KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » In what year did B.C. start and end.

In what year did B.C. start and end.
Started by: FistOfThe North

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FistOfThe North

In what year did B.C. start and end.

And the year 1 or 0 A.D. as the end of B.C. doesn't count.

I want to know the actual B.C. or B.C.E. numbers. Beginning and end.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 07:29 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

How can there be a year one? That would imply 1 A.D. Shouldn't the year of his birth be O.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 08:09 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There is no such thing as year zero. It goes from 1 BC to 1 AD.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 08:44 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Infinity is the answer to the thread question.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 08:56 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

No. It's simply, "what year did B.C. start". And it ended at B.C. 1.. How prohetic.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 09:37 PM
FistOfThe North is currently offline Click here to Send FistOfThe North a Private Message Find more posts by FistOfThe North Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Boris

What year did before christ start? Haha.

So, what year did the universe start?

Couple of billion years ago.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 09:41 PM
Boris is currently offline Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

The current opinion I've heard is as follows. It is the year 2007. year 0 was the year that Christ was born. When the monks of the dark ages began to circulate their version of calenders, the monk responsible was off by between 4 and 6 years in his positioning of the year 0. So, it's 2007 plus any number between 4 and 6. So that's between 2011 and 2013 years ago.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 09:50 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

1 BCE to 1 CE

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 09:57 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Ok. We know that B.C. Era ended at B.C.e 1. But at what year did it begin? What was it's starting number. (and why)

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 10:28 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Ok. We know that B.C. Era ended at B.C.e 1. But at what year did it begin? What was it's starting number. (and why)

BC didn't exist until far into AD.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 10:29 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistOfThe North

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
BC didn't exist until far into AD.

hu???????????? ??? ??????

Surely there were numbered years before (0) 1 A.D.

- Darth Plagueis

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 10:34 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Yes, be it was not BC. It was the year of a certain emperor. AD and BC where invented around 300 AD. However, I'm not sure about that date, so don't quote me on it.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2007 10:37 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
The current opinion I've heard is as follows. It is the year 2007. year 0 was the year that Christ was born. When the monks of the dark ages began to circulate their version of calenders, the monk responsible was off by between 4 and 6 years in his positioning of the year 0. So, it's 2007 plus any number between 4 and 6. So that's between 2011 and 2013 years ago.

Then you heard wrong.

There never was a year 0. It started at 1.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 12:07 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
docb77
Thinker

Before the advent of the Gregorian calendar, dates were measured with respect to other kings or major events.

So you'd get the 4th year of the reign of so and so, or 25 years since such and such took place.

In order to extrapolate the current year notation from the ancient records we have to know when the king reigned (what order various kings reigned in) or when whatever event happened.

Modern examples are the Islamic calendar, which dates things since the hijra - the flight from Mecca, or the Chinese calendar which measures things by various regnal years.

The Hebrew calendar supposedly marks time since the fall of Adam.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 05:03 AM
docb77 is currently offline Click here to Send docb77 a Private Message Find more posts by docb77 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

The years were marked by who was emperor, consul, etc. in the Roman/Greek world. I actually have no idea hoe other cultures ran a calendar, but there was no continuous date system.

Thats often why, especially when looking at ancient Greek sources, dates often look like 307/6 BCE...because the calendars don't coincide with the Gregorian calendar and the rule of whoever was in charge for the year overlapped our new year.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 05:37 AM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Devil King
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ushgarak
Then you heard wrong.

There never was a year 0. It started at 1.

Well, haven't you schooled me!

The year zero doesn't exist in several systems. But it does exist, none the less. In many calender systems it would be considered year 1. There is no way to exclude the year in actual time calculations.

"If you were me, you'd know the safest place to hide...is in sanity!

Last edited by Devil King on Mar 3rd, 2007 at 08:49 PM

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2007 08:45 PM
Devil King is currently offline Click here to Send Devil King a Private Message Find more posts by Devil King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote