KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Skill Vs. Ability! (Good thread maybe? Certainly different)

Skill Vs. Ability! (Good thread maybe? Certainly different)
Started by: Steve Zodiac

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Skill Vs. Ability! (Good thread maybe? Certainly different)

This is an unusual thread, and I don't know if it's in the correct forum. However, everyone bangs on that Wonderwoman and Hercules are skilled... That Wolverine and the Black Panther are skilled - All very well and good you say they clearly are and that can't be disagreed with. However, Hercules is ancient, and his skills don't seem to have improved much since maybe his first 100 years, Wonderwoman (bear with me I'm not up with the present iteration is also ancient by human terms). Furthermore being "gods" you'd expect them to have a better ability to learn, an enhanced set of motor skills. Which leads me on to Wolverine, he has had training, but he has always been a mutant with improved reflexes etc. The Panther is a skilled human, enhanced with herb and blessed by the spirits. They all have skills, but are they exceptionally skilled with their power set or just in combat arts and does this ability make a difference really?

Example, Spiderman (yeah I know he's been through changes) but Spidey developed his own skills based on his powers and reflexes. He is not a skilled Martial Artist, but after years of using his powers, he is experienced with them to the point, I'd take him over Wolverine without his claws any day. The Flash, has mad skills with his powers, Flash fact...Give Cap or Batman Hercules strength and see who wins in a fight Herc 1000's of years of experience or Cap and Batman?

Ben Grimm and Luke Cage, scale up their power to Hercs, trust me I don't think Herc wins.

So, what is this skill we are talking about and how does it stack up against the ability to use the powers a hero has effectively?

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 04:52 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

The way I define skill is an offense to defense ratio, how many blows you can land vs how many you can avoid/defend. All else being roughly equal physically.

I don't go by how many martial arts styles you know, because that's stupid as hell. What does knowing 127 styles of martial do other than waste your time with massive redundancies?

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 05:25 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CosmicComet
The way I define skill is an offense to defense ratio, how many blows you can land vs how many you can avoid/defend. All else being roughly equal physically.

I don't go by how many martial arts styles you know, because that's stupid as hell. What does knowing 127 styles of martial do other than waste your time with massive redundancies?
I don't think that's a bad way to define it at all and kind of what my initial post gets at. Good call pal.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 05:28 PM
Steve Zodiac is currently offline Click here to Send Steve Zodiac a Private Message Find more posts by Steve Zodiac Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
deathslash
Pyromaniacal Humanitarian

A good way of judging in general, but not necessarily the right way. Especially when there are characters like moon knight, punisher, wolverine, lobo, etc. All of the above fight by hitting their opponent while getting hit by their opponent.

this is very true. There comes a certain point when learning more styles won't help you. With that said, the more styles you know, the more likely it is that you'll recognize your opponents attack pattern and be capable of utilizing a pattern that counters them.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 05:48 PM
deathslash is currently offline Click here to Send deathslash a Private Message Find more posts by deathslash Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

There are some that can get away with being hit because they are durable or have healing factors or some other gimmick that makes getting hit ok. But that gets into abilities and muddies the water on pure skill discussions. Just because you are the most skilled fighter doesn't mean you are the best fighter anyway.

Still if you can mitigate the need for defense and constantly focus on attack, then your attack is going to be as effective as possible.

A 100% dedicated offense is better than an only 50% committed attack.

That's why an armored swordsman has a huge advantage over an unarmored swordsman, all else being equal.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 05:57 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carver9

Always enjoyed reading Cosmic posts. I can tell that he is an observant person and probably provides great details of things on whatever job/career he is doing. Good posts.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 06:00 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Re: Skill Vs. Ability! (Good thread maybe? Certainly different)

Originally posted by Steve Zodiac
This is an unusual thread, and I don't know if it's in the correct forum. However, everyone bangs on that Wonderwoman and Hercules are skilled... That Wolverine and the Black Panther are skilled - All very well and good you say they clearly are and that can't be disagreed with. However, Hercules is ancient, and his skills don't seem to have improved much since maybe his first 100 years, Wonderwoman (bear with me I'm not up with the present iteration is also ancient by human terms). Furthermore being "gods" you'd expect them to have a better ability to learn, an enhanced set of motor skills. Which leads me on to Wolverine, he has had training, but he has always been a mutant with improved reflexes etc. The Panther is a skilled human, enhanced with herb and blessed by the spirits. They all have skills, but are they exceptionally skilled with their power set or just in combat arts and does this ability make a difference really?

Example, Spiderman (yeah I know he's been through changes) but Spidey developed his own skills based on his powers and reflexes. He is not a skilled Martial Artist, but after years of using his powers, he is experienced with them to the point, I'd take him over Wolverine without his claws any day. The Flash, has mad skills with his powers, Flash fact...Give Cap or Batman Hercules strength and see who wins in a fight Herc 1000's of years of experience or Cap and Batman?

Ben Grimm and Luke Cage, scale up their power to Hercs, trust me I don't think Herc wins.

So, what is this skill we are talking about and how does it stack up against the ability to use the powers a hero has effectively?

Good thread.

For example, the Hulk. Everyone thinks he's just a dumb brawler - but you know what? HIS style works for him. He wins fights, end of. He uses his abilities pretty damn effectively. Which dovetails nicely into Cosmic's post - Hulk isn't the most skilled, but in a hth brawl? I'm picking him.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 08:16 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Superman has skills.

He was body swapped with Batman and Kobra. I think he had Kobra, and Kobra had Bruce or something... Whatever, point is there were both peak human.

Kobra's a guy who could hold his own with Mr. Terrific, a formidable martial artist. Supes still took him, with the brawling tactics he learned against all the Doomsdays, Zods, Black Adams, Lobo's, Gardners, or any number of killers who don't pull a punch or try not to kill.

You wouldn't think of Superman as skilled in that way, but it makes total sense..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 08:27 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Yeah that's another. I too am of the school that disdains knowing 2000 style of martial arts - the human body and physics means that there are only so many ways of throwing an effective punch and kick, for example.

Old Post Nov 5th, 2017 08:42 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Steve Zodiac
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Skill Vs. Ability! (Good thread maybe? Certainly different)

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Good thread.

For example, the Hulk. Everyone thinks he's just a dumb brawler - but you know what? HIS style works for him. He wins fights, end of. He uses his abilities pretty damn effectively. Which dovetails nicely into Cosmic's post - Hulk isn't the most skilled, but in a hth brawl? I'm picking him.
Thanks, mate and I agree with you and shock horror cdtm, although I usually do agree with cdtm on comics, it's just politics where he and I are at other ends of the spectrum. smile

Old Post Nov 6th, 2017 04:46 AM