KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Admin Rights

Admin Rights
Started by: Blax_Hydralisk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Admin Rights

I have Windows vista, and ti generally works fine except for when I try to play video games.

The games themselves work, but whenever I try to download a patch or something necessary to play online, my computer usually freezes up. At first I thought maybe it was my firewall or an internet related problem, so awhile ago when it happened alt-tabbed out of the game screen, and there was a little pop-up that said "You must have administrative rights to download this patch", something like that.

This confuses me, as I AM the Administrator. Actually, I'm the ONLY administrator. There's only two profiles on this computer, my own and my Moms and she's a limited user. So I don't understand why it thinks I'm not the Admin when in fact I am. I went to the account settings and it says that I am in fact Administrator, but when I try to download a patch the computer seems to refuse to acknowledge that fact.

Any ideas as to what may be happening?

Old Post Feb 16th, 2008 09:35 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Set the programme you are using to run as admin (right click on it, Properties/Compatability/cick on the 'run as admin' box).

Vista is very paranoid and there are a number of programmes and games that only run correctly if tagged so.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Feb 17th, 2008 01:38 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

An alternative is to turn UAC (User Account Control) off, if you haven't done so already. It should be in the Control Panel, under the User Account options.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 02:41 PM
Callan is currently offline Click here to Send Callan a Private Message Find more posts by Callan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

An easy option is to right-click and the drop-down menu will appear and there will be stuff like Run, Open, etc. Click "Run As Administrator." I believe it's the 3rd option down. (I have a vista too).

Old Post Feb 19th, 2008 05:24 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote