KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » A modern Temple to the Norse Gods

A modern Temple to the Norse Gods
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

A modern Temple to the Norse Gods

Icelanders will soon be able to publicly worship at a shrine to Thor, Odin and Frigg with construction starting this month on the island’s first major temple to the Norse gods since the Viking age.

Worship of the gods in Scandinavia gave way to Christianity around 1,000 years ago but a modern version of Norse paganism has been gaining popularity in Iceland.

"I don’t believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet,” said Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, high priest of Ásatrúarfélagið, an association that promotes faith in the Norse gods.

“We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.”

Membership in Asatruarfelagid has tripled in Iceland in the last decade to 2,400 members last year, out of a total population of 330,000, data from Statistics Iceland showed.

The temple will be circular and will be dug 4 metres (13ft) down into a hill overlooking the Icelandic capital Reykjavik, with a dome on top to let in the sunlight.

“The sun changes with the seasons so we are in a way having the sun paint the space for us,” Hilmarsson said.

The temple will host ceremonies such as weddings and funerals.

The group will also confer names to children and initiate
teenagers, similar to other religious communities.

Iceland’s neo-pagans still celebrate the ancient sacrificial ritual of Blot with music, reading, eating and drinking, but nowadays leave out the slaughter of animals. [/quote]
http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gods-1000-years

As an Asatru, i heartily approve.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2015 12:17 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Do they worship lady Thor?

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2015 02:12 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spawns
Cheeky Bastard

Attachment: image.jpg
This has been downloaded 35 time(s).

Thanks SCRIBS!!!

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2015 03:42 PM
Spawns is currently offline Click here to Send Spawns a Private Message Find more posts by Spawns Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Reflassshh
Do they worship lady Thor?

Who doesnt? wink

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2015 09:09 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by riv6672
Who doesnt? wink

I don't.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 01:31 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Of you dont.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 05:47 AM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Of you dont.

confused

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 06:18 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Course. stick out tongue

Considering my response was a joke, i didnt expect it to be all encompassing.
That said, i'm planning a visit late this year/early next.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 11:39 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: A modern Temple to the Norse Gods

In a gut-reaction sense, this is awesome. In a more serious sense, substituting one bogus mythos for another is...wait, what's this?

"I don’t believe anyone believes in a one-eyed man who is riding about on a horse with eight feet,” said Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, high priest of Ásatrúarfélagið, an association that promotes faith in the Norse gods.

“We see the stories as poetic metaphors and a manifestation of the forces of nature and human psychology.”

Ok, this is just awesome.

thumb up

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 04:48 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

I can't help but smile if Marvel Studios has anything to do with this resurgence. big grin

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 05:03 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by roughrider
I can't help but smile if Marvel Studios has anything to do with this resurgence. big grin

Doubtful. More likely death metal and its variants. That area of the world pumps out metal bands crooning about Norse gods like Hollywood produces needless sequels.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 05:51 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You take that back about Crystal Skull! mad

Old Post Feb 4th, 2015 07:28 PM