KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » We're All Theists

We're All Theists
Started by: BananaKing

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BananaKing
Your soul.

We're All Theists

Yep, you heard me right, we're all theists.

Because in the end, reality and God are by definition exactly the same, so anyone who believes in reality is technically a theist.

How can anyone contend it? Reality is omnipresent, the source of all power, the source of all consciousness, self limited and eternal. It is a pan/monotheistic God.

We also all believe in miracles. Why? because consciousness arising from non consciousness is a miracle. Anyone who claims we arise from a universe devoid of any kind of consciousness is directly defying basic math.

Elementary particles must be made of pieces/aspects of consciousness for our brain to produce consciousness, otherwise you are claiming 0 consciousness + 0 consciousness = 1 consciousness. Logically impossible.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 04:05 PM
BananaKing is currently offline Click here to Send BananaKing a Private Message Find more posts by BananaKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

I think of God as a person. One with very good sense.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 06:08 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

This premise rapes semantics blind.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 10:05 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

The title should be "We are all agnostic" because no one can have a sure knowledge that God does not exist unless that person becomes omniscient...which is an absurdity because by becoming omniscient and then knowing for a certainty that God does not exist, that person becomes God thus defeating the claim. I love it.

So any time I hear an atheist say, "I know for a fact God doesn't exist." I gasp and said, "Lord! Have mercy! I did not know! Please, I have questions!"

The dumbfounded looks...

Old Post Apr 6th, 2014 10:10 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: We're All Theists

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BananaKing
...How can anyone contend it? Reality is omnipresent, the source of all power, the source of all consciousness, self limited and eternal. It is a pan/monotheistic God...

How is reality omnipresent? I tell you that reality is different for each person, and from time to time contradictory.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2014 06:47 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BananaKing
Your soul.

Re: Re: We're All Theists

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
How is reality omnipresent? I tell you that reality is different for each person, and from time to time contradictory.

Reality (and by this I mean the state of being if you're slightly mislead by the reality I'm talking about) is omnipresent in the sense that it is everywhere that exists.
It may seem like semantics, but there is a ground of reality on which things are based, otherwise the human brain would not function.

It may look different for each person, but it is there nonetheless.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2014 11:16 PM
BananaKing is currently offline Click here to Send BananaKing a Private Message Find more posts by BananaKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Re: We're All Theists

Yep, you heard me right, we're all theists.

Because in the end, reality and God are by definition exactly the same,

Citation? Explanation? Your thread's premise unravels on the second line.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2014 11:22 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: We're All Theists

Reality (and by this I mean the state of being if you're slightly mislead by the reality I'm talking about) is omnipresent in the sense that it is everywhere that exists.

But the cosmos doesn’t know that it exists. In order for omnipresent to have meaning, there must be an observer, and the only observer in the universe is us living beings (be they alien or human), and we are not omnipresent. Therefore, omnipresent must refer to something outside the universe, and that would be God in the classical sense.
It may seem like semantics,

I’m thinking more like cloak.
but there is a ground of reality on which things are based, otherwise the human brain would not function.

I absolutely agree! However, I firmly believe that a personification is an abstraction to represent something we cannot understand. And something that cannot be understood cannot be written down.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2014 12:45 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

It may seem like semantics, but there is a ground of reality on which things are based, otherwise the human brain would not function.

Is reality conscious? Or is it just a big machine?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2014 02:15 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Re: Re: Re: Re: We're All Theists

Originally posted by Shakyamunison

something that cannot be understood cannot be written down.

Try fully examining the U.S. Tax Code if you believe this to be the case.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2014 04:03 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: We're All Theists

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
Try fully examining the U.S. Tax Code if you believe this to be the case.

I realize that you are joking, but the Tax Code can be understood. Sure you will loose your mind, but it can be done.

An example of something that cannot be understood or known is the precise location and velocity of an electron. The more you know about the location, the less you know about its velocity, and visa-versa. Therefore the precise location and velocity of an electron at any moment of time cannot be known, and therefore cannot be written down.

God is the same way, the more you know about God, the less real God seems to be. Therefore, if you knew everything about God, then God would not exist.

That is way faith is so important.

Old Post Apr 11th, 2014 04:14 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

I'm pretty sure this completes the circle. I'm 100% sure we have a "We're All Atheists" thread, and relatively sure there's an agnostic equivalent as well.

We're all everything, you guys. We can close down the forum now.

Old Post Apr 13th, 2014 11:42 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 14th, 2014 01:08 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BananaKing
Your soul.

Originally posted by Mindship
Is reality conscious? Or is it just a big machine?

Well if it is a machine it's a machine that possesses aspects of consciousness (because our consciousness can't come from nowhere) that once upon a time (before the "big bang") were condensed in form more complex than all the people on earth's brains combined.

If consciousness is created by specific particles touching each other in a complex fashion, then before the big bang the universe was more conscious than all of us.

True, consciousness is in many ways a mystery, but shouldn't be exempt from the laws of reason.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Citation? Explanation? Your thread's premise unravels on the second line.

What kind of citation do you want? I'd try and find all the biblical references to Gods attributes but I'm not sure how long that would take.

I had explained it in the original post. Whatever the totality of existence is, is the source of everything, and defines what everything is.
It's completely self limited, because nothing else exists to limit it besides itself, which is the most robust definition of "free will" you can get.

It is everywhere, the source of all power, the source of all consciousness, eternal and self sustaining etc etc.

Last edited by BananaKing on Apr 15th, 2014 at 07:18 PM

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 07:07 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

...If consciousness is created by specific particles touching each other in a complex fashion, then before the big bang the universe was more conscious than all of us...

Particles did not form until after the big bang.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 07:22 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

If consciousness is created by specific particles touching each other in a complex fashion, then before the big bang the universe was more conscious than all of us.

Among other flaws, you're mistaking size with coherence. Was the universe conscious simply because more particles were present? So does the sun have consciousness? A building? Interstellar gas clouds? They all have an incalculable number of particles touching in a complex fashion.

Because in the end, reality and God are by definition exactly the same, so anyone who believes in reality is technically a theist.

This is probably your central problem. You're treading over the well-worn path of equating God with the universe. That's great and all, but if everything is God, nothing is. It becomes a worthless term. It doesn't make you a theist if you believe the universe exists. It just means you've watered down the concept of God so much that it has no practical meaning.

This definition of God is also incongruent with 99% of the definitions of God used by, well, anyone. If God is the universe, and nothing else, then yes, we're all theists. But so what? That's not what anyone's religion actually is. That's not what anyone's God is. And anyone who doesn't believe in God is going to tell you they wouldn't call the universe God, they'd just call it the universe. So...how is it at all constructive to posit this?

Last edited by Digi on Apr 15th, 2014 at 08:04 PM

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 07:51 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

(because our consciousness can't come from nowhere)
AFAIK, consciousness is regarded as an emergent phenomenon, but emergent from what? Is it a synergistic result produced from complex organization of matter (ie, living things), or, emergent through complex matter, but ultimately from a transcendent source (ie, a source preceding and beyond the material world)?

Put another way: would you consider yourself a pantheist or a panentheist? (Kindly google for definition of terms).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 08:35 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thomas p

There is no reason to accept your definition of reality bring equal to god.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2014 08:09 AM
Thomas p is currently offline Click here to Send Thomas p a Private Message Find more posts by Thomas p Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Thomas p
There is no reason to accept your definition of reality bring equal to god.

Why?

Old Post Apr 20th, 2014 06:54 PM
BananaKing
Your soul.

Originally posted by Digi
Among other flaws, you're mistaking size with coherence. Was the universe conscious simply because more particles were present? So does the sun have consciousness? A building? Interstellar gas clouds? They all have an incalculable number of particles touching in a complex fashion.

... It becomes a worthless term. It doesn't make you a theist if you believe the universe exists. It just means you've watered down the concept of God so much that it has no practical meaning.

This definition of God is also incongruent with 99% of the definitions of God used by, well, anyone. If God is the universe, and nothing else, then yes, we're all theists. But so what? That's not what anyone's religion actually is. That's not what anyone's God is. ...

I don't know how consciousness works, I only know that you can't get something from nothing.
I'd say everything has aspects of consciousness at the very least, just not as finely tuned as us and in many ways they are seemingly more disorganised (even though they are actually more predictable than us).

The reason I said this is that we do all believe in miracles, the unexplainable. But some of us just find some miracles easier to believe than others.

Many monotheists would say they believe that God is all powerful, omnipresent, eternal and the source of all consciousness, and reality does have these qualities. According to the people I've asked the only reason they don't is because they are afraid it would make God look "impersonal".

However, they would be wrong, if God is reality he constitutes 100% of our personal lives, and it explains a lot of morality if he is everything and everyone.

Originally posted by Mindship

Put another way: would you consider yourself a pantheist or a panentheist? (Kindly google for definition of terms).

To be honest, I'm often asking myself the same question.

I think I'm somewhere between the two. Ultimately I don't know how it emerges, how can we? I just know that you can't get something from nothing, and if you can, it is arguably not nothing any more.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 05:37 PM