KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » KMC Superhero/villain Types Thread

KMC Superhero/villain Types Thread
Started by: Newjak

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

KMC Superhero/villain Types Thread

I'm making this thread because we have a thread for defining power levels like Trans, Meta, Herald. I want to make a thread for Comicbook powerset types, like 'Brick', 'Speedster', 'Martial Artist', etc.

One reason being that I think it could be fun to see what as a board we can come up with for classes of superheroes and how many we can come up with, another is I think that sometimes we have a general assumption of what a term like brick is but it may not always be the same for everyone, and I think this could help new people on the board become more adapt at how we define things on KMC.

So what I would like is for people to give a type of powerset, define it, then give an example of characters that fall in it both low end or high end. Once I feel a general consensus is met I'll edit into the front pages.

Please don't go over Trans level beings when trying to define types of characters.

Example(This is not the definitive definition, it's just an example and open to debate):
Brick/Tank - A character possessing super levels of durability, and strength. Any other powers they have generally help with their physical nature as a front line fighter like a healing factor. They can possess some degree of super speed but often not much, and they are ground based and can not fly. They don't possess any ranged attacks other than what their strength provides them such as Thunder-Claps.

Low-range: Luke Cage
Mid-range: Thing, Rhino, Colossus
High-range: Mangog, Juggernaut, Hulk, The General(Shaggy-Man)

I'm going to sticky this to the top of the Vs Section because this is where the most attention is. If it's successful I'll move it over the Comic Book section and keep it there.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 05:54 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Speedster - a Speedster would be someone who ONLY has superspeed or speed based abilities for a power. Much like a brick would be someone who is only strong and durable (for the most part). i.e. Superman would not count as a brick or a speedster. Neither would the SS. Even though both are as fast as many "speedsters".

Low: Quicksilver
Mid: Makkari
High: Zoom, Flash

Elementals - Characters who wield and manipulate a fundamental force of nature.

Low: Storm, Human Torch
Mid: Red Tornado
High: Magneto, Captain Atom, Iceman etc.

Time manipulators - The characters who can use their powers to manipulate time.
Low: Clock master
Mid: Hourman 1M, Chronos
High: Time-trapper, Immortus

Reality Manipulators These characters can manipulate the fabric of reality itself.
Low:?
Mid: The Doctor, Jenny quantum
High: Franklin Richards, True Legion, Mad Jim Jaspers, Mr. Mxyzptlk

Psionics - These characters can use TP/TK to affect minds and their enviornments.
Low: Hellion
Mid: Proffesor X, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, God like Cable
High: Starro, Shaman X-man Necrom.

Teleporter - People who possess the power to teleport either themselves or others.
Low: Nightcrawler
Mid:???
High: Blink

Flying Brick - Someone that possesses flight, super-strength, and increased durability. They also possess super-speed and can also have some form of energy based attack

Low-Level: ...
Mid-Level: Namor, Captain Britain
High-Level: Superman, Gladiator, Captain Marvel

Adapters - They are able to adapt to their opponents.
Low:???
Mid: Nimrod
High: Doomsday, The Fury

sig by Rao Kal El

Last edited by Newjak on Oct 25th, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 05:55 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Future use*

sig by Rao Kal El

Newjak
I am Beyond Power

*Future use*

sig by Rao Kal El

Digi
Forum Leader

Good luck. The tiers thread was closed years ago, so we technically don't have it anymore (at least not an updated one).

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 06:21 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

Not a versust thread.

Reported

no expression

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 06:23 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Energy manipulator: A character with powers usually involving the ability to project, control, and manipulate some kind of energy, sometimes multiple kinds. They often can have other powers but mostly rely on their energy powers.

Examples:

Low-range: Gambit, Wasp, Bishop (excluding his high-end feats)

Mid-range: Dr. Light, Invisible Woman, Magneto

High-range: Green Lanterns, Silver Surfer, Quasar

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 09:36 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gecko4lif

Magic user
mentalist
Realty warper

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 10:12 PM
Gecko4lif is currently offline Click here to Send Gecko4lif a Private Message Find more posts by Gecko4lif Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PillarofOsiris

IMO a Speedster would be someone who ONLY has superspeed for a power. Much like brick would be someone who is only strong and durable (for the most part). i.e. Superman would not count as a brick or a speedster. Neither would the SS. Even though both are as fast as many "speedsters".

low-range: Quicksilver

mid-range: Makkari

high-range: Zoom, Flash

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 10:23 PM
PillarofOsiris is currently offline Click here to Send PillarofOsiris a Private Message Find more posts by PillarofOsiris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

Re: KMC Superhero/villain Types Thread

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Newjak
I'm making this thread because we have a thread for defining power levels like Trans, Meta, Herald. I want to make a thread for Comicbook powerset types, like 'Brick', 'Speedster', 'Martial Artist', etc.

One reason being that I think it could be fun to see what as a board we can come up with for classes of superheroes and how many we can come up with, another is I think that sometimes we have a general assumption of what a term like brick is but it may not always be the same for everyone, and I think this could help new people on the board become more adapt at how we define things on KMC.

So what I would like is for people to give a type of powerset, define it, then give an example of characters that fall in it both low end or high end. Once I feel a general consensus is met I'll edit into the front pages.

Please don't go over Trans level beings when trying to define types of characters.

Example(This is not the definitive definition, it's just an example and open to debate):
Brick/Tank - A character possessing super levels of durability, and strength. Any other powers they have generally help with their physical nature as a front line fighter like a healing factor. They can possess some degree of super speed but often not much, and they are ground based and can not fly. They don't possess any ranged attacks other than what their strength provides them such as Thunder-Claps.

Low-range: Luke Cage
Mid-range: Thing, Rhino, Colossus
High-range: Mangog, Juggernaut, Hulk, The General(Shaggy-Man)

I'm going to sticky this to the top of the Vs Section because this is where the most attention is. If it's successful I'll move it over the Comic Book section and keep it there.
no

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 10:27 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by PillarofOsiris
IMO a Speedster would be someone who ONLY has superspeed for a power. Much like brick would be someone who is only strong and durable (for the most part). i.e. Superman would not count as a brick or a speedster. Neither would the SS. Even though both are as fast as many "speedsters".

low-range: Quicksilver

mid-range: Makkari

high-range: Zoom, Flash
I agree speedsters are beings with only superspeed or speed based powers

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 11:00 PM
Blair Wind
The Iron Avenger

I like the idea of having something like this on KMC.

Here is a wikipedia list that could serve as a foundation:

EDIT: For some reason each time I try to link using the original URL it gets cut off and won't work. Weird.

Go here http://tinyurl.com/ng9ojh

>010010100100000101010010010101100100100101010011<

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 11:03 PM
Blair Wind is currently offline Click here to Send Blair Wind a Private Message Find more posts by Blair Wind Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Originally posted by Blair Wind
I like the idea of having something like this on KMC.

Here is a wikipedia list that could serve as a foundation:

EDIT: For some reason each time I try to link using the original URL it gets cut off and won't work. Weird.

Go here http://tinyurl.com/ng9ojh

That list includes Haruhi sick

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 11:34 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harbinger
Firestorm

So Pietro's no longer amped by the Terrigan Mists, I take it?

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 12:07 AM
Harbinger is currently offline Click here to Send Harbinger a Private Message Find more posts by Harbinger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Originally posted by Harbinger
So Pietro's no longer amped by the Terrigan Mists, I take it?

If he was he would be a beast.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 09:39 AM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Elementals: Characters who wield and manipulate a fundamental force of nature.
Low: Storm
Mid: Red Tornado
High: Magneto, Captain Atom, Iceman etc.

Last edited by abhilegend on Aug 19th, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 11:23 AM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
keiththegreat

We need a name a for characters like Superman, Hyperion, Gladiator, Supergirl, Supreme, Majestic, etc

Capes? the only problem is some characters wear capes who don't fit this mold.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 02:27 PM
keiththegreat is currently offline Click here to Send keiththegreat a Private Message Find more posts by keiththegreat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psycho gundam
The Nightmare of Solomon

you just used their names, and we got the point. that was easy

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 02:44 PM
psycho gundam is currently offline Click here to Send psycho gundam a Private Message Find more posts by psycho gundam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by keiththegreat
We need a name a for characters like Superman, Hyperion, Gladiator, Supergirl, Supreme, Majestic, etc

Capes? the only problem is some characters wear capes who don't fit this mold.
I've always called them brawlers cause that seems to be their niche as the take on any kind of threat. Although Super-Brawlers might be better. They possess super strentgh speed durability and flight. They often have some form of energy attack for long range. They often have high levels of resistence to different types of attacks which help in their role as front line fighter.

Superman is an example of high end.

Namor would be an example of mid range.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 05:21 PM
PillarofOsiris

I don't think I would put Namor in that grouping. He has a different power set entirely. Superman, Majestic, Hyperion, Gladiator, etc, are all super strong, durable, can fly, are super fast, have heat vision, etc. I've always called them "Superman Clones", although that's not the catchiest name I suppose. Namor on the other hand has no super speed, no heat vision, and can breath underwater (although some of the Superman Clones can too, I suppose). Also his power is tied to being wet.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2012 05:34 PM
PillarofOsiris is currently offline Click here to Send PillarofOsiris a Private Message Find more posts by PillarofOsiris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote