KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Windows 7

Windows 7
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Windows 7

link

Just wondering if anyone is planning to get it when it comes out. I'm currently running a 64 bit vista, and can't decide whether it's going to be worth the upgrade or not. I know it's not officially released yet, but if anyone has tried the beta versions and has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, to buy, or not to buy?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 1st, 2009 01:27 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

If you recently got a computer, you might get a free upgrade to windows7, so definitly use it if you can.
I heard W7 is like an "update" of Vista: it's the same just better and more stable.

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post Aug 1st, 2009 09:48 AM
Jovan is currently offline Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Re: Windows 7

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
link

Just wondering if anyone is planning to get it when it comes out. I'm currently running a 64 bit vista, and can't decide whether it's going to be worth the upgrade or not. I know it's not officially released yet, but if anyone has tried the beta versions and has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, to buy, or not to buy?

My professional opinion: wait until it's out for a few months or until SP1 comes out ofr Windows 7. This is for security and stability. Windows 7 will also offer more options and customization, adding to the personalization focus that MS has had the last 4 or 5 years.

My personal opinion: If you are a PC gamer, definitely go with Windows 7. It is less intensive on your hardware, freeing up system resources for your game. As you probably know, because you're using Vista 64-bit, many games that can utilize the 64-bit architecture, run better on Vista-64 bit. Most modern games do make use of it. That's why I have Vista (64-bit) home basic, for gaming.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2009 08:15 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by dadudemon
My professional opinion: wait until it's out for a few months or until SP1 comes out ofr Windows 7. This is for security and stability. Windows 7 will also offer more options and customization, adding to the personalization focus that MS has had the last 4 or 5 years.

My personal opinion: If you are a PC gamer, definitely go with Windows 7. It is less intensive on your hardware, freeing up system resources for your game. As you probably know, because you're using Vista 64-bit, many games that can utilize the 64-bit architecture, run better on Vista-64 bit. Most modern games do make use of it. That's why I have Vista (64-bit) home basic, for gaming.

Yeah, thats actually why i made the upgrade in the first place. I have 4gb, and was told that a 32bit just wouldn't handle that much ram. So i got my hands on ultimate, and i've been happy enough ever since. I've been able to run Gears of War at a decent spec on a 64 bit, so i'm happy enough with it.

Hmm, i see what you mean about the service packs, i'd honestly forgotten about those lol... Any idea how long those usually take?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2009 09:54 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Yeah, thats actually why i made the upgrade in the first place. I have 4gb, and was told that a 32bit just wouldn't handle that much ram. So i got my hands on ultimate, and i've been happy enough ever since. I've been able to run Gears of War at a decent spec on a 64 bit, so i'm happy enough with it.

Hmm, i see what you mean about the service packs, i'd honestly forgotten about those lol... Any idea how long those usually take?

I think Vista's original SP1 came 1 year after Vista's release.

But, yeah, that is a major reason to go with 64-bit, the RAM.

I am a wait and see person. I'd rather see SP1 released and that settle down before I get a new OS. That's what I did with Vista. SP1 was out for 6 months before I started looking to buy another PC.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2009 02:50 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I think Vista's original SP1 came 1 year after Vista's release.

But, yeah, that is a major reason to go with 64-bit, the RAM.

I am a wait and see person. I'd rather see SP1 released and that settle down before I get a new OS. That's what I did with Vista. SP1 was out for 6 months before I started looking to buy another PC.

reports say that windows 7 SP1 is already being worked on, even though the OS isn't out yet.

i've heard some people say 18 months, but i highly doubt that...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 5th, 2009 04:04 AM
~JP~
yeah baby

laughing out loud I bought a computer last fall and I specifically asked them to take Vista off and put XP on. Im sticking with that.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 12:43 AM
~JP~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i almost did that same thing. tbh, though, if you have the ram for it, vista aint that bad...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 01:33 AM
Peach
mordrem

Vista can be annoying, but it's not bad once you get used to it.

And once you shut off that annoying account control thing. I can't state enough how much I hate that feature.

But yeah, I've actually gotten used to Vista enough now that XP feels weird to me. And a 64-bit OS is great.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 01:36 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Peach
Vista can be annoying, but it's not bad once you get used to it.

And once you shut off that annoying account control thing. I can't state enough how much I hate that feature.

But yeah, I've actually gotten used to Vista enough now that XP feels weird to me. And a 64-bit OS is great.

i turned off the UAC, but the thing kept asking me to turn it back on for some stupid reason. i leave it on most of the time, but i turn it off when i need to organise folders, because it's a royal pain in those situations...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 01:38 AM
Peach
mordrem

I turned it off, and it popped up the little bubble in the corner once, but not again since, so yeah.

I finally caved and shut it off when I had about 40 fonts to install. It would have taken forever with that on...

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 01:47 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I turned it off, and it popped up the little bubble in the corner once, but not again since, so yeah.

I finally caved and shut it off when I had about 40 fonts to install. It would have taken forever with that on...

oh god yeah. i've had to do that a couple of times...

everytime i boot up the computer, it asks me to switch it back on, so i dunno lol...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 02:03 AM
Peach
mordrem

That could be it. I generally don't actually shut my computer off very often, I just let it go into sleep mode when I close it.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 02:34 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

That could be it. I generally don't actually shut my computer off very often, I just let it go into sleep mode when I close it.

ah. i never got used to using sleep mode. is it truly as good as shutting it down?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 03:05 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

ah. i never got used to using sleep mode. is it truly as good as shutting it down?

It's still on, minimally. I do believe power is cut to the processor and hard-drive(s) though.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 10:24 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

reports say that windows 7 SP1 is already being worked on, even though the OS isn't out yet.

i've heard some people say 18 months, but i highly doubt that...

That is probably due to the massive beta testing done on it before release. I read something about it being the largest beta testing ever undertaken for software.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 02:08 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Robtard
It's still on, minimally. I do believe power is cut to the processor and hard-drive(s) though.

ah.

That is probably due to the massive beta testing done on it before release. I read something about it being the largest beta testing ever undertaken for software.

yeah. i've never seen microsoft so hyped up about an OS before. they really seem to think 7 is going to be the business, as they claim to have put more work in to it than pretty much any other OS. they go on and on about how they really took all the feedback on board and such too...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 02:15 AM
dadudemon

ah.

yeah. i've never seen microsoft so hyped up about an OS before. they really seem to think 7 is going to be the business, as they claim to have put more work in to it than pretty much any other OS. they go on and on about how they really took all the feedback on board and such too...

There is also performance increase, as I mentioned earlier. You can configure it to be "skinnier"...or streamlined for performance, which is good for people like you, Peach, and I.

Also, there is peformance increase for notebooks. Significant.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 02:23 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

There is also performance increase, as I mentioned earlier. You can configure it to be "skinnier"...or streamlined for performance, which is good for people like you, Peach, and I.

Also, there is peformance increase for notebooks. Significant.

seeing as i'm using a laptop, yep, that's a big draw for me, hence me wondering if i should damn near buy it once it comes out...

yeah, they've been really going on and on about how it's much faster and much less of a, well, whore, when it comes to system resources. i really hope they're not just pulling our legs...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 02:34 AM
Peach
mordrem

I use a laptop as well, so performance increase for that is definitely good.

I didn't play with the Windows 7 beta but I do know a few people who did, and I've heard that it is indeed much less of a resource hog. Which is great. Vista is too greedy.

Old Post Aug 7th, 2009 02:49 AM