KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Atheism is not a worldview

Atheism is not a worldview
Started by: Admiral Akbar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Admiral Akbar

Atheism is not a worldview

Can atheism be classified as a conclusion about ultimate reality derived from a worldview or some other other source? Or is it the opposite? Atheism being neither a worldview or a conclusion.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 11:16 PM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Atheism is not a worldview

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
Can atheism be classified as a conclusion about ultimate reality derived from a worldview or some other other source? Or is it the opposite? Atheism being neither a worldview or a conclusion.

I think it is both. There are people who actively disbelieve a particular religious point of view about a god, and there are people who do not know or care.

Old Post Sep 24th, 2009 11:53 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Atheism is generally a conclusion about reality. I'm not sure what you mean by "ultimate reality", though.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 12:13 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Atheism is generally a conclusion about reality. I'm not sure what you mean by "ultimate reality", though.

Same thing pretty much.

Why is it a conclusion of reality? I got the impression that all it does it discredit other conclusions.

When the darkness comes, keep an eye on the light no matter how far away it seems.

Last edited by Admiral Akbar on Sep 25th, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 12:31 AM
Admiral Akbar is currently offline Click here to Send Admiral Akbar a Private Message Find more posts by Admiral Akbar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

Same thing pretty much.

Why is it a conclusion of reality? I got the impression that all it does it discredit other conclusions.

Atheism is the conclusion that there is no God. It can be either a positive or negative claim.

First you ask the question "is there a God?"
Second you look for a reason to believe or not.
Third you make a conclusion. A theist makes the conclusion "there is reason to believe there is a God" the atheist makes the conclusion that "there is no reason to believe there is a God".

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 12:39 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

Atheism is the conclusion that there is no God. It can be either a positive or negative claim.

First you ask the question "is there a God?"
Second you look for a reason to believe or not.
Third you make a conclusion. A theist makes the conclusion "there is reason to believe there is a God" the atheist makes the conclusion that "there is no reason to believe there is a God".

However, it has been pointed out to me, that the definition of atheism includes people who have never been exposed to the concept of a god.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 12:43 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
However, it has been pointed out to me, that the definition of atheism includes people who have never been exposed to the concept of a god.

True, but that's uncommon enough to disregard when generalizing especially about the western world.

A juvenal prank.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 01:01 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Re: Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

What?!

A theist makes the conclusion "there is reason to believe there is a God" the atheist makes the conclusion that "there is no reason to believe there is a God".

I'll cosign this because it seems to answer something resembling the thread starter's question.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 01:23 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Admiral Akbar

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

Originally posted by Digi
What?!

I'll cosign this because it seems to answer something resembling the thread starter's question.

In my defense, this isn't my question. Someone on youtube posed the question I just copied and pasted it in a thread to get a response. The question was confusing I just wanted some clarity. You can close the thread if you want.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 01:35 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

In my defense, this isn't my question. Someone on youtube posed the question I just copied and pasted it in a thread to get a response. The question was confusing I just wanted some clarity. You can close the thread if you want.

No worries. But yeah, it's a bit confusing. But you should've been tipped off by this:

Someone on youtube...

There's not a scenario in existence where that phrase ends well.

wink

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 06:49 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Someone on youtube...gave me a million dollars.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 07:18 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

No worries. But yeah, it's a bit confusing. But you should've been tipped off by this:

There's not a scenario in existence where that phrase ends well.

wink

Hey! I have a video on YouTube. sad laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 02:30 PM
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

It vaguely depends on whether atheism is "There is no god" or "There is no reason to assume a god"

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 02:53 PM
Ordo is currently offline Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AngryManatee
Sexy Ham Manwich

Re: Re: Atheism is not a worldview

It's kind of like ultimate fighting except not quite as x-treme

You don't need good rear vision because you're always in front!

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 04:53 PM
AngryManatee is currently offline Click here to Send AngryManatee a Private Message Find more posts by AngryManatee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Bardock42
Someone on youtube...gave me a million dollars.

Clearly false. People just think they're entitled to millions of dollars because their sh*tty video of cute cats got a billion hits or something.

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Hey! I have a video on YouTube. sad laughing out loud

As do I. I just don't leave comments. Youtube comments are the lowest form of communication known to man. Read them sometime and you can actually feel your IQ going down.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 05:18 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

...As do I. I just don't leave comments. Youtube comments are the lowest form of communication known to man. Read them sometime and you can actually feel your IQ going down.

I didn't mean for you to take what I said seriously. Maybe I should have put it on YouTube first. wink

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 05:20 PM
tsilamini

atheism, as in, not believing in God, is not a worldview. It is that lack of a particular worldview.

however, the modern movement that has attached itself to the name "atheist", which has notable figures, conventions and policy goals, is.

I'd post that Sam Harris talk again, but I've done it like 4-5 times before. Atheism, as a movement, is asinine

Old Post Sep 25th, 2009 06:14 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote