KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Useless team member cut

Useless team member cut
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (12): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Useless team member cut

Cut the most useless member of the following teams, however you personally define useless...lack of power, redundancy, bad attitude, whatever.
In the cases of the JLA, JSA and Avengers, who have had so many classic line ups, please state which line up you're talking about. Add any team you'd like as well.

Fantastic Four-Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben

Authority-Jenny Quantum, apollo, Midnighter, Hawksmoor, Engineer, Doctor, Swift

Defenders-Dr. Strange, Namor, Hulk, Silver Surfer, Nighthawk, Valkrie, Hellcat

Alpha Flight-Guardian, Puck, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Shaman, Aurora, Northstar, Marinna

JLA-various

JSA-various

Avengers-various

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 08:33 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Green Arrow from JLA, he has no real purpose on the team except as Black Canarys bf, same with Hawkeye in the Avengers for that matter

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 09:56 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Perfectly valid.
I like the archers, personally. Realistically they bring more with their personalities than their power set. Still, i'd never sell them short in a fight.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 10:23 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Re: Useless team member cut

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Cut the most useless member of the following teams, however you personally define useless...lack of power, redundancy, bad attitude, whatever.
In the cases of the JLA, JSA and Avengers, who have had so many classic line ups, please state which line up you're talking about. Add any team you'd like as well.

Fantastic Four-Reed, Sue, Johnny, Ben

Defenders-Dr. Strange, Namor, Hulk, Silver Surfer, Nighthawk, Valkrie, Hellcat

Alpha Flight-Guardian, Puck, Sasquatch, Snowbird, Shaman, Aurora, Northstar, Marinna

JLA-various

JSA-various

Avengers-various

Fantastic Four - has to be Ben or Johnny, and if I have to pick one I'll go with Ben.

Reed has the brains & tech and considering the things he's done over the years he can do more with prep against more powerful enemies than anyone else on the team. With a little prep he could solo the rest of the team. Sue has the most power and with no prep could solo the rest of the team, and the whole PMS aspect of her modern personality makes her a dangerous opponent. Johnny's flame and flight come in handy too and he has the nova blast, potentially the team's most devastating single attack. As for Thing... he has strength. No speed, no flight, no particular brains, no other powers.

If they need a building held up? Sue can do it with force fields.
Need to smash down a wall? Sue can probably do something with ff or Johnny can blast it.
Need to fight a brick? If he's Thing level or lower Sue can probably beat him with ff. If he's more powerful than Thing she probably still has a better chance with her power levels these days.

JLA - Aquaman. The guy can just swim fast. OK just kidding, Black Canary or Green Arrow. They are both kind of redundant and underpowered, but no denying the archers are useful sometimes, just ask Hawkeye.

JSA - that patriot/america guy, or whoever that guy with the whip was. Don't remember him or his name, can't even be bothered googling him. He has no right to be on that team.

Defenders - Nighthawk. I once made a thread about who can Nighthawk actually defeat and I think the conclusive answer was nobody. I don't think he ever won an actual fight. I think he hit Spider-Man across the room once which was probably the pinnacle of his career.

I will have to think about some of the others.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 01:12 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
janus77
Banana Genius

Avengers - Thor.

Hawkeye's an obvious choice, but I think this is a reasonable one too.

For the more powerful Avengers line-up, Thor is basically just another flying brick, but Hype does the "Hulk-level" stuff, Skinny starman does the Silver Surfer-lite feats etc.

The "One man army" stuff, demolishing the opposition, that's Hulk's forte more often than not.

And we don't see him doing anything at all, when it comes to magic, so yes ... extraneous team member.

Are you a Glinting Bastard?

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 01:27 PM
janus77 is currently offline Click here to Send janus77 a Private Message Find more posts by janus77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by riv6672

Was gonna say Apollo. Then I remembered Swift. She's kinda the definition of this thread.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:31 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Yeah, Swift absolutely for the Authority. Useless.

Batman and Robin - Robin. He's like a redundant Batman-lite but not as good at prep, fighting, deductive reasoning, gadgets, etc. Isn't filthy rich. Doesn't look cool, or intimidating, doesn't have a batmobile or a batcave, or a mansion, can't say things like "I'm Batman!" or "I'm the goddamn Batman!" Stick to the Titans, Robin. There's a reason why they don't let you into the JLA.

Simon Baz - is he in a team yet? If so then Simon Baz for that team. Worthless character.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:47 PM
basilisk is currently offline Click here to Send basilisk a Private Message Find more posts by basilisk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Re: Useless team member cut

[QUOTE=14907193]Originally posted by riv6672
[B]
Fantastic Four-Cut: Ben

Authority- Swift

Defenders- Valkyrie. You need a mystic who's not as good as strange, a flying brick not as good as Namor, or a land brick not as good as Hulk? Hellcat has her demonic powers, and Nighthawk can lead, at least.

Alpha Flight-Tbf, the entire team's useless.

JLA-Green Arrow was the conscience of the team. Hawkman was pretty useless, until they got him Thangarian tech. Otherwise, Huntress.

JSA-Mr America. Was gonna say Ma Hunkel, but she's too important. Maybe Wildcat - at least AMerica has some range. When one of your powers is I have 8 lives, that's kinda shitty.

Avengers-Spiderman.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:56 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zopzop
Lord of the Great Abyss

Re: Re: Useless team member cut

Originally posted by DarkSaint85

Alpha Flight-Tbf, the entire team's useless.

Shot fired! Summoning K-M!

..even the outer hells are indifferent matters for they bow only to potent and archaic Nodens.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 04:01 PM
zopzop is currently offline Click here to Send zopzop a Private Message Find more posts by zopzop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Meh!

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 04:07 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
basilisk

Alpha Flight - Marrina. Just not required and not a very good character anyway.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 04:25 PM
golem370

Everybody is forgetting X-Men

Juggernaut66666 made sig

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 04:36 PM
golem370 is currently offline Click here to Send golem370 a Private Message Find more posts by golem370 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Originally posted by -K-M-
Meh!
Where is the two page scan dump letting everyone know AF is the best!?

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 05:15 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
pym-ftw
Mizukage

Pym from the Illuminati.

He is only on the team because he is smart, but he is very against their line of thinking.

Though its cool to see Yellow Jacket back.

I'm not Joking, Boy
Ignore list: Abhi for the sake of the forum.
53>6.6
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCAMfDmX86o
My YouTube

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 05:30 PM
pym-ftw is currently offline Click here to Send pym-ftw a Private Message Find more posts by pym-ftw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by golem370
Everybody is forgetting X-Men

X-Men-tbf, the entire team is useless.

Really interesting choices and rasoning. By interesting i dont necessarily mean good, in some cases, but thats not what this is about.
Cant say i disagree on Mr. America. Indiana Jones he's not.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 08:38 PM
wuleecat

In Squadron Supreme( JMS version) , either Power Princess or Whizzer. Power Princess because she wasn't as strong/fast/cool as Hyperion. Whizzer was a really useless version of Quicksilver, and his name makes him sound as though he has incontinence issues. Oh, I forgot about 'fish-girl' (she's so crap I can't even remember her name!) All she ever seemed to do was run out of water and have to get rescued by Spectrum. So, quite a few to choose from on that team.

As far as the X-Men ( or the various x-incarnations go) is there anyone even in the same ballpark as the uselessness that is Jubilee?

As for the Fantastic Four, I am going to take a risk here and say Reed. Specifically, Reed's stretchiness. As a power, it's always seemed pretty redundant to me in any encounter, since he is usually written as a sort of human Pez dispenser as far as 'solutions' go. Usually his stretchiness is just a gimmicky thing used by the artist to jazz up the page a bit: "Ooh look, Reed's really concerned. Look how he's wrapped his arms round Sue twelve times. Ooh look, Reed's thinking super-hard - look how his skull has stretched to six times its normal size." I think a cool plot development would be to make Reed really really stupid for a few issues, and see if his rubberiness would help out the team that much.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 09:57 PM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Fantastic Four ... gonna go with the Torch as the one to boot. Sue can pretty much be the "energy projector/manipulator" of the group, but she's a glass cannon. There should be a brick/tank around, good for melee, to balance things out.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 10:03 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by wuleecat
In Squadron Supreme( JMS version) , either Power Princess or Whizzer. Power Princess because she wasn't as strong/fast/cool as Hyperion. Whizzer was a really useless version of Quicksilver, and his name makes him sound as though he has incontinence issues. Oh, I forgot about 'fish-girl' (she's so crap I can't even remember her name!) All she ever seemed to do was run out of water and have to get rescued by Spectrum. So, quite a few to choose from on that team.

As far as the X-Men ( or the various x-incarnations go) is there anyone even in the same ballpark as the uselessness that is Jubilee?

As for the Fantastic Four, I am going to take a risk here and say Reed. Specifically, Reed's stretchiness. As a power, it's always seemed pretty redundant to me in any encounter, since he is usually written as a sort of human Pez dispenser as far as 'solutions' go. Usually his stretchiness is just a gimmicky thing used by the artist to jazz up the page a bit: "Ooh look, Reed's really concerned. Look how he's wrapped his arms round Sue twelve times. Ooh look, Reed's thinking super-hard - look how his skull has stretched to six times its normal size." I think a cool plot development would be to make Reed really really stupid for a few issues, and see if his rubberiness would help out the team that much.

Bold choice on Reed. Good one, though.
To be fair, even he doesnt consider his power his main contribution to the team.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 10:13 PM
Caps Conscience

Wasp is by far the most useless Avenger.

Using the Report function is Ghey.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 11:51 PM
Caps Conscience is currently offline Click here to Send Caps Conscience a Private Message Find more posts by Caps Conscience Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Originally posted by Newjak
Where is the two page scan dump letting everyone know AF is the best!?

If they don't already know, they will never learn...that or I'm just lazy.

Old Post Sep 30th, 2014 12:28 AM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote