KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » The new pejorative: "Faith"

The new pejorative: "Faith"
Started by: Red Nemesis

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zamp
The Blind Critic

The new pejorative: "Faith"

Why is it that the label "religion" is so often used as a pejorative in contemporary political debates? I've heard both environmentalism (link) and atheism (I'd link to Youtube, but that's hardly fair. try this, instead) called a religion.

In most of these cases, the attack is launched by a member of a legitimate faith, usually Christianity. Are they aware that using the concept of "faith" as an attack is almost certainly detrimental to their own position (if only in terms of framing future issues)? Are they aware of the possible pitfalls (like being wrong) that follow such a tactic?

Has anyone else noticed this trend tendency, or am I overreacting? (And do they hope for just this sort of overreaction?)

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 03:44 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

It's just pure hypocrisy and a blissful obviousness of the inconsistencies in their own words. Typical stuff.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 03:48 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Yeah, only a wacko could look at a partially organized group of people with a common belief about the nature of the universe paired with a proscriptive system of ethics and see a religion.

Also keep in mind the English is not French: it evolves rapidly and even dictionaries are a guide at the best of times. There is no position from which you can actually back up the claim that "religion means xxxxx" so long as the use is broadly similar to original one.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 04:08 AM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
King Kandy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Yeah, only a wacko could look at a partially organized group of people with a common belief about the nature of the universe paired with a proscriptive system of ethics and see a religion.

I think you completely missed the point here... what we (or at least I assumed we) were talking about is how "religion" is used as a put-down by people who are themselves religious.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 04:48 AM
King Kandy is currently offline Click here to Send King Kandy a Private Message Find more posts by King Kandy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Well yeah, but Sym couldn't think of anything to say about that. So, instead, he picks at a passing comment in the hopes of getting a rise and making himself MOAR IMPOARTENT.

erm

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 04:56 AM
Zamp is currently offline Click here to Send Zamp a Private Message Find more posts by Zamp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

The idea goes back a little further, (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_religion) but I don't necessarily see the hypocrisy.

Its similar to the "anti-darwin" or "post-modern" stuff. Religion cannot compete with science, period. Because things like environmentalism and atheism make logical appeals to empiricism, they are better suited in arguments of fact. If a religious person makes these ideals look like they are as much a belief system as a religion, a moderate american conservative goes "hmmmm, well, if its all the same, I'm going to stick to my guns".

EDIT: I would also say that (at least specifically in the case of atheism) minus a spiritual component, there are huge sections of both the "environmentalist" and "atheist" communities for whom the "religion" label is apt. I would suspect the majority of those who self-identify with either term may be accuratly described as "religious".

Last edited by tsilamini on Dec 15th, 2009 at 06:21 AM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 06:18 AM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I have no idea WTF anyone is talking about in this thread. (Kay, I do, a little...but I still feel confused.)

K, so, someone explain to the hypocrisy of "atheism" in the contexts of the opening post. Please. I'm confused.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 08:10 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symmetric Chaos
Fractal King

Originally posted by King Kandy
I think you completely missed the point here... what we (or at least I assumed we) were talking about is how "religion" is used as a put-down by people who are themselves religious.

Oh, I see.

It seems likely that is a response to the feeling that other side is being hypocritical. Just a very stupid way of trying the old supervillain "we're not so different you and I" line.

Graffiti outside Latin class.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
A juvenal prank.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 05:31 PM
Symmetric Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Symmetric Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Symmetric Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsilamini

Originally posted by dadudemon
I have no idea WTF anyone is talking about in this thread. (Kay, I do, a little...but I still feel confused.)

K, so, someone explain to the hypocrisy of "atheism" in the contexts of the opening post. Please. I'm confused.

They think the Christian is using "religion" as a pejorative, when instead she is using it to try and undermine the empiricism used in atheist and environmentalist arguments.

its not hypocritical, because she is not claiming any empirical supremacy in Christianity, more trying to make it seem that science and religion are the same because science is a religion, therefore there is no reason to believe science over Christianity.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 06:29 PM
tsilamini is currently offline Click here to Send tsilamini a Private Message Find more posts by tsilamini Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Re: The new pejorative: "Faith"

Originally posted by Red Nemesis
In most of these cases, the attack is launched by a member of a legitimate faith, usually Christianity.

Legitimate faith is an oxymoron.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2009 11:46 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zamp
The Blind Critic

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Legitimate faith is an oxymoron.

laughing Well, recognized faith then.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 02:26 AM
Adam_PoE

laughing Well, recognized faith then.

That is rather subjective. A Scientologist would recognize his faith, but most others would not. Still others would not recognize any faiths.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 10:12 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by inimalist
They think the Christian is using "religion" as a pejorative, when instead she is using it to try and undermine the empiricism used in atheist and environmentalist arguments.

its not hypocritical, because she is not claiming any empirical supremacy in Christianity, more trying to make it seem that science and religion are the same because science is a religion, therefore there is no reason to believe science over Christianity.

I get what you're saying...but that lady makes no sense.

Wait, it would all make sense if she wore a red foam nose and painted her face white...

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 10:58 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sadako of Girth
Extreme Mode

Science is real, and has yielded provable, testable and pretty reliable results.
Thats perhaps why 'religion' is not a word that is accurate when describing it.

The monitors, computers, internet that we communicate on now etc were not built from 'god's eternal love' or any blind faith in cultist scripture.
And science fears no scrutiny.... it and our understanding of it evolves honestly.

Science as science, religion as religion.
Religion works on blind faith.
And blind faith does have well earned pejorative tones.

"Van Zan is the Pinocchio of feces." - Lestov16

Last edited by Sadako of Girth on Dec 16th, 2009 at 02:58 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 02:56 PM
Sadako of Girth is currently offline Click here to Send Sadako of Girth a Private Message Find more posts by Sadako of Girth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thundar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: The new pejorative: "Faith"

Why is it that the label "religion" is so often used as a pejorative in contemporary political debates? I've heard both environmentalism (link) and atheism (I'd link to Youtube, but that's hardly fair. try this, instead) called a religion.

In most of these cases, the attack is launched by a member of a legitimate faith, usually Christianity. Are they aware that using the concept of "faith" as an attack is almost certainly detrimental to their own position (if only in terms of framing future issues)? Are they aware of the possible pitfalls (like being wrong) that follow such a tactic?

Has anyone else noticed this trend tendency, or am I overreacting? (And do they hope for just this sort of overreaction?)

All beliefs systems are religion depending upon how one follows them.

Thundercats Hooo!!!

Old Post Dec 16th, 2009 04:30 PM
Thundar is currently offline Click here to Send Thundar a Private Message Find more posts by Thundar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote