KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Rank Their Rogues Galleries

Rank Their Rogues Galleries
Started by: JakeTheBank

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Rank Their Rogues Galleries

Rank their rogues galleries from greatest to least in terms of threat level (in terms of actual power, intellect, resources, etc.). This is counting actual rogues/recurring enemies, not one off time threats or big event villains that never return.

Superman
Dr. Strange
Batman
Hulk
Green Lantern
Thor
Wonder Woman
Iron Man
Flash
Captain America

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 08:47 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

they aren't the most powerful, but for my money, Batman has some of the best rogues in comicdom. Every one of them is a study in human psychology when done well.

EDIT: I'd probably go with Strange in terms of power. Aren't like ancient demons and such included among his rogues?

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 08:53 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Rank Their Rogues Galleries

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Dr. Strange
Flash
Thor
Superman
Green Lantern
Batman
Iron Man
Captain America

Unsure of where to put Wonder Woman and Hulk

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 08:54 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Oliver North
they aren't the most powerful, but for my money, Batman has some of the best rogues in comicdom. Every one of them is a study in human psychology when done well.

EDIT: I'd probably go with Strange in terms of power. Aren't like ancient demons and such included among his rogues?

Batman easily has the most iconic group of villains in comics, agreed, with the likes of Spider-Man and Superman behind him. And yeah, all of his villains have some sort of psychosis and a tragic element to them, which is something that some writers have gotten away from.

Strange does face off against demons, other sorcerers, elder gods, and other mystical/supernatural threats of great importance.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 08:57 PM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

No Spider-man? He has the best rogue gallery.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:00 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Strange does face off against demons, other sorcerers, elder gods, and other mystical/supernatural threats of great importance.

Yeah, that was my methodology.

Strange has enemies that can rewrite multiple dimensions and universes.

Flash villains can rewrite entire timelines.

Superman/GL/Thor villains are largely potential planet-destroyers. Any of those 3 could be in some order.

Batman over IM villains is probably my lone upset.

Obviously every heroes villains present SOME threat, but Cap's belong at the bottom.

Last edited by Digi on Jun 24th, 2013 at 09:04 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:02 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by srankmissingnin
No Spider-man? He has the best rogue gallery.

Thought about it, but I didn't want to go overboard and tried to keep the lists at a manageable number. Spidey, X-Men, and the F4 were the choices I strongly considered adding.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:04 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Who are WW's recurrings? And Hulk...who knows. Either he's last, or a couple rogue planet-killers bump him up toward GL range.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:04 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Originally posted by Digi
Obviously every heroes villains present SOME threat, but Cap's belong at the bottom.

Cosmic Cube Red Skull, Moonstones Zemo?

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:07 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by Digi
Who are WW's recurrings? And Hulk...who knows. Either he's last, or a couple rogue planet-killers bump him up toward GL range.

Diana's foes (at least pre-reboot) include: Ares, Cheetah, Circe, Silver Swan, Dr. Psycho, and Giganta (obviously, there's quite a few more, but those are the most frequent and pervasive). I'd say her foes are around the same "type" (though perhaps not to the same degree) as Thor's. She deals with primarily gods/mythological beings, conventional super villains, the occasional cosmic/alien threat, and everything in between.

Hulk's rogues need a shot in the arm, imo.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:09 PM
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Diana's foes (at least pre-reboot) include: Ares, Cheetah, Circe, Silver Swan, Dr. Psycho, and Giganta (obviously, there's quite a few more, but those are the most frequent and pervasive). I'd say her foes are around the same "type" (though perhaps not to the same degree) as Thor's. She deals with primarily gods/mythological beings, conventional super villains, the occasional cosmic/alien threat, and everything in between.

Hulk's rogues need a shot in the arm, imo.

He's got Thor and Thor's got him in their respective galleries.

They've faced off sooo many times they should be included.

stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:12 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I would also actually argue that in terms of consistent threat level, Cap's enemies operate on a larger scale than Batman's.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:12 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Both are obviously recurring, but are we granting them their baubles? I was not. Of course, my opinion changes if we include the artifacts.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:15 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

Batman easily has the most iconic group of villains in comics, agreed, with the likes of Spider-Man and Superman behind him.

You think Superman's rogue gallery is really that iconic? I don't think a random person on the street would be able to name more than Lex and Zod... although it now occurs to me that sadly that might be enough for the number three spot. Doubt civies can name a single Hulk, Flash, WW, GL or Dr Strange rogue, let alone two. Might get a Loki response for Thor and Red Skull for Cap.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:16 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

You think Superman's rogue gallery is really that iconic? I don't think a random person on the street would be able to name more than Lex and Zod... although it now occurs to me that sadly that might be enough for the number three spot. Doubt civies can name a single Hulk, Flash, WW, GL or Dr Strange rogue, let alone two. Might get a Loki response for Thor and Red Skull for Cap.

I do, yeah.

Brainiac and Bizarro are both referenced fairly often by non-comic book fans (calling a smart guy "brainiac", calling a weird situation or occurance being stuck in "Bizarro World"). Doomsday is also fairly well known by the general public, especially if you ask "Who was the guy who killed Superman?".

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:19 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I do, yeah.

Brainiac and Bizarro are both referenced fairly often by non-comic book fans (calling a smart guy "brainiac", calling a weird situation or occurance being stuck in "Bizarro World"). Doomsday is also fairly well known by the general public, especially if you ask "Who was the guy who killed Superman?".

I'm going to call shenanigans on all three of those points. Calling a smart person brainiac is not a reference to Brainiac, and a bizarro world reference has been ingrained into popular culture for so long that most people have no idea what the original reference refers to. I wear a Batzarro hat almost every day and people are always asking me "Why is the Bat-symbol upside down?" and I tell them that it's Batzarro... which that leads to me explaining who Batzarro is, and what the Bizzaro world is, and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

If you asked 100 random people who killed Superman. You get a bunch of "Lex Luther?" and probably as many or more people saying Hulk then you would Doomsday.

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Jun 24th, 2013 at 09:28 PM

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:26 PM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I'm going to call shenanigans on all three of those points. Calling a smart person brainiac is not a reference to Brainiac, and a bizarro world reference has been ingrained into popular culture for so long that most people have no idea what the original reference refers to. I wear a Batzarro hat almost every day and people are always asking me "Why is the Bat-symbol upside down?" and I tell them that it's Batzarro... which that leads to me explaining who Batzarro is, and what the Bizzaro world is, and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

If you asked 100 random people who killed Superman. You get a bunch of "Lex Luther?" and probably as many or more people saying Hulk then you would Doomsday.

*shrug*

I'd like to think I hang out with a lot of non-comic book/superhero fans/followers, and most people I've talked to, including strangers, can name at least three or four Superman villains (Mxy, oddly enough, comes up quite a bit, even if they butcher his name). To that end, I'd definitely argue that Superman's villains are likely the third most well known or popular rogues gallery behind Batman and Spider-Man.

Considering Doomsday has made the news way back when, I'm thinking more people would know who he is, even if they may not recall his actual name ("big grey dude with spikes?").

It could be a regional thing, though, idk. I'm about three hours or so away from Chicago and most people my age who don't regularly read comics or whatever know the basics of these characters and what not. Heck, even people in my parent's generation know quite a bit.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:33 PM
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

If people could remember everything that was in the news two decades ago, the human race would be a lot smarter than it is.

I'm the only person in my group of friends and acquaintances that reads comics, and everyone knows it so I have to field questions all the time, and my experience is that most people don't know shit about comics. I've lost count of how many times I've had to answer "Who would win in a fight? Superman or Goku?" The same guy asks me the same question every couple months, and my answer is always the same, and he is always shocked by it. Most people just don't have super heroes in their head space. My friends are mostly genre savy people with a pretty good base understanding of geek culture, and I would think they know more about comic characters than the average no reader, not less.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:43 PM
Senor Cage

Flash, Batman, Spider-Man.

Close thread.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 09:57 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

Re: Rank Their Rogues Galleries

Rank their rogues galleries from greatest to least in terms of threat level (in terms of actual power, intellect, resources, etc.). This is counting actual rogues/recurring enemies, not one off time threats or big event villains that never return.

Batman
Hulk
Captain America

Strange
Thor
GL
Superman
Flash
Diana
Tony
Cap
Hulk
Bruce

imho based on average power

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Jun 24th, 2013 10:01 PM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote