KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Um... Windows Vista task manager?

Um... Windows Vista task manager?
Started by: Blax_Hydralisk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Um... Windows Vista task manager?

I don't know how to get to task manager on Windows VISTA. Ctrl+Alt+Delete doesn't work, it doesn't give me the option to go to task manager, task managed isn't even mentioned on the window that pops up.

When you right click on the taskbar a little menu pops up, and task managed is one of the options, but it's grayed out so I can't select it.

(please log in to view the image)

I read on the Internet that pressing Cntrl+shift+escape brings it up, but when I press it nothing happens.

Help?

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 05:33 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

Are you logged in with administrative privileges?

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 03:14 PM
Callan is currently offline Click here to Send Callan a Private Message Find more posts by Callan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

Ctrl+Alt+Del actually does work and I have vista. A large screen will come up giving you the option to log off, start task manager, etc. So NONE of that works? What does happen when you do type ctrl+alt+del?

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 04:18 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chillmeistergen
Restricted

Account Restricted

Get windows xp, vista is a ram sapping piece of shit.

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holden Caulfield

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 09:04 PM
chillmeistergen is currently offline Click here to Send chillmeistergen a Private Message Find more posts by chillmeistergen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

I enjoy it better than XP now that I've gotten used to it. I had an XP right before I got this vista and the thing was dead one morning when I woke up. I've had a lot less issues with Vista than I have with XP.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2008 09:12 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
Ctrl+Alt+Del actually does work and I have vista. A large screen will come up giving you the option to log off, start task manager, etc. So NONE of that works? What does happen when you do type ctrl+alt+del?

Yeah, my buddies all have Vista too, and it works fine for them as well. Only my version seems ****ed up...

When I ctrl+alt+del the usual screen pops up with most of the options, shut off, lock computer, log of etc. Every option is there EXCEPT for Task Manager.. it's like my copy of Vista simply doesn't have access to task manager...

And I would drop Vista for XP if I could in a heartbeat.. a lot of my older games and stuff on it work on it either.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 12:03 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
Yeah, my buddies all have Vista too, and it works fine for them as well. Only my version seems ****ed up...

When I ctrl+alt+del the usual screen pops up with most of the options, shut off, lock computer, log of etc. Every option is there EXCEPT for Task Manager.. it's like my copy of Vista simply doesn't have access to task manager...

And I would drop Vista for XP if I could in a heartbeat.. a lot of my older games and stuff on it work on it either.

That's because YOU FAIL!

Alright but seriously, I'll look.

Okay, try this link:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...g-resolved.html

I'll keep searching in case that link doesn't provide a solution.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 12:13 AM
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

Right click the taskbar and click on task manager...

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 02:18 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Callan

Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Get windows xp, vista is a ram sapping piece of shit.

Microsoft's SP2 support for XP is terminating soon with the advent of SP3 and retailers will stop selling it XP altogether in June. So like it or not, Vista will the the main player from then on.

And its RAM-hunger is misunderstood, as most of it goes to the SuperFetch function, which is designed to speed up the accessing of applications.

Again I ask, does your account have administrative privileges on the machine? If it doesn't, then that is the likeliest cause of your Task Manager dilemma.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 03:29 PM
Callan is currently offline Click here to Send Callan a Private Message Find more posts by Callan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Callan
Microsoft's SP2 support for XP is terminating soon with the advent of SP3 and retailers will stop selling it XP altogether in June. So like it or not, Vista will the the main player from then on.

Nah, **** that, I can wait 3 years for their next, hopefully less shitty version.

Another good thing is that more people will see the merit of linux based systems after Microsoft decided, once more, to piss all over their face and charge them for it.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 05:04 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Superfetch is intensly annoying.

But other than that... Vista really is not so bad at all.

Linux, meanwhile, is a useless pipedream.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 06:25 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Superfetch is intensly annoying.

But other than that... Vista really is not so bad at all.

Linux, meanwhile, is a useless pipedream.
Are you joking? I am using it right now and it is immensely satisfying. How is it a useless pipedream. In fact, what do you even mean with that?

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:01 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Can you play, like, every PC game on it without any problems?

quote:
Right click the taskbar and click on task manager...

quote:
When you right click on the taskbar a little menu pops up, and task managed is one of the options, but it's grayed out so I can't select it.

(please log in to view the image)

*cough*

quote:
Again I ask, does your account have administrative privileges on the machine? If it doesn't, then that is the likeliest cause of your Task Manager dilemma.

There is only one profile on the machine: mine. I am the head administrator.

Originally posted by Kelly_Bean
That's because YOU FAIL!

Alright but seriously, I'll look.

Okay, try this link:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/mic...g-resolved.html

I'll keep searching in case that link doesn't provide a solution.

lol. Nah, I've had that problem before and know how to fix it. That's not it this time though, unfortunately.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:15 PM
Bardock42

No, does that make an OS a useless pipedream?

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:16 PM
Kelly_Bean

*cough*

There is only one profile on the machine: mine. I am the head administrator.

lol. Nah, I've had that problem before and know how to fix it. That's not it this time though, unfortunately.

So the link didn't help?

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:20 PM
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, not the topic you linked me too, no. But I registered at the forum and I'll make a topic about it there.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:21 PM
Kelly_Bean

Alright, tell me how it works out. Sorry my link didn't help.

If you ever need any support for your computer in the future you can also try:
-GeeksToGo forum
-BleepingComputer forum
-CyberTechHelp forum
-5StarSupport forum

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:28 PM
Callan

Try this:

1. Open the registry editor --- Start, then type 'regedit' into the search field.
2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre
ntVersion\Policies\System.
3. If you see a value called 'DisableTaskMgr', right click it and delete it.
4. Exit regedit.

Hopefully that works.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:34 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Bardock42
Are you joking? I am using it right now and it is immensely satisfying. How is it a useless pipedream. In fact, what do you even mean with that?

I mean that expecting it to be any good for mass use is a fool's game. nerds talk about Linux like it is the saviour of all things compuer but such vision is blind. It's not scaleable, it's not practical, it's no bloody good for the mass market and something like Vista is much better for general use.

And yes, hopeless lack of compatibility does contribute towards it being a pipedream.

Anyway, if none of the above we are very much looking towards malware here.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Apr 3rd, 2008 at 07:55 PM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 07:51 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I mean that expecting it to be any good for mass use is a fool's game. nerds talk about Linux like it is the saviour of all things compuer but such vision is blind. It's not scaleable, it's not practical, it's no bloody good for the mass market and something like Vista is much better for general use.

And yes, hopeless lack of compatibility does contribute towards it being a pipedream.

Anyway, if none of the above we are very much looking towards malware here.
True. It is so far. Though I believe with the latest releases of Ubuntu especially it has become a lot more accesible. It might not be for the mass market ever, but it can be a viable and workable and even better alternative for people really interested.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2008 08:04 PM