KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Religious kids vs Secular kids, who's more moral

Religious kids vs Secular kids, who's more moral
Started by: Van Hohenheim

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Van Hohenheim

Religious kids vs Secular kids, who's more moral

http://www.cell.com/current-biology...9822(15)01167-7

" Highlights
Family religious identification decreases children's altruistic behaviors

Religiousness predicts parent-reported child sensitivity to injustices and empathy

Children from religious households are harsher in their punitive tendencies"

" Here, we assessed altruism and third-party evaluation of scenarios depicting interpersonal harm in 1,170 children aged between 5 and 12 years in six countries (Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey, USA, and South Africa), the religiousness of their household, and parent-reported child empathy and sensitivity to justice. Across all countries, parents in religious households reported that their children expressed more empathy and sensitivity for justice in everyday life than non-religious parents. However, religiousness was inversely predictive of children's altruism and positively correlated with their punitive tendencies. Together these results reveal the similarity across countries in how religion negatively influences children’s altruism, challenging the view that religiosity facilitates prosocial behavior."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchama...igion-morality/

Old Post Nov 29th, 2015 11:32 PM
Van Hohenheim is currently offline Click here to Send Van Hohenheim a Private Message Find more posts by Van Hohenheim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

It doesn't surprise me. I think those raised by super religious parents come to truly hate the church and everything it stands for. My parents weren't big religious people(church twice a year), but even then I came out of it with a negative view of the religion. So I can only imagine what kids who really had to suffer through a lot of that crap went through.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 06:26 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This is aligned with the data we have on this for adults, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. We just have to be careful to remember this is statistical data, and that it often won't account for the wild variance that we find at the individual level. If we forget that, it's too easy to become accusatory or needlessly defensive.

Further reading:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...threadid=479017

Highlights from that thread:
Perhaps the biggest myth concerning atheism is that morality becomes an "anything goes" attitude without a god-figure to keep a person in check. For example, a July 1995 poll of 1,007 adults published in George Barna's 1996 Index of Leading Spiritual Indicators found that 60% of Americans believe atheism has a generally negative influence on society. But as it turns out, this hypothesis is testable, and has been tested by numerous credible sources.

- a 1934 study by Abraham Franzblau found a negative correlation between acceptance of religious beliefs and three different measures of honesty.
- In 1950 a survey of thousands was conducted by Murray Ross, and found that those who considered themselves agnostics or atheists were more likely to express willingness to aid the poor than those who considred themselves deeply religious.
- A 1969 report (Hirschi and Stark) that analyzed a multitude of crime and cultural data found no significant different in the likelihood of committing crimes between children who attended church regularly and those who did not.
- A 1975 report (Smith, Wheeler, & Diener) reported no difference in religious/non-religious college-age students when measuring how likely they were to cheat on tests.
- A similar report from 1962 (Middleton & Putney) reports a noticeable increase in cheating among religious students.
- David Wulff's 1991 novel Psychology of Religion compiles dozens of studies to this affect and finds a positive correlation between "religious affiliation, church attendance, doctrinal orthodoxy, rated importance of religion, and so on" with "ethnocentrism, authoritarianism, dogmatism, social distance, intolerance of ambiguity, and specific forms of prejudice, especially against Jews and blacks" (219-220).

To my knowledge, none of the researchers cited are atheists. All are researchable for those who wish to see the exact methods and results. It does not prove that atheism or spirituality makes one more moral than the other, but it shows irrefutable evidence that not only that atheism can be moral, but most atheists are moral. But the data is clear: not only does religion not ensure a heightened morality over non-religion, but it is statistically correlated with higher occurrences of immorality.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2015 09:17 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Kids are evil thumb up

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Dec 1st, 2015 05:59 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The MISTER
Get mad if ya want.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Bentley
Kids are evil thumb up
Fact.

Old Post Dec 2nd, 2015 10:33 AM
The MISTER is currently offline Click here to Send The MISTER a Private Message Find more posts by The MISTER Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

What a ridiculous question. It depends on the kids as individuals.

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 12:31 AM
NewGuy01 is currently offline Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Originally posted by NewGuy01

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 26th, 2015 12:35 AM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Van Hohenheim

Did you read the original post?

Old Post Dec 27th, 2015 08:47 PM
Van Hohenheim is currently offline Click here to Send Van Hohenheim a Private Message Find more posts by Van Hohenheim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

thumb up

Originally posted by Surtur
It doesn't surprise me. I think those raised by super religious parents come to truly hate the church and everything it stands for. My parents weren't big religious people(church twice a year), but even then I came out of it with a negative view of the religion. So I can only imagine what kids who really had to suffer through a lot of that crap went through.

That's surprising as most people my age in Poland are moderately religious, with some little groups on either side of the spectrum. (non-religious and very religious).

It's certiuanly not unsual to see dozens of twenty-somethings in a Church.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 03:31 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Originally posted by Bentley
Kids are evil thumb up

Yes but religious ones have more negative biases than non-religious kids.

Here is just one example.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d04_1452631143

Regards
DL

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 05:01 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greatest I am

Exactly right but to ignore the statistics is even more ridiculous and only those who do not want to improve on all of society will ignore them in their decision making..

Regards
DL

Old Post Jan 27th, 2016 05:20 PM
Greatest I am is currently offline Click here to Send Greatest I am a Private Message Find more posts by Greatest I am Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Stigma
That's surprising as most people my age in Poland are moderately religious, with some little groups on either side of the spectrum. (non-religious and very religious).

It's certiuanly not unsual to see dozens of twenty-somethings in a Church.

I'm guessing it depends on one's own experience with religion. For my experience it was more of a chore. I've seen religious people do some messed up things, and heard them say some messed up things. Though when I say I've seen them do messed up things I am not talking about some kind of "priest molesting little kids" type of stuff. I more-so saw emotional abuse disguised as teaching.

Of course I was forced to go to a catholic grammar school and catholic high school, the latter of which was boys only. Just dudes man, dudes all the time. Everywhere you turn, dudes..all wearing the *exact* same clothes. Who wants to go to a school like that?!

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 08:52 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

T'is Most interesting.

Yet I'd add that the child's mind and ideas are warped by the people, culture, friends, and faiths around him. A child with strict parents would either become a firm sheep like his parents, and a child with less devout parents would become more lax in his approach of religion.

Interestingly, while t'is this that is usually the norm, it can add times be quite opposite. Some children or people with no real connection to a god would likely, if a bit rarely, seek out a religion, while religious people would obviously wish to break free of their "binds".

That said, children with devout parents can too be lax in what they believe, but by the time of their teenage years they'll like delve into recreational drugs and alcohol to cope with the ideal facade they feel they must keep.

We are shaped by the people around us, and what we learn. One cannot expect every situation to be the exact same.

Old Post Mar 6th, 2016 03:36 AM
Fated Xtasy is currently offline Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Van Hohenheim

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
T'is Most interesting.

Yet I'd add that the child's mind and ideas are warped by the people, culture, friends, and faiths around him. A child with strict parents would either become a firm sheep like his parents, and a child with less devout parents would become more lax in his approach of religion.

Interestingly, while t'is this that is usually the norm, it can add times be quite opposite. Some children or people with no real connection to a god would likely, if a bit rarely, seek out a religion, while religious people would obviously wish to break free of their "binds".

That said, children with devout parents can too be lax in what they believe, but by the time of their teenage years they'll like delve into recreational drugs and alcohol to cope with the ideal facade they feel they must keep.

We are shaped by the people around us, and what we learn. One cannot expect every situation to be the exact same.

Do sheep gather with pride? It's safe to say that most kids are influenced by the environment their parents want.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2016 04:15 AM
riv6672

Hmm.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2016 04:04 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote