KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Sol's Anvil vs...

Sol's Anvil vs...
Started by: Galan007

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Sol's Anvil vs...

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

"The most powerful weapon ever constructed solely by man" blasts each of the following characters:

-Absorbing Man
-HotM Hulk
-Void (crab)
-Odin in the Destroyer armor (teh 2,000ft version!)
-Full powered Tyrant
-Abraxas
-WPOTC
-Galactus (assume he's devoured 4 planets in preparation)
-The 4th Celestial Host/Exitar
-Thanos /w/ IG

The characters being blasted by Sol's Anvil cannot attack it directly. They must stand in one place and take the blast head-on. However, IF a character is capable of manifesting shielding under their OWN power, they may do so to help defend against the blast--but that is the ONLY defense aside from sheer durability they may utilize... Also assume the Anvil is fully charged/functional before blasting each character (obviously.)

That said... How do they fare against it?

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 2nd, 2012 at 04:51 PM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 04:49 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Re: Sol's Anvil vs...

Dead -Absorbing Man
Dead -HotM Hulk
Dead -Void (crab)
Destroyed -Odin in the Destroyer armor (teh 2,000ft version!)
Dead -Full powered Tyrant
Injured? Not sure -Abraxas
Injured/Fine -WPOTC
Dead/Seriously injured -Galactus (assume he's devoured 4 planets in preparation)
Dead -The 4th Celestial Host/Exitar
Totally fine -Thanos /w/ IG

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 06:09 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ thumb up for the most part.

WPTOC has no feats. I'd put her in the dead category to be resurrected some years later.

I'd also put Galactus in the dead category. Sol's Anvil knocked a combined Celestial on it's ass, the same one that one-shotted the Galactus that ate 4 planets.

Revamped Thor Respect Thread Revamped Loki Respect Thread
Revamped Hulk Respect Thread Revamped Iron Man Respect Thread

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 06:14 PM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

quote: (post)
Originally posted by OneDumbG0

WPTOC has no feats. I'd put her in the dead category to be resurrected some years later.

I'd also put Galactus in the dead category. Sol's Anvil knocked a combined Celestial on it's ass, the same one that one-shotted the Galactus that ate 4 planets.

Yeah, Abraxas and WPOTC have zero durability feats. Total shot in the dark.

'Be.'

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 06:28 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Parmaniac
Evincar of KMC

What the hell does WPOTC stand for?

“I once had an entire race killed just to listen to the rattling of their dried bones as I waded through them.” —Volrath

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 06:32 PM
Parmaniac is currently offline Click here to Send Parmaniac a Private Message Find more posts by Parmaniac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

White Phoenix of the Crown.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 06:38 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Utrigita

Didn't it more dissolve the armor combining the Celestials then actually hurting them? I mean the 3 remaining Celestials after the attack looked fine.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2012 10:23 PM
Utrigita is currently offline Click here to Send Utrigita a Private Message Find more posts by Utrigita Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doon

Originally posted by Utrigita
Didn't it more dissolve the armor combining the Celestials then actually hurting them? I mean the 3 remaining Celestials after the attack looked fine.

I doubt it actually hurt the Celestials, although it certainly affected them to the point they could no longer maintain their Voltron-like form. In my opinion, Sol's Anvil just gave them a good shock to the system.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2012 04:33 AM
Doon is currently offline Click here to Send Doon a Private Message Find more posts by Doon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

Not sure what to make out of the Sol Anvil. Best I can describe it is a weaponized sun.

Does it takes the Sun's energy, and multiply it...or simply channel its power? If its the later, Phoenix did just fine being at the heart of a Sun going Super Nova.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2012 05:57 AM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It channels energy from multiple sources (see the second scan in the OP.)

Last edited by Galan007 on Mar 3rd, 2012 at 04:59 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2012 04:56 PM
Doon

Originally posted by "Id"
Not sure what to make out of the Sol Anvil. Best I can describe it is a weaponized sun.

Does it takes the Sun's energy, and multiply it...or simply channel its power? If its the later, Phoenix did just fine being at the heart of a Sun going Super Nova.

As per Future Franklin, Sol's Anvil = "The power of the sun, channeled through a fixed point, buttressed by the Earth herself.."

So, yes, I assume it's the latter.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2012 05:19 PM
Doon is currently offline Click here to Send Doon a Private Message Find more posts by Doon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

If its the later, Phoenix did just fine being at the heart of a Sun going Super Nova.
For what it's worth, BRB preformed a feat very similar--but I doubt very much that he could survive a blast from Sol's Anvil. /shrug

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2012 05:27 PM
Cogito

Originally posted by Utrigita

Originally posted by Doon
I doubt it actually hurt the Celestials, although it certainly affected them to the point they could no longer maintain their Voltron-like form. In my opinion, Sol's Anvil just gave them a good shock to the system.

The Anvil destroyed a form that was presumably greater than the sum of its parts. I mean, if it made them weaker, why would they do it?

'Be.'

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 12:49 AM
Doon

Originally posted by Cogito
The Anvil destroyed a form that was presumably greater than the sum of its parts. I mean, if it made them weaker, why would they do it?

