KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Captain Comet vs. Manchester Black

Captain Comet vs. Manchester Black
Started by: byrdgang21

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
byrdgang21
byrd's da word

Captain Comet vs. Manchester Black

Who wins?

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 03:09 AM
byrdgang21 is currently offline Click here to Send byrdgang21 a Private Message Find more posts by byrdgang21 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

CC.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 03:20 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

Comet for me

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 03:23 AM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

CC. He has the Mental Chops to Hold off Manchester and the strength to punch his crap in.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 05:43 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
krisblaze

Comet with the consistency.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 06:05 AM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spetznaz
Senior Fanboy Killer

Martian Manhunter has a poster of Captain Comet in his den.
Maxima wishes Captain Comet was her father.
Professor X shaves his hair in homage to Captain Comet.
Etc etc etc

The likes of Manchester Black and Max Lord are real beasts, but Captain Comet is in many ways what you’d get if you mixed attributes from Superman, Manchester Black and Mr Terrific ...

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 09:35 AM
spetznaz is currently offline Click here to Send spetznaz a Private Message Find more posts by spetznaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

I only trust beatboks' opinion

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 09:51 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
I only trust beatboks' opinion

But I made the respect thread sad

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 12:18 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

And I have the only correct opinion thumb up

Manchester Black wins.

You can't have them all.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 02:43 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

quote:
And I have the only correct opinion thumb up

Manchester Black wins.

You can't have them all.

How with TK Comet has shielded from ominar Synn (who casually throws BA around like chaff in the wind) and controlled the energy of Crume Synicayes power ring, Sinestro's ring and Kyle Raynors against them.

With TP He has casually mind controlled Bizarro, linked all GLs darkstars and Legion, breached Synarr, and TP made two waring armadas stand down. Not to mention casually rewire the mind of the wierd when others like MMH couldnt even read him.

Physically he's matched and had extended fights with Superman and Lobo (vs the latter he has faired better and lasted longer than Cap Marvel and MMH and Lobo had help while MMH was the one with a team backing him).

Old Post Aug 18th, 2018 09:24 PM
beatboks is currently offline Click here to Send beatboks a Private Message Find more posts by beatboks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by beatboks
How with TK Comet has shielded from ominar Synn (who casually throws BA around like chaff in the wind)
While I do think that Captain Comet's shield may be better than Manchester Black's [who has very few in that regard, though it's just an extension of his telekinesis so a case could be made here], I have to make sure what you're referring to here. Do you mean when he sucker-punched Synn by dropping rocks on him [Rann Thanagar war], then made a bubble around the team and flew them away, or do you have another example in mind?

Furthermore, besides Synn's powers varying, in that same story he was no-selling Captain Comet [and Kyle] like they were nothing, and Captain Comet was explicitly a bug to him, and Synn was explicitly not at his peak. The example you used, of Synn TK'ing Black Adam [I will ignore the blatant different power-levels of Synn here, for the sake of the discussion] was an ill-advised one, considering Manchester Black was ragdolling Superman just by staring at him:
https://imgur.com/r2RR26c

controlled the energy of Crume Synicayes power ring, Sinestro's ring and Kyle Raynors against them.
I see you're using Pre-Crisis feats here. I know his 'timeline' is intact, mostly, but obviously he's not at the same level as all Silver Age characters were. Green Lantern going up against Pre-Crisis Superman is not an applicable feat for Post-Crisis Lantern. The whole Universe was rewritten and scaled down. As for post-COIE, he just deflected Kyle's blast [again, based on the example I'm familiar with, maybe you can refresh my memory here].

Manchester Black has actually frozen Superman's heat vision mid-air while keeping quantum rifts from collapsing into a black hole. Can you match this? I haven't even gotten into Manchester Black's TK range of precision. For q uick taste, here's him TKing Menagerie's insides while in a different part of the globe:
https://imgur.com/a/4mTko

With TP He has casually mind controlled Bizarro, linked all GLs darkstars and Legion, breached Synarr, and TP made two waring armadas stand down. Not to mention casually rewire the mind of the wierd when others like MMH couldnt even read him.
Manchester Black has made Bizarro sane and pulled out his entire consciousness, and Superman's consciousness, and placed those consciousnesses in their opposite bodies. That is....again...a very bad example to use, considering Black outstrips him pretty hard.

Black has protected Luthor's mind from Martian Manhunter, and just his psionic blocks has kicked out J'onn from Bizarro's mind.

Manchester Black's TP is so proficient, that he made Superman [with all of his ridiculous senses] think Lois is dead as he was standing right next to her. He's also fooled Superman [again] and Jon into thinking Lois has lost her leg all the while the aforementioned 'keeping quantum rifts from collapsing into a black hole' is taking place.

Physically he's matched and had extended fights with Superman and Lobo (vs the latter he has faired better and lasted longer than Cap Marvel and MMH and Lobo had help while MMH was the one with a team backing him).

Yes, Comet is superior physically, but Black has rendered Superman helpless on the ground by TKing his insides:
https://imgur.com/0iUKhsP

This won't go into a slugfest, if Comet can't match him.

Last edited by Philosophía on Aug 22nd, 2018 at 04:34 PM

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2018 04:31 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-K-M-

Comet was one of the few not impacted by the crisis smile Comet and a few others hid in a time sphere (made by him and rip hunter) during the crisis and was with darkseid at the end

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2018 04:33 PM
-K-M- is currently offline Click here to Send -K-M- a Private Message Find more posts by -K-M- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by -K-M-
Comet was one of the few not impacted by the crisis smile Comet and a few others hid in a time sphere (made by him and rip hunter) during the crisis and was with darkseid at the end
Yes, and various characters have 'circumvented' the Crisis one way or the other, but they're obviously not at the same power levels. I mean, you bring up Darkseid - tell me with a straight face that Darkseid, who you see against post-Crisis Superman, is the one who was bitching Pre-Crisis kryptonians. Or the Green Lanterns, or pick whatever character you'd like. Even Superman retained his memory of COIE, and fighting Anti-Monitor. Superboy Prime demonstrated that, when an actual Pre-Crisis kryptonian got into the DCU, and steamrolled everybody.

Furthermore, it is explicitly stated by Alexander Luthor in Infinite Crisis that 'reality' reconciles Pre-Crisis characters into the Post-Crisis Universe by altering their abilities etc. as it was with Power Girl.

So if you want other than common sense explanation, there's explicit continuity saying reality alters them.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2018 04:56 PM
-K-M-

Not debating powerlevels but his feats are still valid. They weren’t simply erased. He could have had an unofficial power scaling that’s one thing, but he always was protrayed as a beast

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2018 05:11 PM
-K-M-

But shouldn’t this just be new52 comet regardless?

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2018 05:16 PM
Philosophía

Not debating powerlevels but his feats are still valid. They weren’t simply erased. He could have had an unofficial power scaling that’s one thing, but he always was protrayed as a beast
I agree with your 'beast' part and disagree with the former one but, suffice to say, this is a murky area that I don't really want to get into. So if the thread includes Pre-Crisis showings, I'm not really into that, the same way I wouldn't be into it if it were Darkseid, Green Lanterns or whomever, especially when the comics obviously scaled down the Universe, and abilities, too, were scaled down.

I do think post-COIE Comet, who is still a beast, would lose to Black, though.

But shouldn’t this just be new52 comet regardless?
I wouldn't be so sadical as to argue against that, lol.

I don't think we'll see that version again, or he'll be the "new 52 Lobo" to the original Captain Comet.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2018 05:41 PM
beatboks
ready for the loony bin

quote:

I see you're using Pre-Crisis feats here. I know his 'timeline' is intact, mostly, but obviously he's not at the same level as all Silver Age characters were

1. As stated by KM and you agreed Comet wasnt changed by COIE.

2. Based purely on feats post COIE Comet was actually seriously enhanced post COIE. Pre crisis Comet stated on panel he was physically 1/10 the physicals of Superman. Around the time of COIE there was a story where Comet matched Superman physically. In that story it was shown that Comet had used his mental power to prevent his body fully evolving. Post COIE multiple showings confirm him to be physically in the arena of Superman in strength not 1/10

2. Lanterns were not really downgraded by COIE. In fact their ppwer level was pretty static. They have better showings vs Superman post COIE because he has lower levels.

3. Given the vast upgrade inpsyonic power Comet got with his resurrection in Mystery in space (though massively downgraded physically ) his power level in TP and TK is vastly higher than during all those feats. How much higher? One could reasonably say 5 times given he TP simultaineously mind raped 5 clones of his pre ressurection body who served the church of light. It also took 12 of tgose clones to alter a single memory of the wierd (who MMH couldnt read), yet post resurrection comet casually rewired his entire brain.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2018 02:20 AM
Philosophía

1. As stated by KM and you agreed Comet wasnt changed by COIE. 2. Lanterns were not really downgraded by COIE. In fact their ppwer level was pretty static. They have better showings vs Superman post COIE because he has lower levels.
There's plenty of characters that weren't affected by COIE due to continuing their publishing history without rebooting, but were practically affected - such as Darkseid. Or Green Lanterns. Or Batman. This was later explained, in continuity, that when reality integrates characters, it alters their abilities, among other things. It's why the whole Universe was scaled down, including Green Lanterns, including the Fourth World, and plenty of others, even if they kept their whole history. The power levels themselves are not the same.

Darkseid, the poster boy for 'surviving the Crisis unaffected' is, blatantly, not as powerful as he was Post-Crisis. Green Lanterns were now below Post-Crisis Superman, who is explicitly orders of magnitude below Pre-Crisis Superman [and obvious for anybody to see]. After the Crisis was done, Green Lanterns that explicitly survived the Crisis unaffected were barely able to move a planetoid, with their willpower combined and Superman helping them:
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...x=1535035245576
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...x=1535035251798
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...x=1535035259220

Hal alone was swinging moons Pre-Crisis:
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums...x=1535035281586

or here:
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums...x=1535035351006

Hal doubts his defenses could stand up to a 300 megaton explosion:
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums...x=1535035533467
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums...x=1535035533980

Hal in Pre-Crisis was casually shielding from a Supernova and transmutated the whole Justice League simultaneously:
http://img19.photobucket.com/albums...x=1535035622975

And there's a shitload of other examples. I could literally fill pages with power difference from post-Crisis decade, to the Pre-Crisis decade. It's enormous, for all characters involved. Post 2000, there was a move towards bringing some of the bigger feats, but the intent to depower everybody was so blatant after COIE, including 'unaffected characters', that you'd have to be crazy to deny it.

This is so obvious, that it shouldn't even be a discussion. The comics themselves state that the post-COIE reality adjusts abilities.

2. Based purely on feats post COIE Comet was actually seriously enhanced post COIE. Pre crisis Comet stated on panel he was physically 1/10 the physicals of Superman. Around the time of COIE there was a story where Comet matched Superman physically. In that story it was shown that Comet had used his mental power to prevent his body fully evolving. Post COIE multiple showings confirm him to be physically in the arena of Superman in strength not 1/10
I don't think you understand how strong Pre-Crisis Superman was, or what 1/10 of his strength means. It would make Comet able to put his fist through every post-Crisis character. The guy was able to move galaxy worth of planets, as a teenager, with a chain.I don't need to pull up the numbers here to put it into perspective, I hope.

3. Given the vast upgrade inpsyonic power Comet got with his resurrection in Mystery in space (though massively downgraded physically ) his power level in TP and TK is vastly higher than during all those feats. How much higher? One could reasonably say 5 times given he TP simultaineously mind raped 5 clones of his pre ressurection body who served the church of light. It also took 12 of tgose clones to alter a single memory of the wierd (who MMH couldnt read), yet post resurrection comet casually rewired his entire brain.

This is all over the place, Golden Age, Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis, old body, then resurrected. You bring feats for all of them, even when they contradict each other. You used the fight with Lobo, and now you mention resurrected Captain Comet, who explicitly was weaker physically:
http://photobucket.com/gallery/user...x=1535036520396
You brought up TP & Bizarro, I showed you better feats, with the same character. You brought up J'onn, I showed Black blocking and kicking him out. You brought up TK, I brought up Black casually TKing Quantum Rifts from collapsing into a Black Hole and freezing Superman's HV....or his range and internal TK control to damage the inside of other beings.... and now......we're talking about the validity of Pre-Crisis, which I never even wanted to do in the first place.

Meh.

Last edited by Philosophía on Aug 23rd, 2018 at 03:17 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2018 03:07 PM
krisblaze

smh at Phil bringing these dead links.

Thanks Estacado

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2018 03:23 PM
krisblaze is currently offline Click here to Send krisblaze a Private Message Find more posts by krisblaze Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by krisblaze
smh at Phil bringing these dead links.
Add Photobucket Extension to Chrome.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2018 03:26 PM