KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is it a sin to seek knowledge?

Is it a sin to seek knowledge?
Started by: Greatest I am

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Greatest I am

Is it a sin to want to open one’s eyes instead of being blind?

Is it a sin to do as scriptures urge us to do?

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Gen 3:2 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

Adam and Eve were doing exactly what we are all told by scriptures to do, yet God seemed quite upset.

Why is seeking knowledge and ignoring a vile command to remain in ignorant bliss wrong or a sin?

Are you sinning when you seek knowledge and becoming more like God?

Regards
DL

Old Post Jun 16th, 2015 12:47 AM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I don't know because I don't want to sin. stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 16th, 2015 12:51 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

the answer to your first three questions is: NO...

why combine two different verses? the passage on Genesis 3:22 was said in the time of Adam while Matthew 5:48 was said by Jesus in His preachings... you condemn literal reading but you are being literal yourself...

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 04:46 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

From what I've gathered Greatest is being literal in his readings on propose because he despises literal readings of the Bible.

I, personally, don't see the value of that general strategy, specially considering the literal readers in this site are a very slim (or at least mostly silent) minority.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 09:47 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

It's not the tree of knowledge it's the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Evil didn't exist prior to the original sin, so man couldn't have know about it.

And God forbade Adam and Eve to eat from the tree, and clarified that they'd die if they did.

And the Book of Mathew does not apply to the garden of Eden.

Old Post Jun 24th, 2015 06:08 PM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Astner
Evil didn't exist prior to the original sin,

No war in heaven then?

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 05:19 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Originally posted by Bentley
No war in heaven then?

The war specified in Revelations will take place at the end-times.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 05:48 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

So technically the state of Lucifer's fall from grace is "it hasn't happened yet"? Does that mean he's still in Heaven and hasn't tried to overcome God? For whatever reason I had that event prior to the creation of men, but I guess that could also work.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 08:58 AM
Stoic
Avenger

A war did happen in Heaven, and still continues this day. Satan was cast from Heaven, and fell to Earth.

Revelation 12:7-12 talks about the casting out of Satan-two times. One was at the beginning when he rebelled in Heaven, just before creation of life on earth, and the second was at Calvary.

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels, And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven. And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Revelation 12:7-9)

This war was in Heaven; two groups against each other-

Michael and the loyal angels on one side, and Satan and his angels on the other side. In this first battle Satan and his sympathizers lost their place in Heaven. They were thrown out from Heaven to earth.

Obviously, this earth was still uninhabited. It was "without form and void and darkness was on the face of the deep" (Genesis 1:2).

God had to throw him out of Heaven into a particular place. As the whole universe is God's, Satan had to be somewhere in God's vast creation. And earth was the place.

And when God created life on planet earth (according to His prior plan and set time), He warned Adam and Eve of this wily foe.

Satan would not have got a hold on this planet had Adam and Eve stood the simplest of test, just once! God then would have cut short the time period of Satan.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 04:39 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Also it is not a sin to seek knowledge, it is what a person does with that knowledge. This is something that should be common knowledge, nor should it be difficult to realize.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 04:42 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Greatest I am

Is it a sin to want to open one’s eyes instead of being blind?

Is it a sin to do as scriptures urge us to do?

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Gen 3:2 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

Adam and Eve were doing exactly what we are all told by scriptures to do, yet God seemed quite upset.

Why is seeking knowledge and ignoring a vile command to remain in ignorant bliss wrong or a sin?

Are you sinning when you seek knowledge and becoming more like God?

Regards
DL

Too much knowledge is evil because it brings into question the authority of the Church.

If people had real knowledge they might invent things like science and discover that the Earth is not flat, and the heavens are not filled with angels.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2015 04:43 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Too much knowledge is evil because it brings into question the authority of the Church.

If people had real knowledge they might invent things like science and discover that the Earth is not flat, and the heavens are not filled with angels.

"It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;"
Isaiah 40:22

Hebrew word chuwg (H2329) means circle, sphere, circuit, compass...

Old Post Jun 27th, 2015 11:52 PM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by dyajeep
the answer to your first three questions is: NO...

why combine two different verses? the passage on Genesis 3:22 was said in the time of Adam while Matthew 5:48 was said by Jesus in His preachings... you condemn literal reading but you are being literal yourself...

Nice deflection.

The issue is knowledge. Not the cherry picking that all your preachers do.

Regards
DL

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2015 03:02 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by Bentley
From what I've gathered Greatest is being literal in his readings on propose because he despises literal readings of the Bible.

I, personally, don't see the value of that general strategy, specially considering the literal readers in this site are a very slim (or at least mostly silent) minority.

Literally read or not, those are the pertinent passages I chose to use.

Should I have just make something up so that Christians could complain about that?

Regards
DL

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2015 03:04 PM
Greatest I am

It's not the tree of knowledge it's the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Evil didn't exist prior to the original sin, so man couldn't have know about it.

And God forbade Adam and Eve to eat from the tree, and clarified that they'd die if they did.

Irrelevant and ignoring the issue says that you cannot justify God's actions in Eden.

Regards
DL

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2015 03:06 PM
Greatest I am

Originally posted by dyajeep
"It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;"
Isaiah 40:22

Hebrew word chuwg (H2329) means circle, sphere, circuit, compass...

True.

The ancients stupidly thought that the stars were attached to a sphere way up in the heavens that rotated around the earth.

Regards
DL

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2015 03:09 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Literally read or not, those are the pertinent passages I chose to use.

Should I have just make something up so that Christians could complain about that?

Regards
DL

Neither is the issue. Let's assume there are pertinent passages because religion is somehow valid, how do we deal with possible interpretations of those texts? For religious people it's a legitimate problem unless they are literalists or follow orthodox rules without thinking.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2015 12:51 PM
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Irrelevant

No it's not.

You went from a very specific piece of knowledge—that couldn't have been know since it didn't exist—to knowledge in general. That's a slippery slope.

On the contrary, the Bible promotes learning an the search for knowledge.

Source.

ignoring the issue says that you cannot justify God's actions in Eden.

What actions? God told Adam and Eve not to eat of the tree or they'd die. They disobeyed and so they did die.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2015 01:23 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It almost makes you wonder why God created a death fruit tree in the Garden of Eden.

Old Post Jul 13th, 2015 11:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Of course not.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2015 02:15 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote