KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » So, God has a wife?

So, God has a wife?
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

So, God has a wife?

quote:
- God, also known as Yahweh, had a wife named Asherah, according to a British theologian.

- Amulets, figurines, inscriptions and ancient texts, including the Bible, reveal Asherah's once prominent standing.

God had a wife, Asherah, whom the Book of Kings suggests was worshiped alongside Yahweh in his temple in Israel, according to an Oxford scholar.

In 1967, Raphael Patai was the first historian to mention that the ancient Israelites worshiped both Yahweh and Asherah. The theory has gained new prominence due to the research of Francesca Stavrakopoulou, who began her work at Oxford and is now a senior lecturer in the department of Theology and Religion at the University of Exeter.

Information presented in Stavrakopoulou's books, lectures and journal papers has become the basis of a three-part documentary series, now airing in Europe, where she discusses the Yahweh-Asherah connection.

"You might know him as Yahweh, Allah or God. But on this fact, Jews, Muslims and Christians, the people of the great Abrahamic religions, are agreed: There is only one of Him," writes Stavrakopoulou in a statement released to the British media. "He is a solitary figure, a single, universal creator, not one God among many … or so we like to believe."

"After years of research specializing in the history and religion of Israel, however, I have come to a colorful and what could seem, to some, uncomfortable conclusion that God had a wife," she added.

Stavrakopoulou bases her theory on ancient texts, amulets and figurines unearthed primarily in the ancient Canaanite coastal city called Ugarit, now modern-day Syria. All of these artifacts reveal that Asherah was a powerful fertility goddess.

Asherah's connection to Yahweh, according to Stavrakopoulou, is spelled out in both the Bible and an 8th century B.C. inscription on pottery found in the Sinai desert at a site called Kuntillet Ajrud.

"The inscription is a petition for a blessing," she shares. "Crucially, the inscription asks for a blessing from 'Yahweh and his Asherah.' Here was evidence that presented Yahweh and Asherah as a divine pair. And now a handful of similar inscriptions have since been found, all of which help to strengthen the case that the God of the Bible once had a wife."

Also significant, Stavrakopoulou believes, "is the Bible's admission that the goddess Asherah was worshiped in Yahweh's Temple in Jerusalem. In the Book of Kings, we're told that a statue of Asherah was housed in the temple and that female temple personnel wove ritual textiles for her."

J. Edward Wright, president of both The Arizona Center for Judaic Studies and The Albright Institute for Archaeological Research, told Discovery News that he agrees several Hebrew inscriptions mention "Yahweh and his Asherah."

"Asherah was not entirely edited out of the Bible by its male editors," he added. "Traces of her remain, and based on those traces, archaeological evidence and references to her in texts from nations bordering Israel and Judah, we can reconstruct her role in the religions of the Southern Levant."

Asherah -- known across the ancient Near East by various other names, such as Astarte and Istar -- was "an important deity, one who was both mighty and nurturing," Wright continued.

"Many English translations prefer to translate 'Asherah' as 'Sacred Tree,'" Wright said. "This seems to be in part driven by a modern desire, clearly inspired by the Biblical narratives, to hide Asherah behind a veil once again."

"Mentions of the goddess Asherah in the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) are rare and have been heavily edited by the ancient authors who gathered the texts together," Aaron Brody, director of the Bade Museum and an associate professor of Bible and archaeology at the Pacific School of Religion, said.

Asherah as a tree symbol was even said to have been "chopped down and burned outside the Temple in acts of certain rulers who were trying to 'purify' the cult, and focus on the worship of a single male god, Yahweh," he added.

The ancient Israelites were polytheists, Brody told Discovery News, "with only a small minority worshiping Yahweh alone before the historic events of 586 B.C." In that year, an elite community within Judea was exiled to Babylon and the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed. This, Brody said, led to "a more universal vision of strict monotheism: one god not only for Judah, but for all of the nations.

http://news.discovery.com/history/r...erah-110318.htm

Who says TV isnt educational? God's sister is running rampant in Supernatural, and his wife is mentioned in the season finale of Lucifer.
I wondered if this was just artistic license. Guess not.

And yes, yes, i know, to SOME folks, its ALL one big fiction. stick out tongue

Old Post May 8th, 2016 10:42 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Think it was a Jewish wedding?

Old Post May 9th, 2016 04:26 AM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Hava Nagila...

Old Post May 9th, 2016 09:36 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Valar morghulis.

Old Post May 9th, 2016 07:59 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dante158
The Soul Stealer

What religion are you, riv?

Old Post May 10th, 2016 07:57 AM
Dante158 is currently offline Click here to Send Dante158 a Private Message Find more posts by Dante158 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Asatru, though i was raised Catholic till age 12 when i was asked not to come back to church.

Old Post May 10th, 2016 09:43 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Good lord I feel bad for the wife. Imagine what would happen if she was late with dinner? I bet this woman "stumbled" into a lot of "door knobs" over the years.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
Asatru, though i was raised Catholic till age 12 when i was asked not to come back to church.

Lol what did you do, show actual intelligence and the church couldn't handle it?

Old Post May 10th, 2016 04:04 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote:
Lol what did you do, show actual intelligence and the church couldn't handle it?

-shrug-
I ran across the "can God make a rock so heavy he couldnt lift it" question in a library book, and asked the good padre.
Maybe i caught him on an off day, but he got pissed, told my mom i was no longer welcome.
I got beat all the way home.

I think i came out ahead, though. While i believe in God, i'm not blind to the bullshit of organized religion.

Old Post May 10th, 2016 08:52 PM
Etherean Fire
Noble Al-LIE

-shrug-
I ran across the "can God make a rock so heavy he couldnt lift it" question in a library book, and asked the good padre.
Maybe i caught him on an off day, but he got pissed, told my mom i was no longer welcome.

I think i came out ahead, though. While i believe in God, i'm not blind to the bullshit of organized religion.

thumb upthumb upthumb upthumb up

Old Post May 10th, 2016 09:04 PM
Etherean Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Etherean Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Etherean Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

-shrug-

Wait your mom didn't even bother to ask him why he was saying a CHILD can't come back to church?

I too was scolded for questioning a teacher, but they didn't kick me out because then they wouldn't get that sweet sweet tuition money. The scary thing is priests like you just described are disturbingly not as uncommon as one would hope.

Any religion that can't stand being questioned really just needs to be erased from existence.

Old Post May 11th, 2016 12:10 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shakyamunison
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Originally posted by Surtur
...Any religion that can't stand being questioned really just needs to be erased from existence.

Really? "Erased from existence"?
I believe that all religions have a life span. Therefore every religion today will eventually die. All we need to do is make better religions for the future.

Old Post May 11th, 2016 12:47 AM
Shakyamunison is currently offline Click here to Send Shakyamunison a Private Message Find more posts by Shakyamunison Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Originally posted by Surtur
Wait your mom didn't even bother to ask him why he was saying a CHILD can't come back to church?

Haha, nooooo....laughing

Old Post May 11th, 2016 04:19 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Really? "Erased from existence"?
I believe that all religions have a life span. Therefore every religion today will eventually die. All we need to do is make better religions for the future.

Yes erased from existence. Omega Effect those motherf*ckers that can't stand to be questioned. Waiting for them to die takes too long.

All religions have life spans, some have human life spans and some have the life spans of a f*cking Asgardian lol. Do you want to just sit around and wait for Thor to die?

Old Post May 12th, 2016 05:20 PM
riv6672

^^^Sure, pick on MY god. stick out tongue

Old Post May 13th, 2016 09:24 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

He tried to murder Captain America for no legit reason!!!

Old Post May 13th, 2016 02:07 PM
riv6672

laughing out loud

Old Post May 14th, 2016 05:25 AM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

As a Catholic my biggest concern with this issue is if god uses protection during his playtime with the missus.<mindblown>

Old Post May 14th, 2016 06:25 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^ no protection. Hence the milky way.

Old Post May 14th, 2016 07:22 PM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Who believes this stuff anyway? laughing out loud

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 14th, 2016 07:44 PM
Jaggarath is currently offline Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Certainly not mature people like you. laughing out loud

Old Post May 15th, 2016 01:30 AM