KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Defining yourself

Defining yourself
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Defining yourself

From most to least important....

religion-ex: i have strong (insert religion) values
nationality-ex: proud to be an (insert country)an
ethnicity-ex: never forget i am (insert race)
your job-ex: i am a (insert occupation)
Gender-ex: man, woman
Political views-ex: democrat, republican
physicality-ex: jock, runner, weight lifter
Sexual orientation-ex: straight, gay, asexual
Intelligence-ex: i am a (insert institution) graduate
Humor-ex: the funny/grumpy person

There are a million other ways to define yourself, but i chose the above. Interested to see where religion falls on everyone's list.
And honestly, curious to see who is the first to ignore the OP and go on a tangent about something not on the list.

My list:
Job
Sexual orientation
Physicality
Humor
Intelligence/religion
Ethnicity/political views

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:22 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

mine:

faith/religion - something i hold very dear
job/career - for my family
humor - happiness!

* these three are interchangeable, actually... but definitely my top 3...

others are of lesser importance to me and what i think of others as well... i mean, i don't care if you're gay or lesbian - i see you as a person and be glad to be your friend... don't care about your race/ethnicity/nationality, same as above... definitely don't care about anyone's political views not unless you approve nuclear warfare, lol...

i do engage in forum debates in local forums speaking in vernacular or english, but that's it, only in forums so there would be no altercations (zealous people often tends to hurt other people because of religion, proving that their religious affiliation is false)...

Old Post Nov 8th, 2014 09:57 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thats pretty good.
Thanks for taking the plunge on this one!

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 11:28 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Defining yourself

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672

There are a million other ways to define yourself, but i chose the above. Interested to see where religion falls on everyone's list.
And honestly, curious to see who is the first to ignore the OP and go on a tangent about something not on the list.

My list:
Job
Sexual orientation
Physicality
Humor
Intelligence/religion

I'm not sure I could list these with any certainty, but it's a cool thought experiment.

Nationality means next to nothing to me, beyond a general gratitude that I live in a civilized, industrialized, modern nation. USA as opposed to several other countries does nothing for me, though. Same with gender. Like, I'm happy to be a man, but it's not a source of identity, per se. Same with being straight.

I guess the common thread among all of these is that, too often, identity through one of them includes an aversion to anything that is "other." The most patriotic people tend to be the most xenophobic. The most stereotypically heterosexual, or those who take the most pride in it, tend to be discriminatory toward LGBT. Those who identify strongly with a particular ethnicity tend to be very insular in their experiences and views. Not always, of course. But more so than those who don't identify as strongly with those things.

Much as it may seem odd to many who know me on these forums, my atheism isn't a strong identifier either. Unless we count the compassionate humanism that's a part of most secular worldviews as atheism. They aren't the same thing, and atheism is just a non-belief that, at this point, has very little influence in my daily life. It would be like saying the fact that I don't attend sporting events is how I identify myself. Sports fanatics can identify through sports a lot of times, but very few who aren't sports fans identify as "not a sports fan." It's just off their radar.

So, of your list, only intelligence and humor got me semi-hard. I'd have to think for a while to form an actual list, since most of that is much further down a hypothetical list.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 08:57 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I agree with

I guess the common thread among all of these is that, too often, identity through one of them includes an aversion to anything that is "other."

Not too many people see it that way, though.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 09:44 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

It's the kind of statement that would get you mountains of hate mail if you gave it in a public setting. But yeah, nationalism is probably the best example, because there's a depressingly large contingent in America to whom patriotism is just a guise for xenophobia and hatred. Whether overtly stated or implied, "America is great" actually means "American is better." The first is fine; the latter is an unsupported, emotionally driven denigration of others.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 09:53 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

As a very patriotic person, i have NO problem agreeing with you 100%.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 11:07 PM
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

don't care about nationalism tbh other than basically i feel like we're on a ship together so we have to work towards whats in our interests. but its not like i'm proud to be born in a specific country. i'm just glad i was born in one of the rich ones.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 11:23 PM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

How about the other choices? Specifically religion?

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 11:29 PM
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

alright so if i had to pick an order from your categories it would basically look like this (arranged in order from most important to least important)

humor/political views/philosophical views/religious views has more to do with your thoughts on the world so it speaks more to your identity than anything else imo. i'm keeping all of these together cause to me they are all a part of the same system which makes up your basic personality.

gender: yea being a dude does shape the way i look at a lot of shit too.

job: determines how much fun i can have because it also determines how much money i have.

race: yea it does have an impact culturally but it's not something i'm really attached to tbh. i like exploring other cultures a bit too cause i get bored with my own after a while.

physicality: i like to look good but i am not dedicated enough to be an athlete or anything like that.

sexual orientation: means little to nothing to me other than defining who i'd like to ****.

nationality: don't care about nationalism tbh other than basically i feel like we're on a ship together so we have to work towards whats in our interests. but its not like i'm proud to be born in a specific country. i'm just glad i was born in one of the rich ones.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2014 11:45 PM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

As a very patriotic person, i have NO problem agreeing with you 100%.

thumb up

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 12:08 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by Digi
thumb up
big grin

@red g jacks
Excellent reasoning on your listing criteria. You rock!

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 12:18 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

There's a bit of a semantics difference here. A job is more important than many of the things I identify as. But, for a funny example, I'm much more likely to say something like "I'm a swing dancer" than "I'm a marketing & communications professional" when talking about myself. Or "sports fan," "board game enthusiast," "musician," etc. I identify more through hobbies and social connections than things like nationality, gender, job, and religion. But at least with job, you have to concede that it's a necessary foundation, and therefore more important by numerous definitions.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 01:07 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

There's a bit of a semantics difference here. A job is more important than many of the things I identify as. But, for a funny example, I'm much more likely to say something like "I'm a swing dancer" than "I'm a marketing & communications professional" when talking about myself. Or "sports fan," "board game enthusiast," "musician," etc. I identify more through hobbies and social connections than things like nationality, gender, job, and religion. But at least with job, you have to concede that it's a necessary foundation, and therefore more important by numerous definitions.

Same for me. Geometric tolerancing never comes up in casual conversations. wink

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 01:12 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Lol, you sent me to Google with that one.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 01:14 AM
riv6672

Digi, i get what you're saying but, at least with some jobs, my criteria holds true. Firemen, policemen, actors, folks like that.
I can for sure see where being a data input exec at cogswell cogs might not make your definition list.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 01:33 AM
riv6672

To clarify (sorry, was eating), folks with jobs like i listed, as well as politicians, doctor, musician...they might place that job higher up on a list if asked to define themselves like in the OP.

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 01:45 AM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Defining yourself

My list:
Job
Sexual orientation
Physicality
Humor
Intelligence/religion

Nationality/race (too close to choose between the two)
sexual orientation
Religious views (unshakeable belief in God but not a churchgoer or "biblethumper" as some atheists like to call people who constantly quote the bible)
intelligence

Those qualities above are the most important to me and/or what I believe defines me the most in order of most important to lesser importance.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Last edited by Star428 on Nov 11th, 2014 at 02:24 AM

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 02:18 AM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KillaKassara
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm abstemious & tidy, young & vibrant, immaculately kept & stylish, sensuously mesmeric, interminably studious, inherently adept, retentively faultless, and utterly relentless. I have this monumentally staggering intellect rivaled only by my ambition. I'm a profligate and a megalomaniac.

That's my nature, through grace I'd be:

"Compounding these trickster aspects, the Joker ethos is verbally explicated as such by his psychiatrist, who describes his madness as "super-sanity." Where "sanity" previously suggested acquiescence with cultural codes, the addition of "super" implies that this common "sanity" has been replaced by a superior form, in which perception and processing are completely ungoverned and unconstrained"

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 02:30 AM
KillaKassara is currently offline Click here to Send KillaKassara a Private Message Find more posts by KillaKassara Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Re: Re: Defining yourself

Nationality means next to nothing to me, beyond a general gratitude that I live in a civilized, industrialized, modern nation. USA as opposed to several other countries does nothing for me, though.

Pretty much how I feel. I'm glad about where I live because of modern medicine and convenience but that is where it ends. My caring that the nation is doing well is only because I happen to live here, I wouldn't want to be elsewhere simply because my family and friends are here not because of any loyalty to the nation. I just feel no special connection to someone just because they happened to be born within the same borders over who we actually are as people.

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Nov 11th, 2014 02:54 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote