KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Comic Book Artists vs Writers on picking powers

Comic Book Artists vs Writers on picking powers
Started by: The Nuul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Squirrel Fart

Comic Book Artists vs Writers on picking powers

There are both great artists and writers. Sometimes their art is, great, good, okay art, but the writing sucks or the art sucks and the writing is great, good, okay, at times they both just suck. The artist does the art work and design, the writer makes the stories, character back stories, he writes.

When it comes down to creative control on picking powers for a character, who's job is that? who comes up with Super has these powers? it's a good idea or maybe he shouldn't have this/these power/powers?

So, artists vs writers.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2015 11:40 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

If this thread sucks, please close it.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2015 11:58 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One_Angry_Scot
----

Are you saying like. Say for example Sentry.

He has the power to manipulate molecules. Should that be the writers decision or the authors because to decide whether to actually implement that.

I guess it all depends on like you said if the artist is good bad. But I think it requires both.

Because again to use the Sentry example when he stopped Thor's hammer.

Rick Remender must have wrote something in the scripts saying "As the hammer is thrown at Sentry he will proceed to stop it in his place with his telekinesis/molecular manipulation").

I think it requires the 2 to work together because the artist can't work without direction (unless he is given it).

I mean obviously it changes if the Author and Artist are the same guy but I think it requires too.

Sorry if I answered this badly.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2015 12:10 AM
One_Angry_Scot is currently offline Click here to Send One_Angry_Scot a Private Message Find more posts by One_Angry_Scot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Meh things get lost in translation due to ill defined powersets

Old Post Jun 7th, 2015 12:19 AM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Nuul
If this thread sucks, please close it.
laughing out loud

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Jun 7th, 2015 12:25 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

quote: (post)
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Are you saying like. Say for example Sentry.

He has the power to manipulate molecules. Should that be the writers decision or the authors because to decide whether to actually implement that.

I guess it all depends on like you said if the artist is good bad. But I think it requires both.

Because again to use the Sentry example when he stopped Thor's hammer.

Rick Remender must have wrote something in the scripts saying "As the hammer is thrown at Sentry he will proceed to stop it in his place with his telekinesis/molecular manipulation").

I think it requires the 2 to work together because the artist can't work without direction (unless he is given it).

I mean obviously it changes if the Author and Artist are the same guy but I think it requires too.

Sorry if I answered this badly.

I agree that it takes both of them, one for creation then one for applying the powerset via art work, they must work together. Then there's the publisher like Marvel or DC that puts pressure on them because of the fans. So this is kinda a three way orgy, maybe rapeage from the publisher > writer/artist.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2015 03:14 PM
DarkSaint85

Grant Morrison, with his acid tripping powers. Fantomex, for example.Prometheus, Warmaker One, Zauriel, Xorn....

Stan Lee, who couldn't really draw but gave briefs on what he wanted.

On the other hand, Image comics.

So I reckon, writers.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2015 03:54 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

A lot of the time it seems like neither the writers nor artists actually know the "powers" they are supposed to be working with

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jun 17th, 2015 04:32 AM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote