KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Official favorite scripture thread!

Official favorite scripture thread!
Started by: docb77

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
docb77
Thinker

Smile Official favorite scripture thread!

Ok, here's the deal. I think there is something to learn from everyone. I want to know what everyones favorite scriptural verses are. These can be from the Bible, Torah, Book of Mormon, Bagavad gita, Vedas, Koran, etc. Any writings considered sacred are allowed.

My favorite from the Book of Mormon

Alma 37:36-37

36 Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever.

37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

I like it because it shows a source of strength anyone can turn to when they are in need. There's a comfort knowing He's always there for you.

Last edited by docb77 on Apr 5th, 2006 at 12:54 AM

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 12:51 AM
docb77 is currently offline Click here to Send docb77 a Private Message Find more posts by docb77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Wow, a real religious thread in the religious forum that doesn't question religion. That's... fantastic.

I applaud the idea.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 02:30 AM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Yeah, I wondered why I didn't see anything like this before. So how about it Wesker? Any bit of scripture inspire you?

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 02:46 AM
docb77 is currently offline Click here to Send docb77 a Private Message Find more posts by docb77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Another time. I'm having trouble locating it; I may have the wrong version. Anyways, I -think- it was Corinthians 13-14.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:21 AM
Janus Marius is currently offline Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Whenever you find it.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:23 AM
Punker69

Psalms 3

Luke 16:15-18

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 04:53 AM
Punker69 is currently offline Click here to Send Punker69 a Private Message Find more posts by Punker69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

It would be nice if you all quoted what the verses were, so I wouldn't have to go look them up............hmmm let me think. *thinking*

I just woke up ya know....

If you have offended your brother, put down your sacrifice and go make amends with him, because peace is better than sacrifice.....something like that.....

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 10:00 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

The story of David and Jonathan.

David, a handsome, ruddy-cheeked youth and the youngest son of Jesse, is brought before Saul, the king of Israel, having slain the giant Philistine warrior Goliath with only a stone and sling (1 Sam. 16:14-21).

Jonathan, the eldest son of Saul, is struck with love for David on their first meeting (1 Samuel 18:1), and that same day, makes a covenant with him because he loves him (1 Samuel 18:3). He then removes and offers David the rich garments he is wearing, and shares with him his worldly possessions (1 Samuel 18:4).

The people of Israel openly accept David and sing of his praises, so much so that it draws the jealousy of Saul (1 Samuel 18:5-9). Saul tries repeatedly to kill David, but is each time unsuccessful, and David's reputation only grows with each attempt (1 Samuel 18:24-25).

Upon learning of one of Saul's murder attempts, Jonathan warns David to hide (1 Samuel 19:1-2). David is forced to flee more of Saul's attempts to kill him (1 Samuel 19:1-20:1), and in a moment when they find themselves alone together, David says to Jonathan, "Your father knows well that I have found favor in your sight, and he has said, 'Do not let Jonathan know this, or he will be grieved,' but truly as the LORD lives and as your soul lives, there is hardly a step between me and death," (1 Samuel 20:3).

"Then Jonathan said to David, 'Whatever you say, I will do for you,'" (1 Samuel 20:4). And "Jonathan made a covenant with the house of David, saying, 'May the LORD require it at the hands of David's enemies,'" and "Jonathan made David vow again because of his love for him," (1 Samuel 20:16-17).

David agrees to hide, until Jonathan can confront his father and ascertain whether it is safe for David to stay (1 Samuel 20:18-22). When Jonathan approaches his father to plead David's cause, he replies, "You son of a perverse, rebellious woman! Do I not know that you are choosing the son of Jesse to your own shame and to the shame of your mother's nakedness?" (1 Samuel 20:30).

Jonathan is so grieved that he does not eat for days (1 Samuel 20:34). He goes to David at his hiding place to tell him that it is unsafe for him and he must leave: "When the lad was gone, David rose from the south side and fell on his face to the ground, and bowed three times And they kissed each other and wept together, until David exceeded. Jonathan said to David, 'Go in safety, inasmuch as we have sworn to each other in the name of the LORD, saying, 'The LORD will be between me and you, and between my descendants and your descendants forever.' Then he rose and departed, while Jonathan went into the city," (1 Samuel 20:41-42).

Saul continues to pursue David (1 Samuel 21-23:14), David and Jonathan renew their covenant together (1 Samuel 23:15-18), and eventually Saul and David reconcile (1 Samuel 24:16-22). When Jonathan is slain on Mt. Gilboa by the Philistines (1 Samuel 31:2), David laments his death saying, "I am distressed for you, my brother Jonathan; you have been very pleasant to me. Your love to me was more wonderful than the love of women," (2 Samuel 1:26).

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 10:36 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

I Corinthians 12-14. Specifically:

'Love is patient; love is kind and envies no one. Love is never boastful, nor conceited, nor rude; never selfish, not quick to take offence. Love keeps no score of wrongs; does not gloat over other men's sins, but delights in the truth. There is nothing love cannot face; there is no limit to its faith, its hope, and its endurance.

Love will never come to an end. Are there prophets? their work will be over. Are there tongues of ecstacy? they will cease. Is there knowledge? it will vanish away; for our knowledge and our prophecy alike are partial, and the partial vanishes when wholeness comes. When I was a child, my speech, my outlook, and my thoughts were all childish. When I grew up, I had finished with childish things. Now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we shall see face to face. My knowledge now is partial; then it will be whole, like God's knowledge of me. In a word, there are three things that will last for ever: faith, hope, and love; but the greatest of them all is love.'

That has to be my favorite.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 02:34 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

evil face

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 02:54 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Well if God is evil, then what is Satan? Why did God cast Satan out, and what is his punishment? Satan was proud, and rose up against God (Isaiah 15: 13-14, Ezekiel 28: 14-19). Therefore, he is judged, bruised, chained in darkness, and sent to Hell (John 12: 31, John 16: 11, Romans 16:20, Jude 6, 2 Peter 2: 4, Matthew 25: 41). It’s interesting to note that Satan was an angel (Isaiah 14: 12) who was perfect (Ezekiel 29: 15) and beautiful (Ezekiel 28: 17). The angels had free will, as is indicated by the fact that Satan chose to go against God. If he had known the punishment, he would not have had true free will. However, it says nowhere that Satan knew he would be sent to hell for his act

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:01 PM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

That's just that Dark Ages idea of God's will is right, anything not God's will is wrong. Morality becomes subjective to God; might is right.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:04 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:13 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

Isa.57:1: "The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart."

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:13 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Isreal and Judah.

I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Isreal, and provoked David to number Israel.

Which one of these is true? Is Satan and god the same person??

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:15 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

1 Cor.1:19: "For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and wil bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent."

Old Post Apr 5th, 2006 03:23 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Thanks guys! Lot's of good scriptures.

Hey Shaky, I thought you were buddhist or hindu. I was a little surprised that you used bible scriptures.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2006 12:10 AM
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

He's a poser! Ooooo!

Old Post Apr 6th, 2006 12:11 AM
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

Prov. 16: 2-5....

"All the ways of a man are clean in his own sight, But the Lord weighs the motives.
Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established.
The Lord has made everthing for its own purpose, even the wicked for the day of evil.
Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord; assuredly, he will not be unpunished."

smile

www.impactchurch.info

Old Post Apr 6th, 2006 12:21 AM
sithsaber408 is currently offline Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by docb77
Thanks guys! Lot's of good scriptures.

Hey Shaky, I thought you were buddhist or hindu. I was a little surprised that you used bible scriptures.

I know the bible well, I used to be a Christian.

+ Deb gave it to me. laughing

Old Post Apr 6th, 2006 01:13 AM