KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Deeper Connections

Deeper Connections
Started by: bluewaterrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
bluewaterrider

Deeper Connections

There are some characters who, at FIRST glance, could scarcely seem more different than one another. Yet before too long, bond, partner, or pair with one another, often amazingly well, because a writer or writers recognize a way or ways in which these characters are similar or complement one another.

Which characters in your reading history best illustrate an unexpected, yet, on examination, surprisingly strong and natural connection, sometimes better than the connections most readers WOULD predict for them?

At or near the top of my list would probably be the relationship between Supergirl and Batman, established fairly early on in Kara's re-introduction to the DCU by Jeph Loeb, but perhaps best concisely explained here, during the rooftop meeting of Kara and Bruce a few years later in Supergirl #30:

(please log in to view the image)

Source: Supergirl #30
Circa: August 2008

Last edited by bluewaterrider on Apr 18th, 2018 at 11:17 AM

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 11:10 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
There are some characters who, at FIRST glance, could scarcely seem more different than one another. Yet before too long, bond, partner, or pair with one another, often amazingly well, because a writer or writers recognize a way of ways in which these characters are similar or complement one another.

Which characters in your reading history best illustrate an unexpected, yet, on examination, surprisingly strong and natural connection?

At or near the top of my list would probably be the relationship between Spergirl and Batman, established fairly early on in Kara's re-introduction to the DCU by Jeph Loeb, but perhaps best concisely explained here, during the rooftop meeting of Kara and Bruce a few years later in Supergirl #30:

Source: Supergirl #30
Circa: August 2008

A smart writer could take that and run with it, I think. Batman worries about her in a way he'd never worry about Superman, because he's concerned she has the same darkness in her that he has.

Not a VS thread, but I like the concept so I'll leave it open.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 11:13 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

The deepest connection is between Supergirl and Wonder Woman, as they're both heralds of the Luciferian Age.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 11:14 AM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Luke Cage & Iron Fist, of course.

I was around when this pairing first started, and was as confused as anyone else.
The streetwise black guy and the walk the earth kung fu white kid.
But it worked, and still works today.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 11:38 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tkitna

Wolverine and Nightcrawler

By Stoic

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 12:15 PM
tkitna is currently offline Click here to Send tkitna a Private Message Find more posts by tkitna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Probably not a thing anymore after 12,437 reboots, but, Dick Grayson & Donna Troy.

Cyborg & Beast Boy also from back in the 80s. This one has survived many reboots.
This is the jock and the joker.

Simon Williams & The Beast.
Simon desperately needed lightening up, and Beast did that. Simon is also a closet nerd and they respected/respect each other.

Last edited by riv6672 on Apr 18th, 2018 at 12:47 PM

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 12:36 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Wonder Man and Beast.

The erudite scientist philosopher who shuns the limelight and fears being seen in public.....and Simon.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2018 12:40 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote