KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Hell

Hell
Started by: Darth Revan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Revan
-

Hell

Apparently Christianity is the only major religion that has such, shall we say, pessimistic views on the afterlife. In Islam, evildoers go to Hell, but only until they have received a given amount of punishment, after which they go to Paradise. Buddhists believe in reincarnation and eventual Nirvana. Judaism doesn't have a lot of clearly defined beliefs about the afterlife—some liberal Jews don't believe in any afterlife.

In short, most other major religions hold that everyone, or nearly everyone, will eventually go to Paradise or Heaven, if anything. Many Christians believe that their faith is "the straight and narrow path" and that the majority will go to Hell for all eternity.

Thoughts?

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 02:21 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

There IS a Hell, and it's in Michigan.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 02:27 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LatinoStallion
Perfection

I honestly think Hell is only a state of mind.

To me, hell is unreasonable agony that oneself cannot seem to justify. But I don't think it is anything more than that. I don't beleive in an afterlife where we will be punished for anything that we did on Earth, as a human race we are imperfect, and should not be punished for being what we are.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 02:44 AM
LatinoStallion is currently offline Click here to Send LatinoStallion a Private Message Find more posts by LatinoStallion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Theres also one on Grand Cayman BWI.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 03:01 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
There IS a Hell, and it's in Michigan.
True!!! not far from Paradise .......hahahahah eek!

Gods honest truth

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 04:13 AM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr_Joshua_Keyes
Earth's Core Restarter

There is a Heaven and Hell..Hell is in the center of this Earth in fact..I read about it..creepy..anyways yeah..

As the EM field becomes more and more unstable, we'll start seeing isolated incidents - one plane will fall from the sky, then two, then, in a few month, anything, everything electronic will be fried.

-Aaron Eckhart, The Core

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 03:45 PM
Dr_Joshua_Keyes is currently offline Click here to Send Dr_Joshua_Keyes a Private Message Find more posts by Dr_Joshua_Keyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Dr_Joshua_Keyes
There is a Heaven and Hell..Hell is in the center of this Earth in fact..I read about it..creepy..anyways yeah..

Why not the center of the sun for hell? You can call the center of the Earth hell if you wish to, it dose nothing good in my life to think that way. I prefer the Buddhist way of thinking about hell as a state of mind, because that gives me something I can work with on making my life better.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 03:51 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

quote:
Many Christians believe that their faith is "the straight and narrow path" and that the majority will go to Hell for all eternity.
They're doomed anyways, cause your thoughts are sins also....

BTW Catholics are Christians and most believe in a purgatory...Purge, purge, purge.........non-scriptural of course.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 04:26 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Why not the center of the sun for hell? You can call the center of the Earth hell if you wish to, it dose nothing good in my life to think that way. I prefer the Buddhist way of thinking about hell as a state of mind, because that gives me something I can work with on making my life better.

I guess then hell is being crushed into a very small speck and burned alive...unless your dead center messed

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 09:55 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
debbiejo
Dreamer

hmmmmmmmm.ok then gravity is hell, especially when heated...... eek!

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:15 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I was just describing the "center of theory" My vision of hell was always a cold barren wasteland, similar to C.S.Lewis's apparently.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:26 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Which book......I've read many......

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:27 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I was referring toi The Lion, the Witch and etc., etc., etc.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:28 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Ohhhhh...Chronicles.......I was thinking........Screw tapes (from the devils view) or Mere Christianity (the after death) were very interesting.........man poor Hitler.....walking back and fourth " I know I shouldn't have gone north, I know I shouldn't of gone north"....Or was that Napoleon....for eternity...............lol

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:34 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I always found it interesting that his vision of hell was so different, especialyl since he was so darn religious.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:36 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

True.........It seems his view in at least Mere Christianity (if I'm right) was they lived over and over their own mistakes of self condemning...Repeated for eternity.......that was they're hell.......

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:39 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Its kind of like Jean Paul Sarte's vision in No Exit.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:43 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

I think I was wrong on the book......It was called "The Great Divorce"

Though I think he felt hell might of been here on earth while we are living in a sorted way..........which I do believe.

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 11:59 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Thats rather pessemistic. At least to me, I don't believe in hell. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 12:41 AM
King of Blades
The King

Re: Hell

Originally posted by Darth Revan
Apparently Christianity is the only major religion that has such, shall we say, pessimistic views on the afterlife. In Islam, evildoers go to Hell, but only until they have received a given amount of punishment, after which they go to Paradise. Buddhists believe in reincarnation and eventual Nirvana. Judaism doesn't have a lot of clearly defined beliefs about the afterlife—some liberal Jews don't believe in any afterlife.

In short, most other major religions hold that everyone, or nearly everyone, will eventually go to Paradise or Heaven, if anything. Many Christians believe that their faith is "the straight and narrow path" and that the majority will go to Hell for all eternity.

Thoughts?

Truth is found in the most strangest of forms. But no religion holds all of it.

However in regards to the idea of Hell: My Catholic views (as I can't speak on behalf of every Catholic let alone Christian) is that HEll is the final alternative. Hell is defined as "The Abscence of God". A place where it's not just fire or brimstone but literally NO GOD! Our worst times in life (whatever they may be) always have some God in them, no matter how bad.

You speak of time from all religions. Well you have plenty of time here. Heaven or Hell is a choice. By your daily actions you constantly prove whether or not you merit Heaven or Hell. God may be merciful, but he isn't stupid. When someone says "no God!" all there life, God in the end isn't going to ask him, "do you want me now?" No, if you didn't want him then, why should you want him now? So Hell is the result. But God doesn't send you there, you send yourself. And no not literally...

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 02:43 AM
King of Blades is currently offline Click here to Send King of Blades a Private Message Find more posts by King of Blades Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote