KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Religulous

Religulous
Started by: Bicnarok

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Religulous

Just watched this DVD where this chap Bill Maher takes the micky out of Religion. Its not very factual and there are a lot of gaping holes in the arguments, but neverthless he makes some good points, anyone else seen this and if so what are your opinions.

Heres a link for more info and a clip from youtube.

Link

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 04:42 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Grand-Moff-Gav

meh

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 04:52 PM
Grand-Moff-Gav is currently offline Click here to Send Grand-Moff-Gav a Private Message Find more posts by Grand-Moff-Gav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Haven't seen the movie. From the pitch, and the interview there, it seems almost solely intended for humor's sake, and to stir controversy. If Maher wanted to actually posit a credible treatise against religion, he'd do so in a different format. So I'm interested at the reaction from the media, the public, this forum, etc. and intend to watch the movie. But only to be entertained.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 04:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

It is quite entertaining apart from some boring things about his past he goes on about. He does annoy some people though.

You can get the vid on torrent servers by the way.

Old Post Jan 28th, 2009 06:58 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

here is a counter argument for bill muhers video

really intellegent religious guy he actually makes alot of sense.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 05:12 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Any good atheist would tear him apart on the idea of knowing when to wear the "right lenses". They would be blind to their own hubris and totally incapable of seeing the point, but they would still wreck him in a straight up debate.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 05:23 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Any logical arguments will always obliterate any religion. Because religion is 90% blind belief 10 % ideas from some book.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 03:16 PM
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Any good atheist would tear him apart on the idea of knowing when to wear the "right lenses". They would be blind to their own hubris and totally incapable of seeing the point, but they would still wreck him in a straight up debate.

You are a bit of an atheist hater, aren't you?

What happened? Your family got raped by wild atheists?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 03:40 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Any logical arguments will always obliterate any religion. Because religion is 90% blind belief 10 % ideas from some book.

It sounds like you are not talking about all religions. Buddhism is more like 10% blind belief and 90% practical philosophy.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 03:44 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Bardock42
You are a bit of an atheist hater, aren't you?

What happened? Your family got raped by wild atheists?

I have nothing against atheists. Just against their dogma.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 04:14 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I have nothing against atheists. Just against their dogma.

Atheist dogma? laughing

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 04:23 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Atheist dogma? laughing

Yeah confused

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 04:26 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Yeah confused

There is no such thing.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 04:37 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Generalization, and some honestly insulting assumptions about an entire group of people. I think Maher makes the assumption that too many others do about atheism: that being one automatically makes you one of the sterotypical "angry" atheists that command so much attention but actually make up the minority of the group. Just like extremist evangelicals grab Christian headlines but don't represent the majority.

I'm also routinely surprised by the number of people who think atheism means "I know there isn't a God" rather than "I believe there is no God." Few, if any, atheists are the former. It's a position of faith and belief, not of certainty.

And while I can't speak for an entire group of people, all the atheists I know would be in rough agreement with Maher. They, and I, just don't see the need to drop the label, because it doesn't have to automatically mean the dogmatic extremism that Maher and other seem to think it does.

I've seen atheists drop the label for similar reasons though. Some simply don't want to fight the stereotype, so they become agnostic, or non-theist, or some similarly less controversial word.

I'm also not sure how a "good atheist" would wreck Maher in a debate. They'd be essentially in agreement, so there wouldn't be much to argue over.

Last edited by Digi on Jan 29th, 2009 at 07:24 PM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 07:21 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

I was responding to WS's post that presented a counter argument.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 07:41 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I was responding to WS's post that presented a counter argument.

Ah. Well sh*t. There's 3 minutes of my life I'll never have back.

embarrasment

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 11:19 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Though the lenses metaphor that the priest uses is a good one if it's in response to an attack on religious literalism. It's actually a fine response to Maher's methodology and message, though I don't think Maher was trying to cover all of his philosophical bases with the film. It's meant for entertainment. You're right that the priest's argument isn't without further flaws, but the distinction between literal and metaphoric parts of the Bible is the first necessary step to making it resistant to any type of scrutiny. It also makes it easier to swallow.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2009 11:27 PM
Dark Riddick
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
Ah. Well sh*t. There's 3 minutes of my life I'll never have back.

embarrasment

its ok, you can respond on my behalf with an intelligent answer that expresses my view point.

stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 01:01 AM
Dark Riddick is currently offline Click here to Send Dark Riddick a Private Message Find more posts by Dark Riddick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Watching it atm. Annoys me so far.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 01:21 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ushomefree

quote:
Originally posted by Bicnarok

Just watched this DVD where this chap Bill Maher takes the micky out of Religion. Its not very factual and there are a lot of gaping holes in the arguments, but neverthless he makes some good points, anyone else seen this and if so what are your opinions.

Flat on its face, I have no problem with it; that is my opinion. Bill Maher, himself, stated that his film is not a documentary, but merely a comedic film. (Not in those exact words, but you know what I mean.) Regardless, with all the nonsense in the world today, I really don't see the need for such a film. That is my opinion, also. It seems to me, that the funds provided for the production of this film, could have gone towards something productive/meaningful. Heck, if the guy had a political statement or something of that caliber to make, more power to him! That would be money well spent!! But, this was merely a comedic film. Still, with all in mind, I can't knock the guy. Once it's available for purchase, consider it mine. Cool post Bicnarok!

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 05:48 AM
ushomefree is currently offline Click here to Send ushomefree a Private Message Find more posts by ushomefree Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote