02 PM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote