KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is life more or less meaningful with religion...

Is life more or less meaningful with religion...
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Is life more or less meaningful with religion...

...in your opinion.

Without religion this is all there is, with, you have a higher power that you attribute certain aspects of your existence to, and an afterlife of course.

Its not that cut and dried of course, but i dont want to write a dissertation for an OP.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 03:41 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

It's meaningless either way.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 03:44 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

You think so?
I'm on the fence, and i say that as a religious person.
The idea that some...thing i have no real way of understanding has control of my fate, and that the way i live my life may not jibe with some arbitrary rules i have no choice in being subject to.

No god is a little simpler, but not by much.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 04:37 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I assume you mean religion and spiritual conviction? Because people without a religion can have beliefs that involve an afterlife and daily rituals that would effectively change how they live.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 04:40 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

It's meaningful either way.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 04:44 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
I assume you mean religion and spiritual conviction?

Yes.
Like i said i didnt want a huge OP, and i'm giving posters enough credit to think they'll know what i'm asking about.
You and Mindset obviously do.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 04:45 AM
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Honestly I believe those who are religious tend to lead more meaningful lives. I'm not sure if this is a trend worldwide but it is what I've observed.

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:14 AM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

I have observed the opposite, but it's hard to quantify of course.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:18 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I suppose this heavily depends on how life is meaningful. Adding religious considérations only expands the material possibilities of decision making and morals, so stricto sensu it has more potential to give meaning.

Of course we have to assume there is such a thing like a material meaning, in the sense that is something that everyone can experience (otherwise the question would be rigged). This should place at least some inmaterial considérations of most religious into a secondary set of interests that can sometimes deflect attention from achieving material meaning, so in many cases religion can be harmful by distraction.

Depending on our definition of material meaning and it's compatibility with diverse religious mindsets some religions could be more harmful, while theoretically they should enrich material existence.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 11:34 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The real answer is it is neither more nor less meaningful. Life is what you make of it. Also stuff having meaning is highly overrated. Some need to believe every single thing has some significance. The fact is not everything does. This is in part why I think the church fought so hard against science at certain points in history.

Originally posted by Bardock42
I have observed the opposite, but it's hard to quantify of course.

I have also observed the opposite. All I know is I went to Catholic school and you could tell the students whose parents were super religious..they just tended to seem a bit more repressed in certain ways. Since the truth is not everyone was super religious that goes to those schools..in terms of the family. A lot of them are just people who go to church twice a year(Christmas, Easter).

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 9th, 2015 at 02:00 PM

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 01:54 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

At least in orthodox judaism, those people appear to be happier than any non religious person i know.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 02:07 PM
psmith81992 is currently offline Click here to Send psmith81992 a Private Message Find more posts by psmith81992 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Appearances can often be deceiving remember. Though they could certainly be quite happy.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 02:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
psmith81992
Restricted

Account Restricted

Oh there's no faking this happiness. I respect not quite understanding it.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 02:23 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Life is no more or less meaningful than you make it, regardless of what gives it that meaning. The premise of this thread is nonsensical at best, and at worst makes some scary presumptions about meaning being derived from something external rather than internal forces.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 03:02 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^so i'm either Groucho Marx or Stephano fro Days of Our Lives. Nooice.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 05:00 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Basically you can indeed use religion to give your life meaning. Though not everyone needs religion in order to do that.

The thing is I don't believe in God, but I do believe in the afterlife.

Originally posted by psmith81992
Oh there's no faking this happiness. I respect not quite understanding it.

You'd be surprised how good people can be at faking things.

Last edited by Surtur on Oct 9th, 2015 at 06:18 PM

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 06:13 PM
riv6672

quote:
You'd be surprised how good people can be at faking things.

Aint that the truth.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 06:38 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Speaking as someone who doesn't believe that after I die I will go to a great place called Heaven and lived amongst deceased loved ones for all eternity, I personally believe I would value life much more than someone who believes in that.

Therefore, I think life is more meaningful without it.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 08:26 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Again, the premise of this thread is false. Because it presumes that external things can imbue life with meaning. Nothing has any intrinsic meaning until someone ascribes meaning to it. Religion doesn't give people meaning. People give religion meaning, and give their lives meaning through religion. But it's no more or less meaningful than any other source of meaning. In simpler terms, the person is the source of meaning.

So there isn't a yes or no answer to the OP that is true in a general sense beyond individual experiences. It isn't more or less meaningful without religion. It's exactly as meaningful as you make it.

And I say this twice now because it's one of the more bizarre falsehoods I see perpetuated about non-religion. That people can't fathom meaning outside of religion doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It only means their experience is limited. Maybe this isn't what Riv is saying, but it's very close to arguments I've heard several times, each as flawed as the next.

Last edited by Digi on Oct 9th, 2015 at 09:48 PM

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 09:42 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Not sure what's got your bloomers in a clinch, guy, but it was just a random question to start a random conversation.
No more than that.
You dont like it, thats cool, but dont herniate yourself over it, jeez! laughing

Old Post Oct 9th, 2015 09:51 PM