KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Swearing on the Bible....

Swearing on the Bible....
Started by: Yuna_And_Tidus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kelly_Bean
Warum ist die Sonne rund?

Swearing on the Bible....

Dunno if this topic has been discussed yet, sorry if it has I don't visit here much but I got to thinking. What do people that don't believe in God do when they are sent to court and have to swear on the Bible?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 05:05 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Swearing on the Bible....

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Yuna_And_Tidus
Dunno if this topic has been discussed yet, sorry if it has I don't visit here much but I got to thinking. What do people that don't believe in God do when they are sent to court and have to swear on the Bible?

I believe there is a way you can swear without swearing on the bible, I don't know what it is.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 05:09 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ashestoashesjc

I think it's offensive, making someone of different religion swear on a bible. If they don't swear on a bible then please correct me, but otherwise I'm sticking to my opinion.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 05:30 PM
Ashestoashesjc is currently offline Click here to Send Ashestoashesjc a Private Message Find more posts by Ashestoashesjc Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

If a witness has no religion, or does not wish to swear on a holy book, (s)he may make an affirmation. An affirmation has exactly the same legal effect as an oath.

In the United Kingdom, a witness may swear on the Bible or other holy book.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 05:45 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Not everyone is swearing on the Bible, and you are not MADE to swear on it. It defets the purpose of asking someone who doesn't believe in Bible to swear by it.

You may swear on whichever religious book you like, or otherwise make an affirmation, as already stated by Storm.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:13 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Ah, now I understand.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:14 PM
Kelly_Bean is currently offline Click here to Send Kelly_Bean a Private Message Find more posts by Kelly_Bean Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lil bitchiness
-

Originally posted by Ashestoashesjc
I think it's offensive, making someone of different religion swear on a bible. If they don't swear on a bible then please correct me, but otherwise I'm sticking to my opinion.

Consider yourself corrected.

في هذا العالم ثلاثة أشخاص أفسدوا البشرية : راعي غنم , طبيب و راكب الجمال , و راكب الجمال هو أسوأ نشال و أسوأ مشعوذ بين الثلاثة

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:15 PM
lil bitchiness is currently offline Click here to Send lil bitchiness a Private Message Find more posts by lil bitchiness Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Crimson Phoenix
Lord of the World...kinda

I wonder what athiests swear on

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:21 PM
Crimson Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Crimson Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Crimson Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix

That's what I was wondering.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:27 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

They affirm.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:29 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

A hardrive? stick out tongue

I have been in court a couple of times but they never tell you that you can affirm, I just swore on the bible and lied my a$$ off. wink I do know that when you take your oath in the military you can omit that part.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:36 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

Very few are offered the choice, as they assume you to swear. You can ask to affirm, but you have to be aware of your rights.

Make poverty history.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 06:47 PM
debbiejo
Dreamer

Re: Swearing on the Bible....

They swear on their honor to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

In court in Michigan we don't swear on a bible.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 07:28 PM
debbiejo is currently offline Find more posts by debbiejo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Da Pittman
"Pitt Happens"

Does swearing about the Bible count?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 07:54 PM
Da Pittman is currently offline Click here to Send Da Pittman a Private Message Find more posts by Da Pittman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eezy45
Winter is coming

Originally posted by Ashestoashesjc

well, does it matter to someone who doesn't believe?

i'd swear on my grandma's third eye messed i really wouldn't mind. i'd also swear on Winnie the Pooh..

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 08:12 PM
eezy45 is currently offline Click here to Send eezy45 a Private Message Find more posts by eezy45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

On their testicles.

Because they would testify get it?

Athiests may affirm. If you follow a religion you may ask for the appropraite holy text be brought for you to swear on. If your religion has no holy text or forbids using for an oath you can affirm.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 09:26 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Well what if the court didn't know they were athiests and they swore on a Bible?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 11:15 PM
2D_MASTER
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well what if the court didn't know they were athiests and they swore on a Bible?

Would'nt it be up to the indivual to inform the court that he or she was an atheist? I bet most likely, when an atheist takes the stand, he or she swears on the bible anyways since he or she recogizes that it is more of a legal action and swearing on the bible means nothing spiritually to the person taking the oath anyways.

Shut up! It's Daddy, you shithead! Where's my bourbon?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 11:21 PM
2D_MASTER is currently offline Click here to Send 2D_MASTER a Private Message Find more posts by 2D_MASTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kelly_Bean

Originally posted by 2D_MASTER
Would'nt it be up to the indivual to inform the court that he or she was an atheist? I bet most likely, when an atheist takes the stand, he or she swears on the bible anyways since he or she recogizes that it is more of a legal action and swearing on the bible means nothing spiritually to the person taking the oath anyways.

Exactly, so what does that signify? That he can lie and get away with murder?

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 11:22 PM
Boris

Yeah, people lie all the time in court.

The Bible is there.. well, I have no idea why it's there, it's not as though people are afraid of it.

Old Post Jun 5th, 2007 11:28 PM
Boris is currently offline Click here to Send Boris a Private Message Find more posts by Boris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote