KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Jesus may have walked on ice, say scientists

Jesus may have walked on ice, say scientists
Started by: Dreampanther

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Jesus may have walked on ice, say scientists

April 6, 2006 - Jesus walked on water, according to the Bible, but an expert says he may have actually walked on a hard-to-see patch of ice. Doron Nof, a Florida State University professor of oceanography, has sparked controversy by saying a rare combination of water and atmospheric conditions in the Sea of Galilee 2 000 years ago might offer a scientific explanation for one of the miracles recounted in the Bible.

Nof, an Israeli, said a patch of ice floating in the Sea of Galilee - which is actually a freshwater lake - would have been difficult to distinguish from liquid water surrounding it. "I'm not trying to provide any information that has to do with theology here," Nof said yesterday. "All we've thought is about the natural process. What theologians or anybody else does with that, it's their business, so to speak."

Reaction has been sharp. "I get hate e-mail on the average every three minutes," Nof said. Nof and co-researchers Ian McKeague of Columbia University and Nathan Paldor of Hebrew University of Jerusalem based the theory on records of water temperatures in the Mediterranean indicating two periods 2 500 to 1 500 years ago were chilly enough for ice patches to form during cold spells on the Sea of Galilee.

Discuss?

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 10:49 AM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

Um that sounds lame! Yeah well show me the ice then we can talk...............................WE-tard-ED it takes forever to get ice either thick enough to walk or a block huge enough to support you it wouldn't be happening in the middle east unless you can show me a cold kick that would either be sub zero or like 20 degrees for a month.

Yeah where did this professor go to school at .....................internet university?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 11:57 AM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

Oh sweet, I can walk on water too!

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 12:03 PM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soleran
Fast As Time

I heard a comdian explain the walking on water best............................................the bible is a bunch of stories written by Jesus's friends disciples. The reality is they were porbably drunk Jesus was standing in a puddle the the disciple just fooked up when he was drunk and told the tale incorrectlysmile

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 12:05 PM
Soleran is currently offline Click here to Send Soleran a Private Message Find more posts by Soleran Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOne101
Pissin Off the System

....Um ok soleran Bi-polar much? Anyway, I think it's kinda funny that they guy gets hate mails just for pointing out facts of science etc. People are so stupid sometimes....or maybe more like most of the time...smile

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 01:10 PM
TheOne101 is currently offline Click here to Send TheOne101 a Private Message Find more posts by TheOne101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

This just seems silly.............

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 03:01 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It is more likely that the walking on water miracle was added years later by members of the early church who could not distinguish between folklore and historical fact.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 03:40 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punker69

Re: Jesus may have walked on ice, say scientists

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dreampanther
April 6, 2006 - Jesus walked on water, according to the Bible, but an expert says he may have actually walked on a hard-to-see patch of ice. Doron Nof, a Florida State University professor of oceanography, has sparked controversy by saying a rare combination of water and atmospheric conditions in the Sea of Galilee 2 000 years ago might offer a scientific explanation for one of the miracles recounted in the Bible.

Nof, an Israeli, said a patch of ice floating in the Sea of Galilee - which is actually a freshwater lake - would have been difficult to distinguish from liquid water surrounding it. "I'm not trying to provide any information that has to do with theology here," Nof said yesterday. "All we've thought is about the natural process. What theologians or anybody else does with that, it's their business, so to speak."

Reaction has been sharp. "I get hate e-mail on the average every three minutes," Nof said. Nof and co-researchers Ian McKeague of Columbia University and Nathan Paldor of Hebrew University of Jerusalem based the theory on records of water temperatures in the Mediterranean indicating two periods 2 500 to 1 500 years ago were chilly enough for ice patches to form during cold spells on the Sea of Galilee.

Discuss?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 08:01 PM
Punker69 is currently offline Click here to Send Punker69 a Private Message Find more posts by Punker69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Rob
The Leading Man

Discuss?
i hope he has a good time...IN HELL!!!

"With each passing day, the world finds new and exciting ways to kill a man."

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 08:48 PM
Black Rob is currently offline Click here to Send Black Rob a Private Message Find more posts by Black Rob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Black Rob
i hope he has a good time...IN HELL!!!

Are you sending someone to hell? I think that is a sin.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:12 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Rob
The Leading Man

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Are you sending someone to hell? I think that is a sin.
No its not

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:15 PM
Black Rob is currently offline Click here to Send Black Rob a Private Message Find more posts by Black Rob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

No its not

You are judging, and that is not allowed.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:17 PM
Black Rob
The Leading Man

You are judging, and that is not allowed.
Sure it is

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:23 PM
Raelin
XoXo

Discuss?

Doesnt the story also go along with people in a boat? Fishing? I mean...wouldnt ice prevent that???

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:28 PM
Raelin is currently offline Click here to Send Raelin a Private Message Find more posts by Raelin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Sure it is

So, are you doing god's job?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:30 PM
Soleran
Fast As Time

Originally posted by RaeRox
Doesnt the story also go along with people in a boat? Fishing? I mean...wouldnt ice prevent that???

They were Ice Fishing of course! Its fairly typical in the middle east.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:33 PM
Raelin
XoXo

Originally posted by soleran30
They were Ice Fishing of course! Its fairly typical in the middle east.

In a boat? Uh....nuh? big grin

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:35 PM
Raelin is currently offline Click here to Send Raelin a Private Message Find more posts by Raelin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Rob
The Leading Man

So, are you doing god's job?
yeah he told me to

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:36 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

yeah he told me to

Could you get me that raise I asked for?

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:38 PM
Black Rob
The Leading Man

Could you get me that raise I asked for?
I asked him he said "He'll help you if you help yourself"

Old Post Apr 7th, 2006 09:51 PM