KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is it hypocritical to not believe in God...

Is it hypocritical to not believe in God...
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

...yet still spend money? In the US at least.
That whole "in god we trust" thing.
Is it a matter of people not caring enough about their non belief? A convenient overlooking of something that'd make life impossible to live in the US?
What's everyone's take on this?

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 12:42 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AbnormalButSane
Screw up

No, what's hypocritical is that we have "In god we trust" on our money whilst claiming that there is a separation between church and state.

Also, a lot of people spend money with debit cards these days. So there is a way around that, if you really cared....

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 01:07 PM
AbnormalButSane is currently offline Click here to Send AbnormalButSane a Private Message Find more posts by AbnormalButSane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Its still money you're spending, though, in the end.

And really, i'm not denying (or focusing on) the govt's hypocrisy, just asking as to the level of hypocrisy/commitment, and/or lack thereof, of athiests.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 01:30 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

If we are going yo use those standards, then it will be hypocritical for anyone with a religion that does not belive in a Christian God to.use the money.

Or for anyone with a religion to use Facebook as it's creator has publicly said he is an Atheist.

In other words, it will be silly to pay attention to those small details. IMO

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 02:24 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AbnormalButSane
No, what's hypocritical is that we have "In god we trust" on our money whilst claiming that there is a separation between church and state.

The purpose of the separation between church and state is to prevent the government from justifying decisions through religion; not to change any non-secular slogan that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 02:31 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

To your overall post: Silly and hypocritical arent mutually exclusive.

I pointed out atheists because they believe in no god, as opposed to religions that believe in different gods. This thread has only gotten two responses, but they've both been rather deflective.

Its really a yes or no answer, with caveats afterwards. Not caveats with no real answer.

Edit:
The above doesnt include Astner; we posted simultaneously.

Last edited by riv6672 on Oct 13th, 2014 at 02:35 PM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 02:32 PM
riv6672

My bad, Abnormal actually did say no.
Its just the caveat itself tried deflecting things onto the govt.stick out tongue

Last edited by riv6672 on Oct 13th, 2014 at 02:46 PM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 02:43 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Hypocritical? I say thee, nay. However, I do find it amusing (revealing?) that we put "God" on our money.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 02:53 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by riv6672
I pointed out atheists because they believe in no god, as opposed to religions that believe in different gods.

Actually there are plenty of atheistic religions. Buddhism and Jainism both specifically reject the notion of a creator or governing deities while presenting other supernatural aspects.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 02:53 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

There are things that cannot be answered with a simple "yes or no" a black and white mentality forgets all the shades in between.

And I don't think an atheist will pay attention to such a minimal thing.

He might as well just look at the money and think "Poor fools"

As far as I remember Atheist do not try to shove their believes down people's throats (Well maybe the extremist ones do)

They might want a separation between church and state, and it will be logical to ask for the print on the money to change, but it will be illogical to starve to death just because they "can't" use money that says "in God We trust" when that is the only currency available in this economy.

Now IF the goverment will be kind enough to print an OPTIONAL currency that NOT says "in God We trust", then it could be consider hypocritical, also depending on how much currency is in circulation for the Atheist to use. But for an Atheist to demand an alternative currency to appease Atheist only it will be Illogical. IMO

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 02:54 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
illadelph
aka Rakim Illa

I'm an Atheist.

I don't find it hypocritical to use money because it's the means of commerce and trade in this society. A slogan referring to a fictional character being present on the currency doesn't matter. The currency's purpose does. It's akin to me choosing not to eat McDonald's because I don't have any reason to believe in the supernatural and using that as a rationale to not eat their food because Ronald McDonald purports himself to be a magical clown. If I'm hungry and I need breakfast I'm gonna grab a McMuffin. It doesn't mean I believe in or advocate a magic clown that breakdances and talks to dancing French Fries.

PSN: Illadelph12Prime, Haksaw_Jim_Thugn - Tumblr: Mighty-Illactus
>Z<

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 03:04 PM
illadelph is currently offline Click here to Send illadelph a Private Message Find more posts by illadelph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

Originally posted by Mindship
Hypocritical? I say thee, nay. However, I do find it amusing (revealing?) that we put "God" on our money.

thumb up

Originally posted by MF DELPH
I'm an Atheist.

I don't find it hypocritical to use money because it's the means of commerce and trade in this society. A slogan referring to a fictional character being present on the currency doesn't matter. The currency's purpose does. It's akin to me choosing not to eat McDonald's because I don't have any reason to believe in the supernatural and using that as a rationale to not eat their food because Ronald McDonald purports himself to be a magical clown. If I'm hungry and I need breakfast I'm gonna grab a McMuffin. It doesn't mean I believe in or advocate a magic clown that breakdances and talks to dancing French Fries.

thumb up

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 03:14 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

No, to the OP. For details, see what Delph said.

Riv, what would the alternative be? To spending money, that is. Like, what do you propose people do if they're against it? It seems like a silly question to ask, because the choices are literally "deal with it" or "starve and be poor."

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 04:38 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't think it's hypocritical by any means for an atheist to use currency that has "In God we trust" printed on it. I mean, living in a society without using the money of said society would seem to unnecessarily complicate your life and would make it much harder to survive. Though, there are ways around it , of course. You could just use credit cards or checks for all your purchases. But then, you'd still have to to deposit some of that money into the bank in order to use them. At least you wouldn't have to walk around with it though.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 04:53 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

edited...

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Oct 13th, 2014 at 05:10 PM

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 04:56 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Star428
I don't think it's hypocritical by any means for an atheist to use currency that has "In God we trust" printed on it. I mean, living in a society without using the money of said society would seem to unnecessarily complicate your life and would make it much harder to survive. Though, there are ways around it , of course. You could just use credit cards or checks for all your purchases. But then, you'd still have to to deposit some of that money into the bank in order to use them. At least you wouldn't have to walk around with it though.

This isn't a true workaround, though, because even credit cards are just representations of that currency. You HAVE to use money in some form. The only thing this would do would be to keep it out of your wallet and in a bank account. But it wouldn't actually change anything. And there are some things that require cash, even in today's world, so if you had any kind of social life, you're still not avoiding the physical money.

Obviously it's not hypocritical, so agreed there. And I don't know a single atheist who's ever really thought about it at length. I'm just truly curious if Riv sees an alternative.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 04:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Edited... nevermind.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 05:18 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by riv6672
...yet still spend money? In the US at least.
That whole "in god we trust" thing.
Is it a matter of people not caring enough about their non belief? A convenient overlooking of something that'd make life impossible to live in the US?
What's everyone's take on this?

I don't understand how that could possibly be hypocritical.
Originally posted by Astner
The purpose of the separation between church and state is to prevent the government from justifying decisions through religion; not to change any non-secular slogan that makes you feel uncomfortable.

It is a government sanctioned religious slogan. And that's exactly what the separation of church and state should stop, government endorsement or persecution of Religion.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 05:23 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Bardock42
It is a government sanctioned religious slogan. And that's exactly what the separation of church and state should stop,

Why?

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 05:29 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Astner
Why?

Are you asking me whether I think that the separation of church is a valuable rule? Or do you not understand why printing "In God We Trust" on the only form of government sanctioned currency violates the rule?

Old Post Oct 13th, 2014 05:41 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote