KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » God / Religion Thread [merged]

is ur god or female?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
female 3 20.00%
male 12 80.00%
Total: 15 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

God / Religion Thread [merged]
Started by: Darth Hater

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (78): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Hater
Restricted

Account Restricted

Did god make us...

or did we make him?

you and us all my man

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 07:27 AM
Darth Hater is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Hater a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Hater Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

how are we supposed to know?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 07:31 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BadKitty
cockeyed

I can only talk about god when I am high.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 07:35 AM
BadKitty is currently offline Click here to Send BadKitty a Private Message Find more posts by BadKitty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Hater
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by BackFire
how are we supposed to know?

sit down and concentrate

you and us all my man

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 07:38 AM
Darth Hater is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Hater a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Hater Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Hater
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
Originally posted by badkittykitty
I can only talk about god when I am high.

me too!!! smokin' smokin'

you and us all my man

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 07:39 AM
yerssot

"God is dead and we killed him"
-Nietsche

(just translated it from dutch, so you'll say it probably different in english)

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 09:33 AM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Marx's opinion of religion is simple: it is an illusion whose chief purpose is to provide reasons and excuses to keep society functioning just as it is. Religion takes our qualities - our highest ideals and aspirations - and alienates us from them, projecting them onto an alien and unknowable being called a god.
Religion is intoxicating like opium.

According to Sigmund Freud, religion is a form of mass neurosis and exists only as a response to deep emotional conflicts and weaknesses.
Also like Marx, religion (god) is an illusion.

But how do you define god?
- omnipotent?
- as a personal relationship?
- creator and sustainer of existence?
- transcendent and immanent?
- etc.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 11:41 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

personaly I feel strongly that society, every society does it, made up God. Like said in the matrix: Hope it is the quintessential human dellusion simultaniously the source of our greatest strenght and our greatest weakness. I think you can place faith in the same category people can do great things when they believe in something but it is also one of our greatest weaknesses as history has shown.

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 12:01 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Well, Marx said lots of things...

THIS debate could also get very nasty so please be careful.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 12:07 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fire

True on both lines Ush
but I usualy agree with Marx

Be smart, be cool, be sexy = be LIBERAL!

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 12:08 PM
Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

somebody has been studying, storm wink

but I do agree on most parts with marx about religion being nothing more then hope to get a better live (the hope of having a good live in heaven after getting kicked around in 'RL')

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 12:39 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

So yerss, Storm and Fire you guys say we made God.
Thats what I believe by the way. Ppl just created him to "feel" better. Hey we all need hope wink

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:07 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

that's why I'm here wink

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:10 PM
jinXed by JaNx

The simple fact is no one will truly ever know untill we die. Everyone can debate and debate, but this gets noone anywhere. For every argument that can be contributed to eigther side Of eigther God or No God .there canl always be another argument made that will contridict or defy the previously made statment.

So whenever someone tells you they know there is no god then they are very ignorant, because no one knows. there is a scary fact that comes from religoun though, and this is the inspiration of other religouns from one belief. There are certain religouns out there that were created with no kind of substance or beliefs. It was started with nothing more than a good idea.

There has always been some type of believed religoun dating back as far as humanity knows. When people try and dissuade someone from a certain belief this is the most ignorant thing any one could ever do, because no one knows. The same goes for when people try and convince someone to practice a religoun. You shouldnt try and convince someone to devote there life on an idea.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:12 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

saying that we can only know after we die, automaticly insinuates that there is a heaven, but on which grounds do you think there is one?
there are religions that say that after life everything is done and over, that there are no afterlives....

imho, it's also ignorant to say there IS a god, because also no-one knows if he DOES exist.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:15 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That is certainly not a very scientific point of view, Rages. By rationality the onus is to prove something DOES exist, not that it doesn't.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:16 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

I'd like to add, of course, that that is not necessarily a dig at religion, which depends upon faith, which has little or nothing to do with scientific rationality, but it is unfair to call someone ignorant for requriing proof to believe that something exists.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:23 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Religion can be classified into one of two types: functional or substantive.
Accepting a substantive definition of religion means looking at religion as simply a type of philosophy, a system of bizarre beliefs, or perhaps just a primitive understanding of nature and reality. From the substantive or essentialist perspective, religion is all about trying to understand ourselves or our world and really has nothing to do with our social or psychological lives.

For those who focus on functionalist definitions, religion is all about what it does: if your belief system plays some particular role either in your social life, in your society, or in your psychological life, then it is a religion; otherwise, it's something else (like a philosophy). Examples of functionalist definitions include describing religion as something which binds together a community or which alleviates a person's fear of mortality.

Btw, I find Descartes' proof based on doubt very interesting and somehow it makes sense imo.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:35 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

But you don't believe everything Descartes says, Storm, seeing as he mathematically proved that God existed.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:39 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

And furthermore, his proof-through-doubt idea ended with him saying each person could only make two conclusions

1. That you yourself exist
2. That God exists.

So again, I doubt you follow that through. One always has to be careful with Descartes.

BtVS

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2003 01:44 PM