KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Why doesn't the Bible show everything?

Why doesn't the Bible show everything?
Started by: Dregh

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dregh

Why doesn't the Bible show everything?

I always wanted to know, WHY doesn't the Bible show EVERYTHING that has been written (Ie: Phillip's writings)

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 02:37 AM
Dregh is currently offline Click here to Send Dregh a Private Message Find more posts by Dregh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tptmanno1
Life Ponder-er

I COULD say because tis a piece of propaganda, but I'll jsut stick with this, The Romans edited it and cut stuff out.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 02:39 AM
Tptmanno1 is currently offline Click here to Send Tptmanno1 a Private Message Find more posts by Tptmanno1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Yeah, there were originally a crapload of books, more than 80 I think... When the Romans compiled the version of the Bible we use today they took most of them out.

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 02:42 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

True, the works in the bible really are there as they support the official Christian doctrine regarding the Christine faith, where as other works, such as the Gnostic gospels are very much different from the "official" version.

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 03:59 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

they took out he stuff that didnt describe jesus as divine

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 09:53 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

yup, and things that go against the other gospels; like Maria Magdalena being the best apostel

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 12:45 PM
yerssot is currently offline Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Clovie

huh

that stuff which is not aproved by church is not in bible and it is called apocryph (sp?)

smart

tricked me once - shame on you, tricked me twice - shame on me

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 01:25 PM
Clovie is currently offline Click here to Send Clovie a Private Message Find more posts by Clovie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

the parts of the bible not included in the standard bible (but included in the greek orthedox - i think?) is the apocrypha.

The parts of it that was left out because of being more mythology than religion (plus early works like the book of enoch) is called the Pseudepigrapha

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 02:57 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eleveninches
God of my own world

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 02:58 PM
eleveninches is currently offline Click here to Send eleveninches a Private Message Find more posts by eleveninches Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-=Urot=-
-=GET_TWISTED=-

quote:
Originally posted by finti
they took out he stuff that didnt describe jesus as divine
Yeah they picked through all the various books and decided what they wanted to give to the people as the holy word of god (censorship at its best) in order to make them subservient to their way of thinking.

Checkout the Council of Nicea:
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustin...randt/nicea.htm

Also checkout Straight Dope's research on the topic of who wrote the Bible? (Part 1 & 2)
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mbible1.html
(A lot of reading is involved, enjoy.)

Edit: Side note, you may want to look at the info about Royal Library of Alexandria.
http://www.bede.org.uk/library.htm
(It was said that a Great wealth of world knowledge was lost during The Alexandrine War.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Last edited by -=Urot=- on Dec 18th, 2004 at 04:38 PM

Old Post Dec 18th, 2004 04:35 PM
-=Urot=- is currently offline Click here to Send -=Urot=- a Private Message Find more posts by -=Urot=- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

best instance of this is the Red or Dead Sea Scrolls, im embarassed to admit that im not sure which one it is, but they said things that went against what the church teaches, such as the need to go to church at all, they said something along the lines of ......lift a rock and you will find me, behind a tree and you will find me.......i know thats way off but the gen idea is there, it was jesus sayin that you need not go to a place of worship to lead a good life, you need only carry God/Jesus' ideals with you in your daily life......this of course would be detremental to the church which is....at its core......a buisness

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 08:31 PM
SithSpy is currently offline Click here to Send SithSpy a Private Message Find more posts by SithSpy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Stigmata
The kingdom of God is within you and all around you. It is not within buildings of wood or stone. Split a piece of wood and you will find me. Look beneath a stone and I am there.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 08:36 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

there u go, that was in the movie stigmata but dont just classify it as fiction b/c of that, the actual scrolls contained scripture very similar.

Last edited by SithSpy on Dec 20th, 2004 at 09:28 PM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:19 PM
SithSpy is currently offline Click here to Send SithSpy a Private Message Find more posts by SithSpy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

ah yes damn Catholic Church, eh.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:27 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

actually thats scripture that the catholic churces considered heiracy, and blasphemous

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:29 PM
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

iti's the baptist you wanna watch out for.....they are, for the most part all about the $$$$$$$

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:29 PM
frodo34x
^_^

Or just all large scale church organisations...

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:34 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithSpy
Prodigal Son

yeah i guess your right, but still the baptists make out the best, have you ever seen a baptist preacher not wearing a nice suit and all the right outfits to go with it

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:50 PM
Bardock42

I've never seen a baptist preacher at all.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:56 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

quote:
iti's the baptist you wanna watch out for.....they are, for the most part all about the $$$$$$$
and you are what denomination, and it aint the baptists that are the money hungry,

Old Post Dec 20th, 2004 09:59 PM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote