KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Atheist morality

Atheist morality
Started by: Darth Revan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Revan
-

Atheist morality

Is there such a thing? Apparently, most Americans don't think so:

"A new study by the Minnesota Department of Sociology found, according to its researchers, that 'Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in "sharing their vision of American society." Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.'"

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2006/05/04/views4.html

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 02:30 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rapscallion

Do you really care about the opinions of people who are prejudice against muslims, gays, and immigrants? So some people who don't like minorities found another minority to hate. It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not atheists are moral.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 04:17 AM
Rapscallion is currently offline Click here to Send Rapscallion a Private Message Find more posts by Rapscallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Morality doesn' t require religion. My consideration for other people is not based upon what some god tells me to do.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 10:28 AM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Hang on, that's a loaded question.

You ask a bunch of people that are more likely than not to be religious about what kind of people share their views of what American society is... why the heck is there any surprise that they rate the people with no religion at all as being outside of this? Clearly they simply see religion as part of American society, because they are religious!

What a pointless exercise.

I really don't think it is any commentary on whether they can have morals.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 10:57 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ushgarak

You ask a bunch of people that are more likely than not to be religious about what kind of people share their views of what American society is... why the heck is there any surprise that they rate the people with no religion at all as being outside of this? Clearly they simply see religion as part of American society, because they are religious!

Well said.

As a starting point, using the views of generally religious Americans on the morals of aethiests is a posta non-grata.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Last edited by Ya Krunk'd Floo on Jun 4th, 2006 at 11:34 AM

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 11:26 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Niiice. thumb up

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 01:56 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Boris

How ironic.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 03:31 PM
Boris is currently offline Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

That's very true....Asking religious people what they think of Atheists....LOL

Isn't it biased? I believe most Americans feel, it's better to believe in some god, then nothing at all........They'll tell you that too, but then they'll also condemn you/convert you to the right god if you believe in the wrong god......

Like asking stanch vegetarians what they think of evil meat eaters...

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 03:48 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Morality is independent of religion. One's individual morality is independent of many things.

It is very dependent however, on one's experiences, biases, and pre-misconeptions.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 09:20 PM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Oh yeah....and relations with other people.

LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

If you lived on an island by youself, you probably wouldn't develop your own sense of morality.

Bardock42

Originally posted by Lord Urizen
If you lived on an island by youself, you probably wouldn't develop your own sense of morality.

Yeah you would, can't really be a thinking person without developing a sort of morality.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 09:29 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah you would, can't really be a thinking person without developing a sort of morality.

Yes you can. There are people who don't beleive in morality. Ask PVS...ask many others.If your born to a realm where you have no contact with other human beings, and you are surrounded by wild animals, your only concern will be survival.

If you do develop a sense of morality it will be the most minimal amount you can imagine, and only based on impulse and emotion. Your inaccess to other human beings will render your logical development non existant.

I still beleive the most important element to developing your own sense of morality is exposure to other human beings. We already know that as children we develop our morality through the influences of our parents, then peers. You won't develop one growing up alone and totally isolated.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 09:50 PM
The Omega
Z10N0101

Originally posted by Darth Revan
Is there such a thing? Apparently, most Americans don't think so:

"A new study by the Minnesota Department of Sociology found, according to its researchers, that 'Americans rate atheists below Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in "sharing their vision of American society." Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry.'"

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2006/05/04/views4.html

Interesting that said Department starts out assuming that atheists are NOT Americans.
“Americans rate atheists…”
So you American atheists, according to the Minnesota Department of Sociology you are not Americans.

Urizen> Why do you think a cognient human alone on an island cannot develop a sense of what she thinks is right and wrong?

"I just thought you were a guy."
"... Most guys do."

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 10:10 PM
The Omega is currently offline Click here to Send The Omega a Private Message Find more posts by The Omega Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

PVS is a very reasonable being, I doubt that he denies that subjective morals exist.

But even if he does, well, they do exist (as certain as I exist..which, isn't much certainty at all, imo) and everyone has them, even if it is a morality of pure selfishness..you just can't be a thinking being without developing a moral code for yourself (as basic as it may be).

Originally posted by The Omega
Urizen> Why do you think a cognient human alone on an island cannot develop a sense of what she thinks is right and wrong?
Hehe, I like how you said she.....

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 10:22 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Lets try an axperiment. I can see evidence both ways. WHo wants to be born alone on an island?

Pro independant morality >> Natural inclinations related to the survival of the species (You usually don't feel good if you hurt someone)

Anti independant morality >> SOcietal overtones and learned behavior (Homosexulaity is wrong)

Bottom line...its untestable. You are going to learn behavior based on other humans actions around you. SInce no child can survive independantly from infancy, we're never goin gto get a concrete answer.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 10:58 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Alliance
Lets try an axperiment. I can see evidence both ways. WHo wants to be born alone on an island?

Pro independant morality >> Natural inclinations related to the survival of the species (You usually don't feel good if you hurt someone)

Anti independant morality >> SOcietal overtones and learned behavior (Homosexulaity is wrong)

Bottom line...its untestable. You are going to learn behavior based on other humans actions around you. SInce no child can survive independantly from infancy, we're never goin gto get a concrete answer.

But you will have some sort of morality...I mean morality is not just interaction between humans...it's towards animals...and things...and most of all towards oneself...so everyone has an own morality....that doesn't mean that you have to consider their morals....moral.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 11:02 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I wasn't debating the relativity of morals or the presence of them.

I was addressing the origin of morality and the island debate, saying it was untestable and neither you or Urizin could find a testable way to prove your point.

Honestly, like most things associated with higher inter-species communication, I think its is a combination of learned behavior and biological determinism.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 11:04 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I wasn't debating the relativity of morals or the presence of them.

I was addressing the origin of morality and the island debate, saying it was untestable and neither you or Urizin could find a testable way to prove your point.

Honestly, like most things associated with higher inter-species communication, I think its is a combination of learned behavior and biological determinism.

Why do you think it is untestable?

Also, you don't need to test something to be sure it is true....

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 11:07 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Physical evidence is the easiest way to back up an argument. True things can be tested, if not physically, then intellecutally.
Since no child can survive independantly from infancy, we're never going to get a concrete answer.

Thats why its untestable.

Behavior is a very physical concept, it is best examined physically, especially becasue we have such a limited knowledge of its concrete neurobiological workings.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2006 11:16 PM