KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Nvidia 9800 512 MB, Blank Screen - Start up problem

Nvidia 9800 512 MB, Blank Screen - Start up problem
Started by: chithappens

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
chithappens

Angry Nvidia 9800 512 MB, Blank Screen - Start up problem

Sigh, gonna try to explain this thoroughly cause I'm completely out of ideas without having to open up the case. Here's the setup:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Nvidia 9800 GT 512 MB
Windows XP Media Center (SP3)
2 MB Ram

About two months ago, I was having issues with my display. At the time I was using a Nvidia 8600 GT 256 MB card. It wouldn't show anything - not a HP motherboard blue screen, no windows loading, nothing at all. I assumed the card blew and was actually ready to upgrade anyway so that's when I bought the Nvidia 9800 GT 512 MB card. What I considered later was that it might have simply been the DVI-VGA adapter causing the problem, but I didn't care because I was pleased with the greatly improved performance.

Maybe two weeks ago, I had the same problem and then I considered the DVI-VGA connector being a problem and promptly bought a new one. It worked no problem.

So yesterday I download and install SF4. At first, it ran really shitty even as I turned down the graphic settings. I then turned everything up to the maximum just to see how the benchmark would perform and it ran @ 63.59 FPS. Then I tried to actually play it with the same maximum settings and it ran about the same. I beat a few people online then played Left 4 Dead later and watched some anime online an hour later (I mention all this to say that nothing had been a problem at all).

In the evening, I started SF4 back up again but saw that the previous graphic settings were in place because I used a different profile to sign to Windows Live. To ensure I got the best performance, I decided to restart the PC and maximize the settings again. And then there was no display. Same issue as before - no motherboard startup, no windows start up, etc. For 10 minutes I kept pulling the DVI-VGA in and out trying to make sure that was the problem and then I was suddenly at the Windows password screen. My smart ass then decided to try to restart to check the bios and it has not given me any display at all since then.

Three weird things to note:

1) If I try to just use the VGA connection, still no display. The monitor gives a green light in recoginition of being put into the VGA plug, but no display is given.

2) If I type in the password after waiting for the PC to load up to the password screen, nothing happens which makes me question if this is just a display issue.

3) As PCs start up, they recognize the keyboard as they load up the OS. After the intial power from the PC, the keyboard recogonizes nothing, not even Caps Lock, # lock, or scroll lock so I'm not confident that the PC is booting up anything @ all.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

My YouTube Channel

Random Thoughts Blog *Actually being updated now*

Poetry Blog

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 08:27 PM
chithappens is currently offline Click here to Send chithappens a Private Message Find more posts by chithappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spidervlad
Renegade of Funk

I don't really understand, if it isn't showing any display how did you get up to the password screen? Also how'd you find out if it recognized your keyboard?

First thing I would do is try another monitor just to make sure it's not a monitor issue. Just to get that out of my way.

Also, does the computer make any beeping noises at start up when it doesn't show anything?

Made by Me! Click here to see my work or request a sig!

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 10:51 PM
Spidervlad is currently offline Click here to Send Spidervlad a Private Message Find more posts by Spidervlad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Spidervlad
I don't really understand, if it isn't showing any display how did you get up to the password screen? Also how'd you find out if it recognized your keyboard?

First thing I would do is try another monitor just to make sure it's not a monitor issue. Just to get that out of my way.

Also, does the computer make any beeping noises at start up when it doesn't show anything?

I assume that he waited the usual amount and some, so the computer should be at the password screen, had it loaded and just not displayed it. As for the keyboard....it probably has a light on it...

I can't really give you much suggestions, perhaps go through all the cables, I did have a similar problem when one of my hard drives wasn't well connected. Basically, check through the whole thing if everything's connected alright, maybe undust it (unrelated, just useful) and perhaps just let it stay for a day or so...you know how computers have a way to defy logic.

Except for that, maybe try your old card again? If you weren't sure whether it was broken at all.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2009 11:55 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote