KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » christianity symbolism

christianity symbolism
Started by: Genesis-Soldier

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

christianity symbolism

so after a debate with a friend of mine we discussed if a cross is a "correct" symbol of christianity.

he argued that using the monument you were nailed to as a symbol of your beliefs is pushing it a bit

(not sure if this has been done or not)

Old Post Oct 27th, 2014 03:06 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I always thought it was strange to use an execution device as a religious symbol.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2014 03:17 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I see no issue with it, nor did I when I was religious. It's perhaps the most recognizable symbol in all of religion. And it represents suffering for the sake of Mankind. It would only be a negative symbol if there weren't the salvation part as a result.

It also explains historical fetishism with religious martyrdom. It's easier to justify the sh*t life throws at you if part of your religious belief includes the idea that suffering nobly brings salvation and piety.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2014 03:43 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
I see no issue with it, nor did I when I was religious. It's perhaps the most recognizable symbol in all of religion. And it represents suffering for the sake of Mankind. It would only be a negative symbol if there weren't the salvation part as a result.

It also explains historical fetishism with religious martyrdom. It's easier to justify the sh*t life throws at you if part of your religious belief includes the idea that suffering nobly brings salvation and piety.

the most recognisable symbol? perhaps in the western civilisation

although i quite agree with the idea of suffering in religion to deal with pain and torment

Old Post Oct 27th, 2014 11:07 PM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
the most recognisable symbol? perhaps in the western civilisation

What symbol would trump it? I'm curious.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 04:15 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Digi
What symbol would trump it? I'm curious.

Lamb, dove, anchor, the fish symbol on cars (forget the proper name), have all been used.

Symbols are just that though. Its the belief you put in them.
-shrug-

Look at the swastika. Hitler adopting it as a symbol for the third reich forever tainted it, even though before then it had been used by religions all over the world since days of old and such. Its actually called a gammodian cross in some circles.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 04:41 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by riv6672
Lamb, dove, anchor, the fish symbol on cars (forget the proper name), have all been used.

None of those are more used/recongized then the cross through, which is what Digi is asking.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 04:49 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Well then we'll go with your answer.

Oh wait.

stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 04:50 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I don't think any religious symbol is.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 04:54 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I know, i was busting on you.
The cross wasnt the first symbol but its the most well known.
It has that Superman aura going for it. Or is it the other way around? Cant recall which came first...

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 05:02 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Symbols are just that though. Its the belief you put in them.
-shrug-

Agreed. But yeah, this:

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
None of those are more used/recongized then the cross through, which is what Digi is asking.

I'm pretty sure the cross is the most ubiquitous religious symbol in the world. And to say it's barbaric or odd to use is to ignore the actual symbolic meaning behind it, a meaning that literally billions of people share.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 05:09 AM
riv6672

In regards to its barbarity, its in line with the religion as a whole. They drink blood and eat flesh. They took out the original Sin Cities, stone people left and right...a torture device as the main symbol of the religion isnt so odd.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 05:49 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

In regards to its barbarity, its in line with the religion as a whole. They drink blood and eat flesh. They took out the original Sin Cities, stone people left and right...a torture device as the main symbol of the religion isnt so odd.

thumb up

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 05:55 AM
riv6672

Thanks.
I always find it funny how the religion is portrayed as fluffy goodness. It was a tough religion for a tough world.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 06:01 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

1. Christian Cross
2. Red Cross
3. Superman "S" shield

The three most widely recognized symbols in the world.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2014 12:24 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

i would have thought the star of david or the tibetan OM symbol would have been the oldest and most recognised

or the nazi swastika (and budda's form of it, the original)

Old Post Oct 29th, 2014 01:17 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Attachment: religous-symbols.jpg
This has been downloaded 28 time(s).

Old Post Oct 29th, 2014 02:16 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

I saw Shaky at church today, you could say I was shocked.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2014 04:22 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Time Immemorial
I saw Shaky at church today, you could say I was shocked.

Really?! What was I doing? Did I talk to anyone? Did I embarrass myself? And why would I be at church on a Tuesday? stick out tongue

Old Post Oct 29th, 2014 04:27 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The top ten Religious symbols:

http://www.spellbrand.com/top-10-religious-symbols

Good stuff.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2014 06:04 AM