KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » God's omnipotence

God's omnipotence
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

God's omnipotence

I posted in the Christianity Symbolism thread yesterday about an early church experience.
Got me thinking of God's omnipotence. Googled away, and found a, to me, perfectly valid argument as to why he's not.

He cant please everybody.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 03:33 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

How is he going to please you if you never give him any directions, c'mon!

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 03:40 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^Haha

Well, we're always tell him to damn things.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 03:41 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: God's omnipotence

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
I posted in the Christianity Symbolism thread yesterday about an early church experience.
Got me thinking of God's omnipotence. Googled away, and found a, to me, perfectly valid argument as to why he's not.

He cant please everybody.

Any god that is a "he" or "she" is not going to be omnipotent in the first place.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 03:52 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

How you know? You arent omnipotent.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 04:03 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

How you know? You arent omnipotent.

And I'm also a "he". The two go together.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 04:11 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So you say. You arent omnipotent.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 04:17 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

"God is not your personal genie."
-- Doug Heffernan

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 04:34 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Haha, i remember that episode.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 04:46 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

So you say. You arent omnipotent.

Yes, I am not omnipotent, and I am a he. Don't you see how the two go together?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 05:04 PM
riv6672

How would i know i'm not omnipotent.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 05:20 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

How would i know i'm not omnipotent.

You don't need to be omnipotent to see the connection. "He" is a personification where as the concept of omnipotence is not. Therefore "he" cannot make a rock that "he" cannot lift, because you are mixing a personification with omnipotence. That doesn't take omnipotence to understand.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 05:41 PM
riv6672

It doesnt take onnipotence to fixate on one word in someone's post and try and sound smart either. stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 06:38 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It doesnt take onnipotence to fixate on one word in someone's post and try and sound smart either. stick out tongue

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. If you are just going to be hostel and not really want to talk to other people, then why make a thread in the first place?

The idea of an omnipotent being is incomparable with calling that being a "he". It leads to silly questions like "Can god create a rock that he cannot lift?". The reason that question is silly is because we are not talking about an omnipotent god, but instead an omnipotent personification.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 06:59 PM
riv6672

I guess i cant make everyone happy. wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 07:29 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I guess i cant make everyone happy. wink

Why would God what to make anyone happy?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 07:39 PM
riv6672

Oh puh-lease, i'm not God. At most a minor deity. laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 07:44 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Oh puh-lease, i'm not God. At most a minor deity. laughing out loud

Your idea was that because God cannot make everyone happy, therefore he is not omnipotent.

Is that correct?

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 07:47 PM
riv6672

It wasnt my idea.
I also said it was, to me, a perfectly valid argument.

I can think an argument is perfectly valid and not agree with it. I never made my actual opinion on the argument known.
So basically, stop putting words in my mouth yo. wink

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 07:55 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

It wasnt my idea.
I also said it was, to me, a perfectly valid argument.

I can think an argument is perfectly valid and not agree with it. I never made my actual opinion on the argument known.
So basically, stop putting words in my mouth yo. wink

I just asked you a question. A question in no way ever putting words into persons mouth.

It is a very silly argument. It assumes sense everyone is not happy, that an omnipotent God cannot be omnipotent.

What if God doesn't want everyone happy? Now the argument falls apart.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2014 08:02 PM