KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Communications » News & Questions » Computer Help Forum » windows defender is killing me

windows defender is killing me
Started by: menokokoro

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
menokokoro

windows defender is killing me

ok here is the situation. i have had my computer since may and apparently windows defender has never been updated. i go to try and make it update it tries to update for a few min then says that windows defender cannot check for updates. then i go online to try and manually update it. when i go to download the new definition it errors out on me saying webpage not available, i have tried that many many times. i tried to just redownload windows defender but it will not uninstal and i get the same error when i try and download it...please help me figure out how to update it, this is driving me mad

Old Post Jan 29th, 2010 08:51 AM
menokokoro is currently offline Click here to Send menokokoro a Private Message Find more posts by menokokoro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
menokokoro

oh, and apparently i have the same problem with windows in general. why must my computers always hate me so?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2010 08:59 AM
menokokoro is currently offline Click here to Send menokokoro a Private Message Find more posts by menokokoro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Just disable it.

Windows Defender is rather useless. Detection rate is low.
Your PC would be more secured with another security software.

After disabling, download/buy and install Microsoft Security Essentials or any other 3rd party security software (I recommend Avast or Antivir for free AV, and Norton or PrevX if you're planning to buy)

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Feb 6th, 2010 12:20 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
menokokoro

well see its more than just windows defendor im having a problem with, the os itself wont update, i cannot download most antivirus software anymore, it always says website not found, the only thing that still works is avg, but that is only viruses, it does not protect against spyware, also...no job atm so...cant buy anything lol

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 10:23 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Are you running a valid version of Windows? IE did it ever pass Windows Genuine Authentication?

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 9th, 2010 10:20 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by menokokoro
the only thing that still works is avg, but that is only viruses, it does not protect against spyware
I'm running with the most recent version of AVG (8.5.427) and it has an anti-spyware/adware feature. It also has an e-mail scanner, ID protection, link scanner, resident shield, etc. on top of it's anti-virus function. So if the version of AVG you're running doesn't have those extras, then you need to update BADLY.

So long as you keep it updated (which you seem to have a problem doing when it comes to computer programs stick out tongue), AVG is the way to go imo. It's completely free, and it works great against all forms of computer-based assault.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Feb 10th, 2010 at 05:33 AM

Old Post Feb 10th, 2010 05:19 AM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
menokokoro

yeah i have avg, i guess i just didn't realize it did spyware also. but i would still like to know why my os doesnt update (and yes it is authentic, it came with the laptop.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 03:03 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

yeah i have avg, i guess i just didn't realize it did spyware also. but i would still like to know why my os doesnt update (and yes it is authentic, it came with the laptop.

Very odd then. Are you running it as an Admin and not a Guest user? This is a long-shot, as I doubt this is the issue, but just throwing it out there.

Go to Start, then All Programs -----> Accessories -----> Command Prompt -----> and finally click Run as administrator.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 11th, 2010 07:21 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
menokokoro

well, now my computer is working smile, only problem is that i had to reinstall my os, and somehow that process was not good for my resolution. it looks fine and all, but everything is stretched to fill the widescreen, i tried changing the resolution but they are all for widescreen anyway...other than that it works fine

Old Post Feb 16th, 2010 08:35 AM
Dominic EX
We are the World!

Even though it comes from your laptop, you cannot say it's authentic unless you verify it on the Microsoft website.
Have you tried verifying it?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2010 07:17 AM
Dominic EX is currently offline Click here to Send Dominic EX a Private Message Find more posts by Dominic EX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote