KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is Christmas still a religious holiday?

Is Christmas still a religious holiday?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Is Christmas still a religious holiday?

Or is it beyond that now?
I know people of many different religions that celebrate it as a feel good trade presents excuse to have parties time of year.
To me it seems like easter now. I dont personally know anyone that considers it a religious holiday.

Any feedback and all that...

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 07:00 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Christmas is a religious holiday for many people, and non-religious for many others. And that's fine.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 07:06 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Totally fine.
Just wondering how many those many are, compared to the others category...

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 07:23 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

Christmas is misinterpreted always...

the spirit of Christmas is PEACE... when Christ was born, it denotes peace:

"And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among men with whom he is pleased!"
Luke 2:13-14

but in the Bible, the death and sacrifice of Christ is more heavily emphasized compared to His birth... because the ultimate peace and salvation of the people was realized after the death of Christ...

"And they sang a new song, saying: You are worthy to take the scroll, And to open its seals; For You were slain, And have redeemed us to God by Your blood Out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation,"
Revelation 5:9

peace is more related to Pax (Latin), Pascua (Spanish), Pasko (Filipino).... i.e. Passover... smile

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 07:34 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Highlight different parts of what you pasted and it becomes about God and Jesus.
But i take your meaning.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 07:37 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I'm wondering, how long before Christmas commercials precede back-to-school ads? Here in NYC, I've already seen them neck-n-neck with Halloween commercials.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 11:10 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Ha, i think thats everywhere!
I've lived in several states and seen the same thing in each one...

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 11:25 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It didn't start off as a Christian holiday. It's about time that the Pagans got their holiday back. BTW Jesus was not born in December.

Old Post Oct 2nd, 2014 04:58 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It didn't start off as a Christian holiday. It's about time that the Pagans got their holiday back. BTW Jesus was not born in December.

very true on that... thumb up

because in the Bible, it was never stated the exact date of Jesus' birth...

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2014 01:00 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by dyajeep
very true on that... thumb up

because in the Bible, it was never stated the exact date of Jesus' birth...

However, the sheep where in the fields. That gives us an idea of around spring and summer.

To be serious, I don't mind Christmas as the birthday of Jesus.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2014 01:50 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

"Ha, the ships in the fields."

Zorro the Gay Blade.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2014 02:21 AM
dyajeep

However, the sheep where in the fields. That gives us an idea of around spring and summer.

thumb up

To be serious, I don't mind Christmas as the birthday of Jesus.

i do... it's a date celebrated by pagans...

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2014 03:32 AM
riv6672

As a Pagan, i dont mind.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2014 01:32 PM
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

yes and no. if you really think the christian aspects have disappeared you should take a journey to the south, or to (i'm guessing) any other country/backwoods portion of america.

i celebrate christmas with my family cause that's tradition. for them some of it has religious significance.. for me it doesn't. but the traditions have been paganized to such an extent that i can easily partake without ever having to feign any sort of religious conviction... and just let those who want to express their convictions do so.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 02:46 AM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Good deal.

I know it certainly isnt Hyped as religious commercially. The advertising is fairly generic, with happy holidays instead of merry christmas leading the charge...

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 06:05 AM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Public celebration of Christmas is banned in most Arab countries.

So technically they still view it as a religious holiday that helps propagate Christianity.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Oct 4th, 2014 06:43 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote