KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Atheists vs Evangelist

Atheists vs Evangelist
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Atheists vs Evangelist

vs

I dunno, Atheism seems boring as hell.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:32 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

They are both "boring as hell".

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:38 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
They are both "boring as hell".

You didn't watch the video sad

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:39 PM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
You didn't watch the video sad

I can't. Youtube is blocked.

However, both Christianity and Atheism bore me to death. There is a god vs there is no god is boring beyond belief (pun intended).

I would rather talk (read) about things that matter in real life.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:46 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

So what's the point of this thread? To further polarize people that were never going to agree in the first place?

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:49 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

And to make generalizations using a single Youtube video per faction.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:55 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I can't. Youtube is blocked.

However, both Christianity and Atheism bore me to death. There is a god vs there is no god is boring beyond belief (pun intended).

I would rather talk (read) about things that matter in real life.

Ok well in one video I wanted to fall asleep, in the other I was encouraged. The same way those people were. I didn't see any thing that was actually going to change my life, however in the evangelism one. I feel encouraged.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:57 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Validity =/= sense of encouragement.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:58 PM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
So what's the point of this thread? To further polarize people that were never going to agree in the first place?

Showing the difference between beliefs. Look at the people in the frist video, very dull and dreary, no spark or life in them, nothing to really live for but their own idea's. Seems sad.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 05:59 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Showing the difference between beliefs. Look at the people in the frist video, very dull and dreary, no spark or life in them, nothing to really live for but their own idea's. Seems sad.

1. Small sample size. These people aren't chronically depressed because there's no God. They could be serious or somber individuals in an intelligent discussion and show happiness or levity outside of it. Also, forced enthusiasm is a huge part of evangelist gatherings.

2. This is clearly a bait thread.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 06:05 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Stealth Moose
1. Small sample size. These people aren't chronically depressed because there's no God. They could be serious or somber individuals in an intelligent discussion and show happiness or levity outside of it. Also, forced enthusiasm is a huge part of evangelist gatherings.

2. This is clearly a bait thread.

Jail bait lol, Digi posted a video about that and made me think, what does evangelism look like in a video. The people in one video seem full of life and have had some sort of change in their lives. They might not sound as smart or intelligent as the first but they seem happier?

Just from looking from the two videos one appears to have happiness and the other seems to just be depressing. I could barley get through the first video even listening too it in the background and I was able to listen to the second one much easier and was happier at the of it then I was from the first video.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 06:19 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

This is an unbelievably stupid statement.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 06:19 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is an unbelievably stupid statement.

Since when was it stupid to express how you feel, was I critiquing your statements?

Old Post May 8th, 2014 06:22 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Since when was it stupid to express how you feel, was I critiquing your statements?

No, but you're welcome to. I can handle it.

It's not stupid to express how you feel. It's stupid to conflate an entire philosophy with a subjective interpretation of the inner workings of four people having a brief conversation. It's also stupid and counterproductive to create a "this vs. that" mentality where it's not needed.

Last edited by Digi on May 8th, 2014 at 06:33 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2014 06:28 PM
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

The two different videos show the difference in beliefs but its more then beliefs, the men appear to be really smart and intelligent but it lacks any sort of life changing stories of how a belief in God changed a life.

Was anything said in that video going to help someone get off drugs, change their life, change the way they live. Does it give them any hope of a better life?

Old Post May 8th, 2014 06:34 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

The two different videos show the difference in beliefs but its more then beliefs, the men appear to be really smart and intelligent but it lacks any sort of life changing stories of how a belief in God changed a life.

Was anything said in that video going to help someone get off drugs, change their life, change the way they live. Does it give them any hope of a better life?

I see that both sides can help and hinder.

Help:
Understanding drug addiction in a very clear scientific way can lead to better treatment for drug addicts. While the addict's belief in a supreme being can help that person get through the worst parts of recovery.

Hinder:
The rejection of the unprovable can lead to a type of scientific tunnel vision that can discourage out of the box thinking. While self delusion can lead to another type of tunnel vision that can make a person ignore the truth right in front of their eyes.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 07:10 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

No, but you're welcome to. I can handle it.

It's not stupid to express how you feel. It's stupid to conflate an entire philosophy with a subjective interpretation of the inner workings of four people having a brief conversation. It's also stupid and counterproductive to create a "this vs. that" mentality where it's not needed.

New KMC drinking game: Every time 'conflate' is appropriately used, take a drink.

Old Post May 8th, 2014 07:19 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

And one video should do all of that? Even when it's not the goal of the video to provide it? I'm pretty sure there are people better qualified to give such advice than evolutionary biologists and philosophers.

Anyway, the Christian video doesn't give me practical advice on picking a graduate school. What the hell is it good for? Actually, neither of them do, and it's some life help I could really use. So what's the use of Evangelism OR Atheism?

Grasp the point of that last paragraph or I'm done responding to you.

New KMC drinking game: Every time 'conflate' is appropriately used, take a drink.

Ha. It's a good word.

Last edited by Digi on May 8th, 2014 at 07:27 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2014 07:24 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

On top of, do a line every time buffalo is used correctly.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on May 8th, 2014 at 08:00 PM

Old Post May 8th, 2014 07:58 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
On top of, do a line every time buffalo is used correctly.

Are you buffaloing me?

Old Post May 8th, 2014 08:08 PM