KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Suicide in the bible

Suicide in the bible
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Suicide in the bible

I know Cain and Abel describes the first murder, but is there a reference to the first suicide?
Both killing and killing yourself are sins, so, does suicide have a story or a name attached to it i'm unaware of?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 04:28 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier
god blessed him with a...

no idea but i want to see where this goes

probs just something along the lines of "for only god may decide when to take life" Blah Blah Blah "to take a life or that of your own is not your divine right"

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 06:49 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Is suicide actually a sin in the bible?

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 07:06 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Mindset

It is technically. You sin against your body when you take your own life, although even this sin can be forgiven for those that have been saved. The bible however warns against dying in your sins so there's that as well. The bible is clear though, it clearly makes mention that only the sin of blasphemy is the one unforgivable sin, it also clearly states that besides that particular unforgivable sin that all sins are forgiven to those that love the lord and are saved under the blood of the lamb being Christ.

I don't want my words to be taken out of context, so I want to go a little further in saying that being saved isn't just confessing your sins, and undergoing the baptism of the Saints. A person must also repent of their sins, which is turning their backs on certain aspects of this world like fornication, lying, committing evil deeds for their own gain, etc.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 07:24 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Mindset

I'm not sure, but I do know that it says that suicide is painless. It brings on many changes.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 07:37 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm not sure, but I do know that it says that suicide is painless. It brings on many changes.

suicide is rarely painless

all i got from stoic is wibbley wobbley timey wimey

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 09:10 AM
Genesis-Soldier is currently offline Click here to Send Genesis-Soldier a Private Message Find more posts by Genesis-Soldier Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Thanks, Stoic.
Since there's no suicidal equivalent of Caine, i guess the answer isnt as cut and dried as i'd thought.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 10:02 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Genesis-Soldier

does it need to be the equivelent of cain
or even a old testiment verse for perople to believe god is saying we shouldnt?

like legit

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 10:12 AM
Bardock42

Originally posted by riv6672
I know Cain and Abel describes the first murder, but is there a reference to the first suicide?
Both killing and killing yourself are sins, so, does suicide have a story or a name attached to it i'm unaware of?

I don't know about the first suicide, but the most prominent ones are definitely Samson and Judas, I think.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 12:18 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Huh!
I didnt even realize either had killed themselves. In Judas' case i assumed he'd gotten hung.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 12:21 PM
Bardock42

Samson basically suicide bombed himself to kill a whole bunch of Philistines (breaking the pillars of a large temple with his incredible strength and dying in the process).

For Judas there's multiple conflicting accounts, but the most common one is that he hung himself. To be honest I always thought Judas got a bad rap, like Jesus literally tells him he will betray him...talk about a self fulfilling prophecy.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 12:27 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Stoic
It is technically. You sin against your body when you take your own life

What about in cases where someone is terminally ill and in a lot of pain and so they take their own life?

On that note, what is the stance on euthanasia?

I also wonder about killing being a sin. The commandment says "thou shalt not kill" not "thou shalt not murder". Does this mean that killing someone is a sin no matter what? Even in self defense?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 07:27 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Surtur
What about in cases where someone is terminally ill and in a lot of pain and so they take their own life?

On that note, what is the stance on euthanasia?

I also wonder about killing being a sin. The commandment says "thou shalt not kill" not "thou shalt not murder". Does this mean that killing someone is a sin no matter what? Even in self defense?

It comes down to whether you know right from wrong, and treating others as you would be treated. I mean when you go fishing, you re technically killing to survive, but that was not what the bible meant by Thou shalt not kill. I'm pretty certain that it meant not to commit murder. As for euthanasia? It's a question of conviction. If your convictions are telling you that it is wrong, then it is. If you have no convictions over it then it isn't wrong. Sin begins within our minds, so if you believe that what you are doing is right, your judgement isn't the same as someone who believes the opposite.

Last edited by Stoic on Oct 3rd, 2015 at 09:55 PM

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2015 09:52 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Nothing negative in the bible about it. Samson killed himself and was a hero.

Nothing about maturbation, either. I masturbate constantly and I'm a hero!

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 01:00 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

It comes down to whether you know right from wrong, and treating others as you would be treated. I mean when you go fishing, you re technically killing to survive, but that was not what the bible meant by Thou shalt not kill. I'm pretty certain that it meant not to commit murder. As for euthanasia? It's a question of conviction. If your convictions are telling you that it is wrong, then it is. If you have no convictions over it then it isn't wrong. Sin begins within our minds, so if you believe that what you are doing is right, your judgement isn't the same as someone who believes the opposite.

Thanks for keeping things on track. Appreciate the thought you put in.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 01:33 AM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by long pig
Nothing negative in the bible about it. Samson killed himself and was a hero.

Nothing about maturbation, either. I masturbate constantly and I'm a hero!

laughing out loud

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 01:40 AM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

1 Corinthians 6:19

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 02:49 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by riv6672
Thanks for keeping things on track. Appreciate the thought you put in.

Although I believe in what I wrote is correct, the idea/s did not come from me, or I wasn't the first to say so. I was just trying to give examples of what was stated in the bible. Masturbation is a sin if anyone wanted to know, because you sin against your own flesh. The bible would call it abusing yourself from what I gather. It's one of those sins that apparently allows demons to legally bind themselves to people, because while other sins are done from outside of the temple, masturbation is done directly to the temple. This is one of the many reasons for marriage. So isn't it strange to see so much enmity between the sexes? On the other hand, suicide is most certainly a sin against your temple.

Riv you know what I find really funny? Well if we are unable to sense certain things, or scientifically prove the existence of something, it must not exist. It's kind of funny then that we are unable to see mental illnesses, but we all have them to one extent or the other.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 03:08 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I see, but I thought the church was against stuff like euthanasia.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 03:14 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

Originally posted by Surtur
I see, but I thought the church was against stuff like euthanasia.

They are, but it all really boils down to conviction. You aren't supposed to work on the Sabbath either, but Jesus spoke of reasons why such a law could and should be broken if the need arose.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2015 03:21 AM