KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Rank the great Hero/Villain arch rivalries

Rank the great Hero/Villain arch rivalries
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Rank the great Hero/Villain arch rivalries

Spider-man/green Goblin
Superman/Lex Luthor
Reed Richards/Dr. Doom
Batman/Joker
Captain America/Red Skull

If you can round out a LEGIT top 10 thats great, but if not then just these 5.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 07:18 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

The only rivalry in that list is Reed vs Doom. Superman/Lex is entirely one-sided since Luthor just hates on Kal, Batman and the Joker cannot be compared or whatsoever, Steve and Schmitt don't compete on anything. Spidey and GG, while superior to Bats/Joker in everyway, are not really rivals so to speak.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 07:26 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Well, thats not how i see it, so thanks for posting and not ranking them. thumb up

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 07:31 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuleecat

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
The only rivalry in that list is Reed vs Doom. Superman/Lex is entirely one-sided since Luthor just hates on Kal, Batman and the Joker cannot be compared or whatsoever, Steve and Schmitt don't compete on anything. Spidey and GG, while superior to Bats/Joker in everyway, are not really rivals so to speak.

Agree with this - I guess it depends on how different a 'rival' is to an 'enemy' but Reed and Doom definitely stand head and shoulders above the others.
What about Bullseye and Daredevil, I'd say they were rivals. In the same vein, Hal Jordan and Sinestro were always rivals. Both of those pairs had a 'something 'they were trying to prove against the other based around their skill sets, and for me that's got a lot to do with a 'rivalry'.

If I had to rank your five Riv, I'd put Reed/Doom at one, then Cap/Red Skull, Batman and Joker, Superman/Luthor, Spidey/GG . The reason for putting Cap/Skull high up is that they were well-matched physically and at loggerheads ideologically, both fighting for their version of political 'rightness'. So, rivals.

Man you come up with some good thread ideas Riv. smile

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 07:43 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Good thread ideas till the first response focuses on one word and misses/ignores the main thrust of the OP. stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 07:47 AM
wuleecat

I'm interested in your own ranking of the ones you listed, and your reasons why they make great rivalries.

What about Thor/Loki - two siblings fighting for the approval of their father? That's a pretty classic rivalry right there, plus they have been at it for a long time and when they do throw down it is usually pretty spectacular, not like two normal brothers arguing about whose turn it is to wash the dishes.

Or am I still missing the main thrust of the OP? embarrasment

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 08:44 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Let's not rank non-rivalries as rivalries at all only to please the OP, when I enter KMC I expect high quality threads that can stand to a heavy amount of nitpicking. We need to have some standards.

Thor and Loki is an actual rivalry, good choice. Sinestro and Hal works too.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 08:59 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Silly me, i expect people to not fixate on a single word and derail threads because they're bored. I have standards too. smile

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:02 AM
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by riv6672
Silly me, i expect people to not fixate on a single word and derail threads because they're bored. I have standards too. smile

Ok, let's ignore what's posted on the actual thread and just focus in what you want.

If I focused on rivalries it was because I found the idea more appealing. Sorry for caring.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:07 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by wuleecat
I'm interested in your own ranking of the ones you listed, and your reasons why they make great rivalries.

What about Thor/Loki - two siblings fighting for the approval of their father? That's a pretty classic rivalry right there, plus they have been at it for a long time and when they do throw down it is usually pretty spectacular, not like two normal brothers arguing about whose turn it is to wash the dishes.

Or am I still missing the main thrust of the OP? embarrasment

No you got it.

I'd have to put Batman/Joker at the top. These two almost cant exist without the other.
Spidey/Goblin is right below. This is a blood feud pure and simple. It evolved so naturally in universe its scary.
Luthor/Superman and Doom/Reed are pretty even for me. The villains here might not even be villains if not for their obsession with the heroes, and the heroes have to deal with the fact that these people will always be in their lives.
Cap/Skull are war enemies who never grew old and died. Thats a special kind of hatred, as each hates not just the person but the ideology that person represents.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:09 AM
wuleecat

Pretty good reasons there.

What about Manta/Aquaman? I know Manta is a rubbish character and all, but the way he hates Aquaman so very very deeply makes this a bit more than your average good-guy/bad-guy dynamic.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 09:51 AM
riv6672

The DCnu versions of Aquaman/Manta have a pretty deep hatred for each other. It was really well built up during the first year or so of the new book.
I'd put Manta over Ocean Master in this category.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:05 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Manta is not rubbish...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:25 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Not at all. Suffered from Super Friends Syndrome though.
The DCnu has been good to the Aquaman mythos.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:30 AM
wuleecat

Originally posted by -Pr-
Manta is not rubbish...

Matter of opinion.
I just can't get past the stupid-looking helmet. And I think most of the dialogue he comes out with is pretty bleh.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:38 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by wuleecat
Manta is not rubbish...

Matter of opinion.
I just can't get past the stupid-looking helmet. And I think most of the dialogue he comes out with is pretty bleh.

We need a silly headgear thread. Manta's hemet, star Lord's hemet, Barda's....laughing out loud

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:42 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Manta, sure, the helmet is stupid. But he had an awesome arc during I think it was PADs run, and he's been excellent in the DCNU imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 10:50 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Ah dang it j forgot about PAD's take on him. Good good call!

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 11:02 AM
wuleecat

Manta, sure, the helmet is stupid. But he had an awesome arc during I think it was PADs run, and he's been excellent in the DCNU imo.

To be honest, I am basing my opinion on some older appearances of Manta's than the ones you mention, ones where he just seemed like an angry psycho without much motivation besides hate (like in "Justice"). I guess I need to get a bit more up to date.

And then I think about that helmet again...

Rive, start that thread please.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 01:54 PM
carver9

Sinestro and Hal
Wolverine and Sabertooth
Spiderman and Venom
Cyclops and Sinister
Hulk and Abomination
Superman and Darkseid
Joker and Batman
Odin and Mangog
Galactus and Tyrant
Captain America and Red Skull

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 02:22 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote