KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » If God created everything who created God?

If God created everything who created God?
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

If God created everything who created God?

Simple question, where'd God come from if he is supposedly the source of everything?

Old Post Jan 28th, 2016 11:55 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

This is like... the anti-theism 101 question. Why bother asking it for the 100 millionth time?

Old Post Jan 29th, 2016 01:06 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Simple: I got the idea from watching Star's video about how to explode an atheists head. In it they put forth some kind of stupid shit like how you can't get something from nothing. So for example they would say if you think a specific particle/element/whatever is responsible for the Big Bang..they'd go "well yeah but WHERE or WHO did that particle come from?" and on and on.

So I just thought I'd flip it over. Since they apparently believe whatever shaped the universe must of come from someone, I'm curious where they feel that someone came from.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2016 01:11 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
So I just thought I'd flip it over.

The KCA (abbr: Kalām Cosmological Argument) goes like this:
  1. Everything that begins to exist has a cause;
  2. X began to exist;
  3. therefore the X had a cause.
This applies to the universe since the universe had a beginning.

However; God, as defined in contemporary philosophy, is atemporal—he exists independently/outside of time—which means that there was no point in time when he began to exist. So the KCA doesn't apply to him.

Last edited by Astner on Jan 29th, 2016 at 03:12 AM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2016 03:09 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

But that is the thing. If someone is willing to say a godlike being always existed, then why couldn't..whatever energies formed the universe of always existed? It doesn't mean I'm saying the universe always has, but perhaps the building blocks have.

So why can religious people go "oh all this had to come from somewhere, from someone" and at the same time be going "God came from nowhere, he has always been".

What am I kidding? I already know the answer people will give: because magic. I apologize, I tried to bring logic into something totally illogical. I imagine this is what a conversation with Bizarro feels like.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 29th, 2016 at 04:44 PM

Old Post Jan 29th, 2016 04:42 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

If the universe is the flash of two other universes colliding, then before the big bang there existed two other universes heading towards collision.

Old Post Jan 29th, 2016 09:23 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

First there was an endless primordial ocean, Nun. Then Atum-Ra created themselves as a shining egg, and Atum-Ra then mated with himself and gave birth to Shu and Tefnut, who brought forth Geb and Nut, who in turn gave birth to the rest of the gods- Osiris, Isis, Set, Nepthys, etc..

Everyone knows that!

Old Post Jan 29th, 2016 09:39 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Now I want a fight with Atum Ra.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Jan 29th, 2016 09:48 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

But that is the thing. If someone is willing to say a godlike being always existed, then why couldn't..whatever energies formed the universe of always existed? It doesn't mean I'm saying the universe always has, but perhaps the building blocks have.

You could say that the universe always existed in some form or another, but like the Christians you'd believe in something without evidence.

So why can religious people go "oh all this had to come from somewhere, from someone" and at the same time be going "God came from nowhere, he has always been".

Because we know that the universe—as we know it—came into being.

God on the other hand has never been thought of this way; and according to contemporary philosophy God created space-time, i.e. time didn't exist prior to him. Therefore there couldn't have been a time when God came into being.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 05:40 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FinalAnswer
Flower

God would theoretically exist before the concept of time, so the idea would be he always existed.

Howdy!

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 05:43 AM
FinalAnswer is currently offline Click here to Send FinalAnswer a Private Message Find more posts by FinalAnswer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Re: If God created everything who created God?

Simple question, where'd God come from if he is supposedly the source of everything?

This is like asking why Big Bang happened.

There are certain matters that we might not be able to comprehend or explain, my friend.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 07:42 AM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

But you see the problem is some religious people take a lack of explanation for "it's magic yo". They will say something can't come from nothing, that everything has to of had a source. But of course not God, because he's magic.

So they can harp on people about the big bang, say "der where did the energy that started it come from if you can't get something from nothing?". Which means God came from something too, but nah cuz he's magic it doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 30th, 2016 at 05:54 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 05:40 PM
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Asking this question is like asking "Where did Matter come from?"

There is no definite answer. Even atheists/scientists cannot answer this type of question.

"How can something be created without a creator?" The classic chicken/egg argument. But we all know the chicken made the egg. Because everything starts from something, not from nothing.

I'd like to ask a few counter-questions: Can man create life from basic organic elements? What makes a heart beat? What makes our lungs breath air?

There are some things that our mortal minds will never be able to comprehend, that science and technology will never be able to explain.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Last edited by AsbestosFlaygon on Jan 30th, 2016 at 07:10 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 07:04 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Asking this question is like asking "Where did Matter come from?"

There is no definite answer. Even atheists/scientists cannot answer this type of question.

We know where matter comes from. Sufficient densities of energy will form matter.

That's actually a pretty straightforward physics question and not a mystery. It's possible to create new matter as well. In super-colliders, when they talk about discovering new particles, they're literally *making* those particles occur by re-creating the conditions in which that type of matters forms.

Also, I will note that 'atheists' and 'scientists' are two separate groups. Not all atheists are scientists or believe in science, not all scientists are atheists.

quote:

"How can something be created without a creator?" The classic chicken/egg argument. But we all know the chicken made the egg. Because everything starts from something, not from nothing.

Atum-Ra self-created as a shining egg.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 07:15 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Originally posted by Q99
We know where matter comes from. Sufficient densities of energy will form matter.

I know that. I know we are all just particles of stardust fleeting in space.

But where does this energy come from? I mean the energy from the Big Bang. Where did it come from? It's impossible to come from nothing.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 07:21 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

I know that. I know we are all but particles of stardust fleeting in space.

But where does this energy come from? I mean the energy from the Big Bang. Where did it come from? It's impossible to come from nothing.

Mm, in quantum stuff, that's not exactly true, a particle and anti-particle can form as long as they immediately self-annihilate (there's actual evidence of this, in the form of hawking's radiation). It's all incredibly small scale and rarely has an effect on anything, but that's in the universe's current conditions.

So in the pre-big bang conditions, those existing effects may be able to work on a larger scale.

In a way, it's similar to Atum-Ra creating himself as a shining egg, only possible in the endless primordial ocean of Nun....

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 07:26 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

[B]"How can something be created without a creator?" The classic chicken/egg argument. But we all know the chicken made the egg. Because everything starts from something, not from nothing.

I tend to agree, but to be fair we don't all know the chicken made the egg. Some obviously do believe God has no beginning or end.

Last edited by Surtur on Jan 30th, 2016 at 08:46 PM

Old Post Jan 30th, 2016 08:43 PM
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

To Astner

"Because we know that the universe—as we know it—came into being."

We don't know that the universe came into being. All we know is that ~13.7 billion years ago all of the matter, space and time where together in one point. What happened before that is unknown.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2016 06:53 PM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Re: If God created everything who created God?

This particular question is discussed, starting at about 5:00.

EDIT: Really touching the surface of the problem, but you'll easily find this claim backed up in many, much longer debates. Even in the one from which the excerpt comes from.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2016 07:07 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

But that is the thing. If someone is willing to say a godlike being always existed, then why couldn't..whatever energies formed the universe of always existed?

Because, if you go with personal, Christian God, his decision makes the universe to appear out of nothing. Meaning, just like a person, he decides to act.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2016 07:11 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote