KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Aethiests and Islam

Aethiests and Islam
Started by: Time Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Aethiests and Islam

Why are atheists more concern about Christianity than Islam?

Old Post May 27th, 2015 12:08 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Re: Aethiests and Islam

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Time Immemorial

Well, they should be concerned about both.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 12:11 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

They really are not though. I know you are, but you are a rare exception and decent person who does not slander himself with hypocrisy.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 12:16 AM
Time Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Most of the Atheists with whom you interact live in majority Christian countries, so they are naturally going to be more concerned about the dominant religion in the country in which they live.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:30 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Aethiests and Islam

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Most of the Atheists with whom you interact live in majority Christian countries, so they are naturally going to be more concerned about the dominant religion in the country in which they live.

Thats an interesting point. However Islam is the fastest growing religion. More and more Mosques enter American streets. I don't see anyone in Atheists community really caring much at all. Could they know something that is really a bigger issue that Islam is actually a false religion, and they don't concern themselves with it, rather focus on the actual threat?

This is an interesting article.

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/11/ at...fighting_about/

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:54 AM
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Technically, I'm an agnostic theist, not an atheist, but I stated in a thread in the religious forum why I think Islam gets a deservedly worst reputation than Christianity regarding human rights, so speaking for myself, I do not hold Christianity "in higher concern". I have spoken out against both religions.

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:58 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

They don't. You need to distinguish "Atheists" from "mainstream Liberals."

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 04:04 AM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Aethiests and Islam

Originally posted by Lestov16
Technically, I'm an agnostic theist, not an atheist, but I stated in a thread in the religious forum why I think Islam gets a deservedly worst reputation than Christianity regarding human rights, so speaking for myself, I do not hold Christianity "in higher concern". I have spoken out against both religions.

Throughout the political arena though, you don't see a acceptance of Islam and a rejection of Christianity?

Old Post May 27th, 2015 04:16 AM
Greatest I am

I do not think they are in the sense that in the West, Christianity is the huge majority religion.

If I wanted to chat with Muslims I would not be able to find many.

I am not an atheist but to Muslims I would be close enough and if they were the predominant religion in my area, the West, then I would be chatting with them more than Christians.

Both religions are homophobic and misogynous and not worthy of modern peoples who have morals.

Regards
DL

Old Post May 27th, 2015 02:10 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

You're kind of twisting the question, though it effectively answers itself.

First, the point is, why should atheists concern themselves with any religion? Most don't- they don't care at all. You give the impression that atheists are all militant religion haters who 'concern' themselves constantly.

So if you then push that to the subset of atheists who to actively get involved with trying to debate and/or combat religion, then Adam PoE answered the question- you re interacting with people where the religion they are by a long way most likely to encounter and identify a need for engagement with is Christianity. If I was a politically active atheist in the US and was lobbying to reduce religious influence on the political system, then what is 99% of that influence? Christian, so I would inevitably engage there. If you lived in, say, Turkey, the atheists there (assuming you met one who cared to engage in such debate at all) would concern themselves primarily with Islam.

So, simple as that. Your idea that there is some sort of acceptance of Islam and not of Christianity is entirely false.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post May 27th, 2015 02:22 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

As far as the US is concerned, it also seems like the religious right has the anti-islam base covered.

Islamophobia is really pretty popular all through the US and Europe.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 02:30 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by Ushgarak

First, the point is, why should atheists concern themselves with any religion? Most don't- they don't care at all. .

If I may.

I am not an atheist but disagree. I think that I and others who fight the mainstream homophobic and misogynous religions do it for altruistic reasons.

I do not mind quoting one of the few words of wisdom in the bible.

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

We try to correct foolish and damaging thinking. We are not so much against religions as we are against literal reading and what that has done to what were initially decent moral religious traditions.

For the evils of religion to grow, read any scripture literally.

Any and all harmless beliefs are allowed by Gnostic Christians. We know that any myth can be internalized for good results and as esoteric ecumenists, we enjoy knowledge of all the myths that man has created about Gods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0...;list=PLCBF574D

When there is a victim is when that view changes. Then you see why Christianity annihilated Gnostic Christianity. We do not let the evils of forced literalism go unopposed. To a tyrant like Constantine, we were poison. One of his first commands to his new Church was to kill off the free thinkers and of course, his new tool, his Church, did as bid. It was quite a ride for free thought for the next 1,000 years.

How can a Gnostic Christian, --- and any other free thinking moral person, --- not judge other's morals when seeing someone hurt other because of the same Church's teachings today?

Can you ignore such things if you have decent morals? Impossible. Especially with Islam pulling the same murderous, freedom stifling ****.

We must discriminate and judge constantly. Every law is a compulsion on all of us to judge.

It is my view that all right wing literalists and fundamentals hurt all of us who are moral religionists, --- as well as those who do not believe. Literalists hurt their parent religions --- and everyone else, be he a believer or not. Literalists and the right wing of religions make us all into laughing stocks. Their God of talking animals, genocidal floods and retribution has got to go. So must beliefs in fantasy, miracles and magic. These are all evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zhlDbMfDg

They also do much harm to their own fellow adherents.

African witches and Jesus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRG9gXriVI

Jesus Camp 1of 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac

Death to Gays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyuKLyGUHNE

For evil to grow my friend, all good people need do is nothing. Fight literalism when you can. It is your duty to our fellow man.

Regards
DL

Old Post May 27th, 2015 02:34 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Disagree with what? Whether they do concern themselves or whether they should? If the former, you are wrong- that's simply the way it is. They do not concern themselves; they just get on with their lives.

If the latter, that seems a rather militant view. There are more constructive ways to progress than constant confrontation.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post May 27th, 2015 02:37 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Disagree with what?

Whether they do concern themselves or whether they should? If the former, you are wrong- that's simply the way it is. They do not concern themselves; they just get on with their lives.

If the latter, that seems a rather militant view. There are more constructive ways to progress than constant confrontation.

I disagree with, --- "Most don't- they don't care at all."

Logically, if they did not care, they would just ignore those they think are fools.

Not all care of course but most have a decent sense of social conscience and do not like to see their fellow man make a fool of himself by losing his common sense and falling into foolish supernatural and superstitious beliefs.

All humans are altruist and to think that atheists are not is quite disingenuous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADgh3yCSdM

Regards
DL

Old Post May 27th, 2015 02:55 PM
Greatest I am

[i]

If the latter, that seems a rather militant view. There are more constructive ways to progress than constant confrontation. [/B]

“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”
Jonathan Swift

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -- Thomas Jefferson

Those two quotes show what many believe.

I linked and showed some of the more immoral Christian activities above.

How would you tell a Christian that gays should not be killed if you were talking to those who helped push that law in Uganda without sounding confrontational?

Regards
DL

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:02 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Greatest I am
I disagree with, --- "Most don't- they don't care at all."

Logically, if they did not care, they would just ignore those they think are fools.

Not all care of course but most have a decent sense of social conscience and do not like to see their fellow man make a fool of himself by losing his common sense and falling into foolish supernatural and superstitious beliefs.

All humans are altruist and to think that atheists are not is quite disingenuous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADgh3yCSdM

Regards
DL

Regardless of what you think of their logic, you are still wrong. Most atheists do not care enough about religion to engage with it in any form. Incidentally, most people do ignore people they think are fools.

This has no connection to the word 'disingenuous' in any shape or form. Most people just aren't militant, and it is absurd to expect them to be.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 27th, 2015 at 03:14 PM

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:12 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Originally posted by Greatest I am
“It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.”
Jonathan Swift

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -- Thomas Jefferson

Those two quotes show what many believe.

I linked and showed some of the more immoral Christian activities above.

How would you tell a Christian that gays should not be killed if you were talking to those who helped push that law in Uganda without sounding confrontational?

Regards
DL

I very much doubt that you being super-confrontational in such an extreme example would help either. You're also just latching onto Christianity as the source of all evil here, whereas this is really much more of a deeply engrained cultural issue in areas with poor human rights records.

In the long-term, simply building decent secular human rights constructions will win out. The world is already better than it was for such efforts.

Yours is dangerously close to the language of the fanatic- which would make you part of the problem.

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on May 27th, 2015 at 03:17 PM

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:13 PM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

I should note that people like Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens are/were harsher on Islam than they are/were on Christianity.

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:27 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Regardless of what you think of their logic, you are still wrong. Most atheists do not care enough about religion to engage with it in any form. Incidentally, most people do ignore people they think are fools.

This has no connection to the word 'disingenuous' in any shape or form. Most people just aren't militant, and it is absurd to expect them to be.

I agree with this last.

Your denigration of atheists I do not agree with.

Regards
DL

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:34 PM
Greatest I am

I very much doubt that you being super-confrontational in such an extreme example would help either. You're also just latching onto Christianity as the source of all evil here, whereas this is really much more of a deeply engrained cultural issue in areas with poor human rights records.

In the long-term, simply building decent secular human rights constructions will win out. The world is already better than it was for such efforts.

Yours is dangerously close to the language of the fanatic- which would make you part of the problem.

You just ran from showing how your methods would work or if they even exist.

Seems we are done.

I was hopping to lose this debate/chat and learn something but you have nothing to teach in terms of a working methodology.

Regards
DL

Old Post May 27th, 2015 03:38 PM