KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is believing in luck in any way related to religious belief?

Is believing in luck in any way related to religious belief?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Is believing in luck in any way related to religious belief?

Just asking.
Overhead someone comment that they dont believe in luck like they dont believe in God.
That make any sense?

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 11:39 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Depends what s/he means by "luck" and "God." Offhand, sounds like s/he's placing both in a supernatural category, the latter understandably so, though empirical science does recognize what appears to be random chance. Isn't that what statistical analysis is all about?

No supernatural agency.
No random chance.

What does this person believe in? "Himself?"

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 12:32 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

No idea. The guy's a douche nozzle so i usually avoid lengthy conversations. Sure as heck wasnt going to start one on religion.
Still made me wonder enough to bring it up here, though.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 01:10 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Re: Is believing in luck in any way related to religious belief?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Just asking.
Overhead someone comment that they dont believe in luck like they dont believe in God.
That make any sense?

Depends on who the person is and how they define "God" and how they define "luck". If their definition of "God" is "genie who grants every wish asked of him by people of moral behavior" for instance ...?

At the moment, I'm interested in how they and you define "luck".
That answer could reveal a lot.
More info when you can provide it, please.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 01:34 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Sorry about any confusion...

I'm more interested in how YOU guys define the two.
I believe in God, am Asatru, and believe in luck, with no problems having had dinosaurs walk the earth, to clarify.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 01:43 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I'm more interested in how YOU guys define the two.

Luck: chance.

God: Dreamer/Dream (favorite metaphor).

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 03:06 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So no crossover in your opinion?
The two are mutually exclusive?

(I think i asked that right)

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 03:08 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

So no crossover in your opinion?
The two are mutually exclusive?
No. The Dreamer/Dream is unconditionally infinite. There's room for everything...which may seem paradoxical to us mere mortals.

Put another way: there is nothing, literally Nothing, outside the Dreamer/Dream (ie, nothing outside unconditional infinity).

Last edited by Mindship on Feb 11th, 2015 at 04:36 PM

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 04:33 PM
riv6672

Funky.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 07:27 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Transfunk.

Old Post Feb 11th, 2015 09:20 PM
riv6672

I meant it in a good way, just not feeling overly wordy today. Slight head cold.
I liked your reasoning though...smile

Old Post Feb 12th, 2015 06:53 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

I meant it in a good way, just not feeling overly wordy today. Slight head cold.
Tis the season. I had a bout of bronchitis last month. May your chi rebalance with full vitality.

Old Post Feb 12th, 2015 11:44 AM
riv6672

Wait, you believe in CHI?!?!

-rushes to start new thread-

wink

Old Post Feb 12th, 2015 12:08 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Theres basic chance in life. People can simply be lucky. However, i'm of the school of thought that there is a such thing as fate and destiny. Sometimes people can be so lucky that there is something more than just good fortune occurring for them.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2015 11:23 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I've known folks like that. I envy them.

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2015 05:28 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

As other have said, it just depends. Luck in the colloquial sense is practically self-proving. It's inevitable and obvious. But luck as the result of supernatural agency would be in the same category as God.

Same can be said of words like fate or destiny. It's all in what you mean by it.

The universe is deterministic by all accounts, so anything resembling supernatural uses of the word(s) are unsupported, at best, and ridiculous and misleading at worst. If someone wants to say something is fated in a religious sense, that's their choice. But it's needless magical thinking. It's no more "fated" in a supernatural sense than a pencil is "fated" to hit the floor when you drop it because of gravity. It's all just causality. Calling it anything else, to me, sacrifices clarity.

Last edited by Digi on Mar 2nd, 2015 at 05:37 AM

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2015 05:33 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I believe we live in a deterministic universe, luck is pretty much nonsense as everything is fixed and randomness is just a name for probability we cannot calculate. If there is no randomness there is nothing we can consider luck.

But we could, if in trouble, improvise another more fitting definition of luck (more fitting for a deterministic universe I mean), the idea of an intuition that leads you take good décisions with a minimum of data, consious or unconsious. This kind of reflective instinct, could actually make sense since determinism pretty much abolishes the idea of time as we use it. However, that luck wouldn't be random, it'd be a characteristic of intelligence (choice vs data).

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 2nd, 2015 05:36 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Choice vs data. Subconsciously, you think?

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2015 10:19 AM
Esau Cairn
Contagious

The very first time I bought a scratch lottery ticket, I won $500.
The very first time I played a pokie machine, I won $250.
Never won anything ever again.
I put it down to luck.

Prayed & turned to God many times.
Nada.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2015 11:56 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Choice vs data. Subconsciously, you think?

Again, for luck to have an actual sense it would have to be more than the acummulation of events (as everything is included in such a sequence). I'm just defining luck in relation with talent, one would be conscious and the other one would be instinctive. My point is that for someone to be consistently "lucky" we just need to ignore the reason behind his good choices.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2015 01:05 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote