KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » So what's your story?

So what's your story?
Started by: SamZED

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SamZED

So what's your story?

That moment when you sat down, thought about it and finally said "You know.. I think religion is a load of crap". Share your stories.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 07:56 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

There was no one moment, it was a series of half-lapses interrupted by periods of religious terror that steadily gave way to comfortable atheism. I think by the time I was in community college I was atheist.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 09:00 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I didn't have a moment, I don't think I ever really believed in God or gods.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 09:02 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Germans and their government subsidized abortions and mandatory gay marriages don't count.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 09:05 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: So what's your story?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SamZED
That moment when you sat down, thought about it and finally said "You know.. I think religion is a load of crap". Share your stories.

It sounds like you asking about a religious moment. Kind of like being born again. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 09:26 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: So what's your story?

Originally posted by SamZED

Was very young, probably under 14 years old when I decided religion was man-made nonsense.

Belief in God/greater being though, I still believe there is something greater than us.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 28th, 2014 11:27 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I would be skeptical of anyone who claims a "moment" did it for them with any kind of religious belief. Any religious belief that can be decided upon in a moment is, at best, uncritically analyzed to see if it holds up to scrutiny. And, at worst, incredibly shallow and reactionary. And that's even if the final explanation or rationale is simple.

Anyway, I started doubting individual aspects of my Christianity somewhere during college. It was all fairly independent, not due to a particular person or text. I don't even remember where or when it started. But that led to research, which led to further doubts and research, and it was a period of years that took me through dozens of texts and resources for various points of view. Much of it was a stripping away of magical thinking of one sort or another, or discovering that religious beliefs can either be debunked or that they lack sufficient evidence to be maintained rationally. After briefly flirting with Taoism - before realizing that the parts of it I could agree with were those that could comfortably be referred to as philosophy - I somewhat grudgingly adopted atheism. I say grudgingly due to the cultural stigma, not because it doesn't accurately describe my position toward God/gods (it does). A longer explanation of my journey and reasoning can be found here.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 12:14 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Digi
I would be skeptical of anyone who claims a "moment" did it for them with any kind of religious belief. Any religious belief that can be decided upon in a moment is, at best, uncritically analyzed to see if it holds up to scrutiny. And, at worst, incredibly shallow and reactionary. And that's even if the final explanation or rationale is simple...

thumb up

It took me years of study and thought to first abandon Christianity, and then discover Buddhism. It was a journey, not a moment.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 12:35 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AbnormalButSane
Screw up

Well, when I was sixteen I went off to school, and I wasn't forced to go to church every Wednesday and Sunday. So at the time, I remember thinking "What's the point in believing in a god?" I just didn't care either way. I didn't really actively think about it.

Then in my twenties, I went through a period of serious depression and tried to find some comfort in religion, but I found it made me feel worse than better.

So I just decided that I would rather believe in no god than a god that clearly doesn't care about this universe or the beings in it.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 12:47 AM
AbnormalButSane is currently offline Click here to Send AbnormalButSane a Private Message Find more posts by AbnormalButSane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
thumb up

It took me years of study and thought to first abandon Christianity, and then discover Buddhism. It was a journey, not a moment.

Your particular sect of Buddhism seems abnormally rational in its approach, even for an overarching religion (Buddhism in general) that tends to eschew blind faith as a valid reason.

When I was a devout Catholic, fully embedded in the Church, I prided myself on believing what I did because it made sense to me. It took me a long time to realize many others didn't approach it that way. I don't know if it was learned or innate, but apparently I don't have the capacity or tendency toward faith like many do.

Originally posted by AbnormalButSane
Well, when I was sixteen I went off to school, and I wasn't forced to go to church every Wednesday and Sunday. So at the time, I remember thinking "What's the point in believing in a god?" I just didn't care either way. I didn't really actively think about it.

Then in my twenties, I went through a period of serious depression and tried to find some comfort in religion, but I found it made me feel worse than better.

So I just decided that I would rather believe in no god than a god that clearly doesn't care about this universe or the beings in it.

Heh. Well, I tend to agree with your conclusion. Perhaps not the rationale, but for the most part it's about what works best for you, so long as it's not actively harming others. So...cool. thumb up

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 01:00 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Your particular sect of Buddhism seems abnormally rational in its approach, even for an overarching religion (Buddhism in general) that tends to eschew blind faith as a valid reason...

And your particularize form of Atheism isn't as dogmatically ignorant as most.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 01:53 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

And your particularize form of Atheism isn't as dogmatically ignorant as most.

Ha. Thanks, I think. I'm not sure there's a practical difference, though. If someone's going to be upset at stubborn, dogmatic atheism, they're equally as likely to be upset when I listen to them and consider their points, then wholeheartedly disagree with them. I certainly feel better, though, knowing I can at least engage the most popular defenses of theism.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:00 AM
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

i was raised loosely catholic. got baptized, took communion and all that, but didn't really go to church much besides that and never really cared for it anyway. i believed in god and the devil and all that shit cause adults said it was true. besides that, my religion was just a cultural label. never knew a damn thing about the bible. my family didn't really focus on that shit too much. it was like an accessory.

when i was a freshman in high school i took a bible study class as an elective cause i signed up way too late and all the good shit was taken. we read the first couple of chapters of the bible and i couldn't believe what an amazing book it really was. i always assumed it would be some boring shit like a bunch of sage wisdom and nice stories of nice people doing nice things for eachother. i had no idea how much carnage, hellfire and sex there was. i'm not gonna lie, that class was great. but i do remember thinking the stories sounded pretty fake.

not long after that i discovered online that it was an option not to believe in all this shit. i mean it's always an option but i never really thought about it... anytime anyone said 'atheist' they made it seem like devil worship so i avoided it. until i went online and found out it was no big deal.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:06 AM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Ha. Thanks, I think. I'm not sure there's a practical difference, though. If someone's going to be upset at stubborn, dogmatic atheism, they're equally as likely to be upset when I listen to them and consider their points, then wholeheartedly disagree with them. I certainly feel better, though, knowing I can at least engage the most popular defenses of theism.

When you wrote "Ha. Thanks, I think." I was relieved to see that you had gotten my meaning, but now I am not sure. Let me explain, above you gave me a left handed complement, so I gave you one back. It was just for fun. No need to defend your beliefs.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:13 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

When you wrote "Ha. Thanks, I think." I was relieved to see that you had gotten my meaning, but now I am not sure. Let me explain, above you gave me a left handed complement, so I gave you one back. It was just for fun. No need to defend your beliefs.

Ah, ok. I understood. I just have a bad tendency to over-explain.

So, thanks...I think.

wink

Originally posted by red g jacks
anytime anyone said 'atheist' they made it seem like devil worship so i avoided it. until i went online and found out it was no big deal.

I never quite understood this either. I feel like the biggest thing we could possibly do for worldwide atheist acceptance would be to distribute a wikipedia definition of atheism to every person. I literally had to tell my own mother "I don't believe any crazy stuff" when I had the talk with her. The relief on her face was palpable.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:19 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

My mom is Catholic and my dad is Muslim, so I started questioning religion at an early age. It was when I went to Catholic school that I started distancing myself, although it wasn't until around 2012 when all those crazy GOP nutbags were spouting their religious crap that I comfortably became agnostic.

As I stated before, I do wholeheartedly believe and pray to God, I just do not believe the Abrahamic version is the correct one due to it's discriminatory dogmas, obvious scientific inaccuracies, and obsolete myths.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:25 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I do not care.

I never really cared. I said I did, but no, not really.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:28 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

I realized it was crap at 6 years old, when my mom told me non-christians go to hell for eternity. Didn't seem right to me.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 02:31 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Lestov16
As I stated before, I do wholeheartedly believe and pray to God, I just do not believe the Abrahamic version is the correct one due to it's discriminatory dogmas, obvious scientific inaccuracies, and obsolete myths.

I like this. It's such a clear, uncompromising opinion, and summarizes a lot of common problems with Christianity.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 04:19 AM
dadudemon

I was 11. I was at the public library reading an astrophysics book about black body radiation. Not sure why but something about hawking radiation and how it was described in that book gave me an epiphany and I was convinced that there is a Master Creator behind everything. That's when I decided my career was going to be astrophysics and I set on a long journey to work towards doctorates in it...and then, 2.5 years into a general physics degree, I abandoned it: astrophysicists get paid horribly.

no expression

At this point, you're probably thinking that I will say that I had another epiphany where I abandoned any theistic beliefs but I didn't. Still the same. smile

I think there is a God out there and based on my tautological argument, this being needs to be benevolent. I've settled with Mormonism being the closest and most logical idea of how this stuff should work.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2014 04:44 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote