KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Can one choose to believe in God?

Can one choose to believe in God?
Started by: =Tired Hiker=

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Can one choose to believe in God?

Can you actually make a decision to believe in God or not? Like being gay, I don't think people can choose to be gay, bi, or straight, they are what they are.

If someone says they choose to believe in God, it seems fallible. How can this be a decision? It is what it is, isn't it?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 05:48 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It is just like posting on this thread. I have no choice, I have to post. laughing

I think you choose to believe in god.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 06:00 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

lol

ah choice, what a fun topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjam...27s_experiments

more directly, I'd say there is certainly a predisposition to accept supernatural explanations for events

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 06:16 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by inimalist
lol

ah choice, what a fun topic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjam...27s_experiments

more directly, I'd say there is certainly a predisposition to accept supernatural explanations for events

"Libet's experiments suggest unconscious processes in the brain are the true initiator of volitional acts, therefore, little room remains for the operations of free will"

I think your comment on predisposition makes a bit more sense for those who say they believe in God. But can people who say they believe actually truly believe without any reasonable doubt?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 06:36 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

The voluntarist school of thought argues that belief is a matter of will: we have control over what we believe much in the way we have control over our actions. Theists often seem to be voluntarists and Christians in particular commonly argue the voluntarist position.

Involuntarists argue that we cannot really choose to just believe anything. According to involuntarism, a belief is not an action and, hence, cannot be attained by command, either by your own or by another' s to you.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 06:58 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chickenlover98
Loving Chickens

no you cant choose. you can listen. once you hear evidence your brain chooses for you. its not really voluntary. once you have enough evidence you swing one way. if you have more evidence to the contrary you swing the other way. it all comes down to experiences, and what you were taught as a child. to force yourself to believe in something rediculus is truly impossible. deep down you know it isnt true.

people have tried, but they cant. i mean look at some gays. some try to be straight. but eventually they know they have to be gay. it isnt really a choice.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 07:19 PM
chickenlover98 is currently offline Click here to Send chickenlover98 a Private Message Find more posts by chickenlover98 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by chickenlover98
no you cant choose. you can listen. once you hear evidence your brain chooses for you. its not really voluntary. once you have enough evidence you swing one way. if you have more evidence to the contrary you swing the other way. it all comes down to experiences, and what you were taught as a child. to force yourself to believe in something rediculus is truly impossible. deep down you know it isnt true.

people have tried, but they cant. i mean look at some gays. some try to be straight. but eventually they know they have to be gay. it isnt really a choice.
It all sounds reasonable except for one little point:
Originally posted by chickenlover98
deep down you know it isnt true.

Maybe that's your experience. Some of us have the opposite feeling!

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 07:33 PM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This comes up a lot in relation to Pascal's Wager: That we should believe in God "just in case" (that's the nutshell version, not the full version, though hopefully most are familiar with it).

It brings up the problem of choosing belief in a deity. If you believe, can you "decide" to stop believing? Probably not. You can act as though you don't believe, and structure your life as if there is no deity, but if you intrinsically believe, the belief is still there even if its phenotypic effects are not.

And vice-versa with a non-believer deciding to believe.

If I believe that 2+2 = 4, I'd have to be rationally convinced otherwise. It wouldn't be a decision, but a process of one belief being replaced with another.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 07:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by DigiMark007
This comes up a lot in relation to Pascal's Wager: That we should believe in God "just in case" (that's the nutshell version, not the full version, though hopefully most are familiar with it).

It brings up the problem of choosing belief in a deity. If you believe, can you "decide" to stop believing? Probably not. You can act as though you don't believe, and structure your life as if there is no deity, but if you intrinsically believe, the belief is still there even if its phenotypic effects are not.

If I believe that 2+2 = 4, I'd have to be rationally convinced otherwise. It wouldn't be a decision, but a process of one belief being replaced with another.
That's a good way of explaining it.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:00 PM
Quark_666 is currently offline Click here to Send Quark_666 a Private Message Find more posts by Quark_666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

But someone can be wrong and come to a true realization of being wrong. Am I wrong? confused

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:01 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It is just like posting on this thread. I have no choice, I have to post. laughing

It's like an addiction or something..... smokin'

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:01 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quark_666
political cynic

Originally posted by Deja~vu
It's like an addiction or something..... smokin'
Except it's a predetermination. Thus is born the predetermination to inhale Marijuana...

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:05 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

But someone can be wrong and come to a true realization of being wrong. Am I wrong? confused

Sure, but that isn't choosing to believe the opposite. It's the belief being changed as a response to new information/revelations.

The implication in "choosing" in this thread is that there are no antecedent forces present to the decision. Take me for example (hypothetically): "I want to believe in God again. Ok, I do!" For that to actually happen (in me or anyone) I'd have to rationalize the decision somehow. But, if given my current knowledge I cannot rationalize the decision, I can only say that I believe in God, I can't actually believe.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:05 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deja~vu
Dreamer

Originally posted by Quark_666
Except it's a predetermination. Thus is born the predetermination to inhale Marijuana...
laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

God, I love life..and all the predestination crap... happy

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:06 PM
Deja~vu is currently offline Click here to Send Deja~vu a Private Message Find more posts by Deja~vu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Sure, but that isn't choosing to believe the opposite. It's the belief being changed as a response to new information/revelations.

The implication in "choosing" in this thread is that there are no antecedent forces present to the decision. Take me for example (hypothetically): "I want to believe in God again. Ok, I do!" For that to actually happen (in me or anyone) I'd have to rationalize the decision somehow. But, if given my current knowledge I cannot rationalize the decision, I can only say that I believe in God, I can't actually believe.

That makes sense. What I did was change the definition of the word God. wink

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:09 PM
Quark_666
political cynic

What I did was change the definition of the word God. wink
How do I do that?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:43 PM
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

Re: Can one choose to believe in God?

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
Can you actually make a decision to believe in God or not?

Do you choose what is true or false?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:43 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Can one choose to believe in God?

How do I do that?

By realizing that what you have been told, all your life, is a lie.

Originally posted by willRules
Do you choose what is true or false?

No. You must face the truth, even if you have been lied too all of your life.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:46 PM
Quark_666
political cynic

Re: Re: Re: Can one choose to believe in God?

By realizing that what you have been told, all your life, is a lie.
I once realized that, and then I realized I was wrong. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:50 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can one choose to believe in God?

I once realized that, and then I realized I was wrong. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I had the same thing happen to me. I simply realized that my father was wrong.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2008 08:52 PM