KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Best Buy on a new laptop?

Best Buy on a new laptop?
Started by: Entity

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Gender: Male
Location: Ascended

Worried Best Buy on a new laptop?

As soon as my tax rebate check comes in, I'll be able to get one and can finally quit bumming my friends PC to get online. So I know I definitely want one with blu ray and good memory and graphics. This is one that really caught my eye ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...p;cp=1&lp=1 ) but they're currently sold out and I wanna know if there's anything better or similar for a better price. So far pretty much everything about that pc seems prefect for what I want. The only things I think I would want better would be a newer faster processer if I could and always more memory is better. I love Samsung products lately so I'll admit that parts pulling me in quite a bit but I'm never dead set on it if I can find a better deal for a decent brand.

So anyway if anyone could jus check it out and give me any tips to finding a better one and/or at a better price I'd definitely apprecitate it allot.


__________________

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 03:33 PM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Gender: Male
Location: Denver Metro, CO

I'm gonna enjoy the delicious double entendre in your first sentence for a moment.

Now that that's done, just make sure if you get a Toshiba that you pay at least a grand for it (check out the Toshiba thread to know why), and also make sure it has a laptop processor, not a desktop processor or you will be dealing with a lot of issues, especially overheating.


__________________
Land of the free, home of the brave...
Do you think we will ever be saved?
In this land of dreams find myself sober...
Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 05:05 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

Re: Best Buy on a new laptop?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity
As soon as my tax rebate check comes in, I'll be able to get one and can finally quit bumming my friends PC to get online. So I know I definitely want one with blu ray and good memory and graphics. This is one that really caught my eye ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...p;cp=1&lp=1 ) but they're currently sold out and I wanna know if there's anything better or similar for a better price. So far pretty much everything about that pc seems prefect for what I want. The only things I think I would want better would be a newer faster processer if I could and always more memory is better. I love Samsung products lately so I'll admit that parts pulling me in quite a bit but I'm never dead set on it if I can find a better deal for a decent brand.

So anyway if anyone could jus check it out and give me any tips to finding a better one and/or at a better price I'd definitely apprecitate it allot.


Link doesn't work. Let me know what you're looking to spend.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 27th, 2010 11:03 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Gender: Male
Location: Ascended

well the computer was the samsung R620-64br and it cost about $800 depending on where you buy it. I have a best buy credit card with the no interest for 2 years deal. So I was wanting to go with that after I got my refund.

Here's a youtube review I found on it!



Also if you jus go to bestbuy.com and enter keyword r620-64br it should come right up. Follow the link and it will have all the stats and specifications under the page links. Atleast it did for me... confused


__________________

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Last edited by Entity on Jan 28th, 2010 at 03:34 PM

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 03:26 PM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Evilbigfoot
Bah, Canon...

Gender: Male
Location: Killin zombies with Post-it notes

Re: Best Buy on a new laptop?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity
As soon as my tax rebate check comes in, I'll be able to get one and can finally quit bumming my friends PC to get online. So I know I definitely want one with blu ray and good memory and graphics. This is one that really caught my eye ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...p;cp=1&lp=1 ) but they're currently sold out and I wanna know if there's anything better or similar for a better price. So far pretty much everything about that pc seems prefect for what I want. The only things I think I would want better would be a newer faster processer if I could and always more memory is better. I love Samsung products lately so I'll admit that parts pulling me in quite a bit but I'm never dead set on it if I can find a better deal for a decent brand.

So anyway if anyone could jus check it out and give me any tips to finding a better one and/or at a better price I'd definitely apprecitate it allot.


I strongly recomend the "Alienware" brand Computers for an all around good system with tons of RAM, and the other necessities you are looking for. smile


__________________
"My actions have nothing to do with Shinigami protocol... I've rescinded your right to live... because you aspired to cut my pride... with such a dull blade."--Byakuya Kuchiki

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 04:48 PM
Evilbigfoot is currently offline Click here to Send Evilbigfoot a Private Message Find more posts by Evilbigfoot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity
well the computer was the samsung R620-64br and it cost about $800 depending on where you buy it. I have a best buy credit card with the no interest for 2 years deal. So I was wanting to go with that after I got my refund.

Here's a youtube review I found on it!


Also if you jus go to bestbuy.com and enter keyword r620-64br it should come right up. Follow the link and it will have all the stats and specifications under the page links. Atleast it did for me... confused


Not a bad comp for the price. If you intend on gaming a lot, dual core is fine, especially since it's over 2ghz, as most (if not all) games can't take advantage of a 3 or 4 core chimp. The GPU is decent for gaming too.

If you're really into gaming and you can spare the extra cash, finding one with a ATI Radeon 4600 (or above) series card would make substantial difference on visuals. Or comparable Nvidia card, but I personally prefer the ATI cards, more bang for the buck, imo.

Word of adice, pick up a laptop cooler if you intend on gaming, they're only $20.00-$30.00 bucks and they can make a huge difference.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 11:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

Re: Re: Best Buy on a new laptop?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Evilbigfoot
I strongly recomend the "Alienware" brand Computers for an all around good system with tons of RAM, and the other necessities you are looking for. smile


Alienware is sweet, but you're paying far too much for the name alone.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 28th, 2010 11:11 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Gender: Male
Location: Ascended

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Not a bad comp for the price. If you intend on gaming a lot, dual core is fine, especially since it's over 2ghz, as most (if not all) games can't take advantage of a 3 or 4 core chimp. The GPU is decent for gaming too.

If you're really into gaming and you can spare the extra cash, finding one with a ATI Radeon 4600 (or above) series card would make substantial difference on visuals. Or comparable Nvidia card, but I personally prefer the ATI cards, more bang for the buck, imo.

Word of adice, pick up a laptop cooler if you intend on gaming, they're only $20.00-$30.00 bucks and they can make a huge difference.

Alienware is sweet, but you're paying far too much for the name alone.
Thanks for the input. One of my bigger concerns was the graphics card. I know next to nothing about them and wasn't really sure how good the one installed in that laptop was. Plus I have no idea how ATI and Nvidia compare or which is which in relation to the other.

I do think Alienware is cool but feel pretty much the same way as its jus to much of a price bump IMO.

Another think I've wondered is how good is windows 7? I never really had a problem with xp on my old PC but jus hate vista on my friends. I've heard and read online some people been experiancing some problems with it so far. That may jus be regular bugs as all things have when they first come out but wanted to get your input on it.


__________________

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Jan 29th, 2010 01:36 AM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity
Thanks for the input. One of my bigger concerns was the graphics card. I know next to nothing about them and wasn't really sure how good the one installed in that laptop was. Plus I have no idea how ATI and Nvidia compare or which is which in relation to the other.

I do think Alienware is cool but feel pretty much the same way as its jus to much of a price bump IMO.

Another think I've wondered is how good is windows 7? I never really had a problem with xp on my old PC but jus hate vista on my friends. I've heard and read online some people been experiancing some problems with it so far. That may jus be regular bugs as all things have when they first come out but wanted to get your input on it.


If you're comparing two similar comps and one has an Nvidia and the other has an ATI, just Google a comparison, you'll get plenty of hits. EG: Geforce GTS 250 Vs Radeon 5750.

I love Windows 7, I only used Vista for about 2 months before I upgraded, but 7 is superior, imo. Which reminds me, a 64bit platform is the way to go if you want 4 or more gigs of ram. Don't just buy a comp that will be obsolete in a year (hard to do),think about possible upgrades, though you're far more limited with laptops in this area, as compared to towers and desktops.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jan 29th, 2010 11:37 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Hall of Origin

Invest on a Dell XPS or Alienware laptop


__________________


"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 1st, 2010 05:44 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Gender: Female
Location: verdant brink

Moderator

Alienware is not worth the pricetag. Most of the cost is simply paying for the brand name.


__________________

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Feb 1st, 2010 07:31 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

I bought an Alienware laptop. Worst decision in my life.

****ing useless.


__________________


Old Post Feb 2nd, 2010 07:47 AM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Gender: Male
Location: Ascended

Worried I found an add for this Gateway NV5927U



The specs look pretty good for the price. Its also got blu ray and 4gigs of ram but its only got 320 HD, I don't know about the graphics card but it doesn't seem as high quality as the Samsung or the HP's and i'm still confused as to if it has an i3 or i5 there seems to be allot of claims that it really has an i5 despite the discription and labels themselves even saying its an i3. :/ I've tried a few times to access it on best buys website for more spec info but while its still on the back page of the add and it will bring up the summary I can't seem to get the main page to come up on it.

Anyway jus based on what I've seen so far its currently in the running of my list of the Samsung R620-64br, HP DV7-3165dx and now the Gateway NV5927U

Hope I might get some comparesions with your advice as to which deal to go with. I'm still liking the specs of the Samsung best but its 799, while the HP seem pretty similar for 779 but the Gateway might the best deal with alil less impressive features but what seems like quite allot for only the 499 its listed as.

Really confused and again all the advise has been and will surely still be VERY apperciated! smile


__________________

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2010 04:12 PM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

Gender: Male
Location: Denver Metro, CO

Get a Sony made MSX2


__________________
Land of the free, home of the brave...
Do you think we will ever be saved?
In this land of dreams find myself sober...
Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2010 09:06 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
KMC's #1 Rated Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Captain's Chair, CA

Re: I found an add for this Gateway NV5927U

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity

The specs look pretty good for the price. Its also got blu ray and 4gigs of ram but its only got 320 HD, I don't know about the graphics card but it doesn't seem as high quality as the Samsung or the HP's and i'm still confused as to if it has an i3 or i5 there seems to be allot of claims that it really has an i5 despite the discription and labels themselves even saying its an i3. :/ I've tried a few times to access it on best buys website for more spec info but while its still on the back page of the add and it will bring up the summary I can't seem to get the main page to come up on it.

Anyway jus based on what I've seen so far its currently in the running of my list of the Samsung R620-64br, HP DV7-3165dx and now the Gateway NV5927U

Hope I might get some comparesions with your advice as to which deal to go with. I'm still liking the specs of the Samsung best but its 799, while the HP seem pretty similar for 779 but the Gateway might the best deal with alil less impressive features but what seems like quite allot for only the 499 its listed as.

Really confused and again all the advise has been and will surely still be VERY apperciated! smile


It's an i5, people were buying multiples of these in hopes of reselling them for a profit on eBay, Craigslist and the like. Best Buy is likely to pull it though, probably to re-set at a higher price.

The Graphics card wasn't anything special; shit for gaming, still a deal considering the price.

Do a Google for 'MSI gaming laptops', check them out, I hear MSI makes decent gaming/entertainment comps, some/most will have a bluray player.


__________________


You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Feb 3rd, 2010 at 12:05 AM

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2010 12:03 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Gender: Male
Location: Ascended

Ok so yesterday I finally got one. I decided to pay alil more and get a sony vaio VPCCW27FX/L. Check out the link and specs and let me know what your thoughts are on my choice. I think its a good call but jus still alil unsure. Its suppose to be here by the end of the week thou so I guess I'll find out! erm
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ries&ks=960


__________________

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Last edited by Entity on Feb 15th, 2010 at 03:51 PM

Old Post Feb 15th, 2010 03:45 PM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity
Ok so yesterday I finally got one. I decided to pay alil more and get a sony vaio VPCCW27FX/L. Check out the link and specs and let me know what your thoughts are on my choice. I think its a good call but jus still alil unsure. Its suppose to be here by the end of the week thou so I guess I'll find out! erm
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...ries&ks=960


Did you get the Warranty on it?


__________________


Old Post Feb 15th, 2010 09:42 PM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Entity
Illuminati Founder

Gender: Male
Location: Ascended

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Vinny Valentine
Did you get the Warranty on it?
It came with a one year parts and labor.


__________________

None of them sparkle!
Sig by Scythe!

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 02:50 PM
Entity is currently offline Click here to Send Entity a Private Message Find more posts by Entity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vinny Valentine
Vinny Valentine

Gender: Male
Location: Canada

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Entity
It came with a one year parts and labor.


I work with computers for a living at the moment.

Don't be dumb, go back and get the service plan (warranty) from best buy for at least 2 years. It will save your ass more than once. That one year parts and labor is bullshit and horrible.


__________________


Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 01:09 AM
Vinny Valentine is currently offline Click here to Send Vinny Valentine a Private Message Find more posts by Vinny Valentine Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cherrywild
Make me want it.

Gender: Female
Location: Gainesville, FL

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Evilbigfoot
I strongly recomend the "Alienware" brand Computers for an all around good system with tons of RAM, and the other necessities you are looking for. smile
Alienware isn't nearly what it costs. Customer service is nonexistant, The base price of the laptop isn't terrible but with everything you need to add to make it decent, it is pretty bad.

Old Post Feb 17th, 2010 02:25 AM
Cherrywild is currently offline Click here to Send Cherrywild a Private Message Find more posts by Cherrywild Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 04:29 PM.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » Best Buy on a new laptop?

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.