Sol's Anvil did, in fact, destroy their unified form. When all was said and done though, they were just restored to their original forms, i.e., three Celestials and one dead one (originally defeated by Galactus). And they only took on the unified form in the first place to battle the aforementioned Galactus. My point is, whether or not the Celestials were affected by Sol's Anvil (which they obviously were), the weapon didn't even come close to stopping them. To be honest, I don't even think the Celestials really process pain the way humans and similar organisms do.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 01:26 AM
ODG

^ Sol's Anvil did better than a Galactus that fed on 4 planets. Who, in turn, had been handily dealing with 4 individual Mad Celestials.

If it just redirected a small focused portion of the Sun's power, I'd agree it doesn't sound impressive in context. But then again, we see what Superman does with an infinitesimal portion of the Sun's energy.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 01:39 AM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doon

^ Sol's Anvil did better than a Galactus that fed on 4 planets. Who, in turn, had been handily dealing with 4 individual Mad Celestials. If it just redirected a small focused portion of the Sun's power, I'd agree it doesn't sound impressive in context. But then again, we see what Superman does with an infinitesimal portion of the Sun's energy.

Well, Galactus was able to take out one of the 4 Mad Celestials, leaving only 3 behind, which is fairly impressive. Had the other three chosen not to combine, I don't think Sol's Anvil would have taken all 3 of them down in one shot. Perhaps it would have stopped one of them, however, leaving just 2. It's hard to tell since we don't know how much more powerful Voltron Celestial is in comparison to the other three in their original forms. I'm also curious if the other 3 were able to siphon off remaining energies from the Celestial who fell to Galactus, adding some of his power to their own.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 02:02 AM
ODG

Originally posted by Doon
Well, Galactus was able to take out one of the 4 Mad Celestials, leaving only 3 behind, which is fairly impressive. Had the other three chosen not to combine, I don't think Sol's Anvil would have taken all 3 of them down in one shot. Perhaps it would have stopped one of them, however, leaving just 2. It's hard to tell since we don't know how much more powerful Voltron Celestial is in comparison to the other three in their original forms. I'm also curious if the other 3 were able to siphon off remaining energies from the Celestial who fell to Galactus, adding some of his power to their own.
The Voltron Celestial was FAR MORE powerful in comparison to the other three in their original forms. All four individual Mad Celestials attacked Galactus simultaneously and Galactus tanked their attacks and even defeated one of them outright. This same Galactus got one-shotted by the Voltron Celestial. The difference in power should be apparent.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 06:28 AM
guy222
With my gal

WPOTC have my opinion on Jean

Celestials just awesome

Most powerful by man....Go FF laughing out loud

Most powerful weapon in the Multiverse...anyone remember what that is I do smile smile

thank u bz

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 06:44 AM
guy222 is currently offline Click here to Send guy222 a Private Message Find more posts by guy222 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Desaad

Galactus never had a chance to attack the Voltron Celestial, though, so we don't know if he might have been able to shatter it the way that Sol's Anvil did/does. Obviously being that they combined the power of 3 celestials and then presumably used the casing of the one dead Celestial for extra armor they had a lot more firepower at their disposal, but not necessarily that much more durability. Could be, but we just don't know, and it isn't as if Galactus tried and failed.

As mentioned, the description of the weapon was that it channeled a bunch of energy from the sun into a blast, which is not at all impressive considering we've seen characters like Mad-God Sector 3600 throw entire suns at Green Lanterns before and, indeed, one of DC's big villains is a sentient sun (and characters like Pheonix feed on suns!).

But it probably IS a very serious portion of the sun's energy -- a careful reading of HIckman's run shows what I believe to be a subtle retcon -- that the apocalyptic future of Millar's Defenders (from his FF run -- the guys that later went to Nu Earth, before it was destroyed by Galactus in Hickman's run) came about when 'the sun suddenly and inexplicably dimmed' (that isn't the exact phrasing, but it's close enough).

So the use of Sol's Anvil here is what causes the Defender's future to exist in the first place.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 07:02 AM
Desaad is currently offline Click here to Send Desaad a Private Message Find more posts by Desaad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ The idea that Sol's Anvil only channeled a portion of the Sun's energy shouldn't diminish the power it demonstrated. In comics, the Sun's energy has its own share of low and high feats.

On one end of the spectrum, channeling 1/5th of the Sun's energy merely healed Galactus to normal levels in the epilogue to Chaos War even when he wasn't geometrically shrinking.

On the other end of the spectrum, Superman sitting in the Sun for only a few minutes empowered him to levels that outmuscled a Warworld's FTL engines amped by Imperiex's energies.

Sol's Anvil should be measured by what it accomplished, not what energy it harnessed. It's the most reliable way to measure it considering the above. The theory connecting Hickman to Millar is certainly interesting though. It certainly would have been a convenient, clever and completely sensical opportunity to reinforce continuity. In that vein, I was anticipating that Doom would use his MoD powers to stall the Mad Celestials but that didn't happen obviously.

Last edited by ODG on Mar 4th, 2012 at 07:21 AM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2012 07:18 AM