KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » God's rest...

God's rest...
Started by: Imperial_Samura

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

God's rest...

So, if one is to believe in God, one is to believe he is all powerful....

So why did he need to rest on the 7th day? Is there some reason why an all powerful being needed to relax after creating all? A symbolic reason? A metaphysical one? Or maybe a theological cause....

Either way, it is hard to see how he/she/it is all powerful if he/she/it becomes tired....

And if God rests on a Sunday, what occupies the rest of his time?

From even the greatest of horrors irony is seldom absent.

Last edited by Imperial_Samura on Dec 23rd, 2004 at 12:52 PM

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 12:49 PM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

That is a really good question, probably people will come up with sth like the Bible was written by Humans, I mean if one thing doesn't seem to make sense how can you say another is right.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 12:54 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clickclick

there was nothing left to do on the 7th day.

I dont know in the bible where it says God rests on sundays.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 01:10 PM
clickclick is currently offline Click here to Send clickclick a Private Message Find more posts by clickclick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

oh he couldn't have made earth a nlittle bit better..
Anyway why rest, why not create something else somewhere els, an almighty person shouldn't have to rest.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 01:12 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clickclick

quote:
Anyway why rest, why not create something else somewhere els, an almighty person shouldn't have to rest.

Two things. A) I dont take everything in the bible literally
B) He didnt feel like creating something else I guess. Not because he couldnt but because he was done creating.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 03:57 PM
clickclick is currently offline Click here to Send clickclick a Private Message Find more posts by clickclick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

If you don't take everything ion the bible literally, what do you take literally then and why

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 04:03 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

That is not the issue in this thread Bardock42.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 04:04 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

huuuuuuun OOOOOOOK

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 04:09 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: God's rest...

quote:
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
So, if one is to believe in God, one is to believe he is all powerful....

So why did he need to rest on the 7th day? Is there some reason why an all powerful being needed to relax after creating all? A symbolic reason? A metaphysical one? Or maybe a theological cause....

Either way, it is hard to see how he/she/it is all powerful if he/she/it becomes tired....

And if God rests on a Sunday, what occupies the rest of his time?

I think that the use of the word "rested" in the Genesis book means that he stop from creating things. Probally God figure he had created enough stuff and so he decided to stop. Thus he rested on the 7th day.

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 04:49 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
frodo34x
^_^

I would have thought it is a symbolic thing.

Click it to see my band's page.^

Old Post Dec 23rd, 2004 07:59 PM
frodo34x is currently offline Click here to Send frodo34x a Private Message Find more posts by frodo34x Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

As have I, but that begs the question, and yes, I know its probably impossible to answer, but what does God do the rest of the time? Rest, the lack of work, as it were, so he created for seven days, then went back to not creating... so for the infinity before creation he technically "was resting" and for how long after creation did he do nothing?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 12:19 AM
Imperial_Samura is currently offline Click here to Send Imperial_Samura a Private Message Find more posts by Imperial_Samura Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KPrince
I Just Can't Win.

WindDancer is somewhat correct. It is like an artist who is making a painting...once he has completed his artwork, he stops and stands back to reflect on what he has just done, and what the significance of his work means to him. God is a Creator, and once He finished the creation, He didn't "rest" from exhaustion, but rather stepped back and admired his work and reflected on its significance.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 01:24 AM
KPrince is currently offline Click here to Send KPrince a Private Message Find more posts by KPrince Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fiery Eyes

I believe he rested to set an example for all christians. To set that day aside of rest, of going to church.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 03:23 AM
Fiery Eyes is currently offline Click here to Send Fiery Eyes a Private Message Find more posts by Fiery Eyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

The answer is obvious, he wanted to watch football and The Simpsons.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 03:56 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

You mean people still believe that the world (as we know it today, as described in the bible) was created in 6 days?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 06:44 AM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Not necessarily, just a hypothesis as it were, if we were to believe it, why?

Old Post Dec 24th, 2004 11:06 AM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote:
Originally posted by KPrince
WindDancer is somewhat correct. It is like an artist who is making a painting...once he has completed his artwork, he stops and stands back to reflect on what he has just done, and what the significance of his work means to him. God is a Creator, and once He finished the creation, He didn't "rest" from exhaustion, but rather stepped back and admired his work and reflected on its significance.

Yeah, that metaphor of an artist admiring his work is what I had in mind. But only as a metaphor.....nothing more.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2004 11:46 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DuronKiller
loves you

quote:
Originally posted by Tex
You mean people still believe that the world (as we know it today, as described in the bible) was created in 6 days?

the bible says 1 day to god means 1000 day to man.....
thatd be 6000 days, i think thats possible...
i think 6 days would be possible too, IF he is almighty....

i think he rested the 7th day, because wouldnt you just like to sit down and relax a whole day too? why wouldnt god want to do that wink
the bible says man are made to be similiar (at least by the look) to god, so.... we like to watch our work when its done.... god maybe likes watching his work too.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 01:16 AM
DuronKiller is currently offline Click here to Send DuronKiller a Private Message Find more posts by DuronKiller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imperial_Samura
Anticrust Smurf

Ah, God watching Earth. It would be like some big soap show. A divine days of our lives. Although it might get a bit boring, after all, whats the fun of watching if one knows how it all ends?

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 01:27 AM
DuronKiller
loves you

i like to watch some movies several times... though i know how these end wink

but i think god shouldnt be too much compared with man, because there would also have at least to be a BIG difference (mean hes almighty, we aint)

Old Post Dec 30th, 2004 01:42 AM
DuronKiller is currently offline Click here to Send DuronKiller a Private Message Find more posts by DuronKiller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote