KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » What's the point of proving or disproving the existence of God?

What's the point of proving or disproving the existence of God?
Started by: =Tired Hiker=

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I totally get that some people think religion is bogus and some don't, but why make a point to prove or disprove the existence of God?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:19 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Because both sides are so terrified that they're wrong that they'll do anything to get validation.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:22 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Because you'd like to know for sure. And a real proof, for either side, would certainly help further their own agenda.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:22 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Because both sides are so terrified that they're wrong that they'll do anything to get validation.
Originally posted by Bardock42
Because you'd like to know for sure. And a real proof, for either side, would certainly help further their own agenda.

I don't think I agree with you guys. 'Faith' allows people to believe or disbelieve what they want. I can see what both of you are saying, but what is so important about being right, being right in an argument about the validity of God's existence?

I know of too many people who have been left hopeless because of the loss of a loved one, a sexual assault, natural disasters, and the only thing that helped them to get back on their feet was because they have, or they believe they have God with them. So why disprove religion and/or God if it is so important to so many people who simply need to have God in their life in order to cope?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:34 PM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I don't think I agree with you guys. 'Faith' allows people to believe or disbelieve what they want. I can see what both of you are saying, but what is so important about being right, being right in an argument about the validity of God's existence?

I know of too many people who have been left hopeless because of the loss of a loved one, a sexual assault, natural disasters, and the only thing that helped them to get back on their feet was because they have, or they believe they have God with them. So why disprove religion and/or God if it is so important to so many people who simply need to have God in their life in order to cope?
Well, I don't know if it's an agree thing. I am pretty sure that that's the reason why people want it. Whether it's a good reason, I don't know.

I think there are good things about Religion, but since they, imo, are mostly for those that belief, I personally mostly see and feel for the bad. I am biased being basically an atheist, still.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:38 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

People like to be right. Especially, atheists.

Because a lot of atheists focus on just one aspect of religion and/or can't understand that people feel a need for God.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:45 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

People like to be right. Especially, atheists.

I think people like to be right, whether they are an atheist or not.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:54 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I totally get that some people think religion is bogus and some don't, but why make a point to prove or disprove the existence of God?
There are strong emotions involved, there are belief systems at stake, as well as plain ol' egotism. But I think, mostly, that people make the effort, one way or the other, because we are drawn to mystery, and this is the granddaddy of them all.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Oct 28th, 2008 at 10:02 PM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 09:59 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

wow, this topic is meta

I'd question questioning what people want to spend their time debating, but for the obvious hypocrisy

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 10:35 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Who the hell has faith that God doesn't exist?

Atheism and skepticism has nothing to do with faith.

Yep.

Not the fact that I believe religion is poison, it's because I'm scared I devoted my life to...nothing.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 10:35 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by lord xyz

Yep.

Not the fact that I believe religion is poison, it's because I'm scared I devoted my life to...nothing.

It does unless you know for a fact God didn't exist.

Also, we have to remember that for a long time no one had to put faith in God's existence because they knew he was real- they could see him...the sun. They could hear his anger...thunder and lightning. ETC.

So religion and faith are not codependent. Each can survive and be productive without the other.

Why do people debate it?

Because:
Theists need to prove to themselves their faith is not misplaced.
Atheists need to prove to themselves that their faith is not misplaced.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 10:41 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Grand-Moff-Gav
It does unless you know for a fact God didn't exist.
I've said this too many times.

In order for something to be true, it has to follow the three rules.

1. credible evidence
2. follows logic
3. doesn't contradict other truths

Also, we have to remember that for a long time no one had to put faith in God's existence because they knew he was real- they could see him...the sun. They could hear his anger...thunder and lightning. ETC.

They're called lies.

So religion and faith are not codependent. Each can survive and be productive without the other.

Why do people debate it?

Because:
Theists need to prove to themselves their faith is not misplaced.
Atheists need to prove to themselves that their faith is not misplaced.

No. Atheists debate to rid the world of believers of the faith.

It's frustrating people don't realise this.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 10:58 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Re: What's the point of proving or disproving the existence of God?

Enlarge egos and pride in themselves. There is also a supremacy issues...notice they refer to others as "stupid" or "lacking reasoning"

They don't care...they just want to have the last word.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 11:09 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

I've said this too many times.

In order for something to be true, it has to follow the three rules.

1. credible evidence
2. follows logic
3. doesn't contradict other truths

OK...there goes gravity.

They're called lies.

Doesn't matter in anyway if the belief was right or not...they held God's existence as a matter of fact, not a matter of faith.

No. Atheists debate to rid the world of believers of the faith.

It's frustrating people don't realise this.

Do they? I can think of one or two atheists on these forums to dont have some childish agenda like the one you put forward- again I am correct.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 11:31 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Debunking a misconception:

A transcendent God isn't falsifiable. So no one, atheists included, try to "disprove" him/her/it. Statements and predictions made by earthly religions, as well as supposed paranormal phenomenon, however, are falsifiable. Gotta stick to what remains logical.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2008 11:33 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by DigiMark007
Debunking a misconception:

A transcendent God isn't falsifiable. So no one, atheists included, try to "disprove" him/her/it. Statements and predictions made by earthly religions, as well as supposed paranormal phenomenon, however, are falsifiable. Gotta stick to what remains logical.

I think your wrong...

XYZ is an atheist and his stated aim is to disprove God.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2008 12:06 AM
Bardock42

I think your wrong...

XYZ is an atheist and his stated aim is to disprove God.

"you're" ... and xyz is not representative of atheists.

Well, at least not intellectual, informed atheists.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2008 12:08 AM
Grand-Moff-Gav

Originally posted by Bardock42
"you're" ... and xyz is not representative of atheists.

Well, at least not intellectual, informed atheists.

Oops,

Thanks...anyway he is still an atheist- so to say atheists do not try and disprove isnt taking into account that some of them do...

Old Post Oct 29th, 2008 12:29 AM
Bardock42

Oops,

Thanks...anyway he is still an atheist- so to say atheists do not try and disprove isnt taking into account that some of them do...
True.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2008 12:30 AM
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

Yep.

How can Atheism and skepticism have NOTHING to do with faith?

Old Post Oct 29th, 2008 01:01 AM