KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Is there any evidence that Darwin died as Christian?

Is there any evidence that Darwin died as Christian?
Started by: Ursumeles

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ursumeles
Traitor

Is there any evidence that Darwin died as Christian?

I saw this claim being brought up several times, but I never saw conclusive evidence for this claim. So my questions are - did Darwin convert to Christianity toward the end of his life, and if so did he die as a creationist? More importantly - why and how does that effect the theory of evolution and why we should believe in it?

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 07:29 PM
Ursumeles is currently offline Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Stupid topic.

Whatever was going through Darwin (the man's) private head is irrelevant.

This is the kind of annoying crap that religious apologists try to bring up to discredit his ideas, but it does nothing of the sort.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 07:38 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Stupid topic.
Some people really believe that Darwin's personal views are important compared to scientific facts. I created this topic so that they can tell us why we should trust Darwins personal views more than those facts. And I want to see basis for the xlaim that Charles died as christian.

thumb up @the rest of your post, though.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCXhBYAeio8

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 07:48 PM
Ursumeles is currently offline Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Re: Is there any evidence that Darwin died as Christian?

Rumors of deathbed conversions are insanely popular in our cultural rumor mill, because it allows us to call into question revered figures in any tradition, thus bolstering our own worldview.

I hadn't heard the Darwin one, but I've heard about a dozen others, and Darwin's inclusion is hardly surprising.

The religious crowd isn't solely responsible for this phenomenon, granted. I've actually heard this about religious adherents too (Aquinas, for one). They're just as vacuous. So this isn't a skeptical slap on the wrist to religious people perpetuating these unsubstantiated claims; it's more a slap on the wrist to the practice in general.

In conclusion, this:

Originally posted by Ursumeles
I saw this claim being brought up several times, but I never saw conclusive evidence for this claim.

...provides all the answer you need.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 07:53 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

And to perhaps address your question another way: F*** Darwin's personal views. His contribution to science is why he has a legacy, and those results are verifiable. Musings on his opinion at a specific point in his life are not.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 07:55 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Digi
And to perhaps address your question another way: F*** Darwin's personal views. His contribution to science is why he has a legacy, and those results are verifiable. Musings on his opinion at a specific point in his life are not.

But what if Darwin was resurrected the third day after his dead?

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 08:19 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Ursumeles
Is there any evidence that Darwin died as [a] Christian?

I hope not! I don't want to see that ape-worshiping heathen in heaven when I get there!

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 09:16 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Seems like a safe way to play it. lol Know it's crazy talk until the very end, and then convert real quick just in case you were wrong. Genius.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 09:32 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

It is Halloween. We could hold a seance to find out.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 09:34 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Seances are not Christian friendly are they?

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 09:49 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by socool8520

We could ask Saul....

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 09:51 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
quote:
Is there any evidence that Darwin died as [a] Christian?

I hope not! I don't want to see that ape-worshiping heathen in heaven when I get there!

Satan swallowed the "a". Just sayin.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 10:02 PM
Ursumeles
Traitor

Perfect for us Satanists thumb up

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 10:02 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Lol

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 10:06 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Seems like a safe way to play it. lol Know it's crazy talk until the very end, and then convert real quick just in case you were wrong. Genius.

I realize this post is likely with tongue in cheek, but I've seen it used seriously. It seems disingenuous, and reveals more about the person saying it than any historical figure they're talking about, as though to them, faking belief or doing it "just in case" to make sure they get to heaven is a valid, moral goal. I'd like to think that if their God does exist, cheap tricks like this wouldn't work on a supposedly omniscient being, and that doesn't even dig into how flatly evil and self-serving it seems to me.

Most people realize this whether they admit it or not, though, which is further reason to ignore claims of deathbed conversion.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 01:41 PM
SamZED

I think it was either Dakwins or Harris who said that he'll request a recorder by his bed to prevent rumours of last minute revelations because it's getting really annoying.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 01:49 PM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by SamZED
I think it was either Dakwins or Harris who said that he'll request a recorder by his bed to prevent rumours of last minute revelations because it's getting really annoying.

Dawkins, I think. I've seen that crew discuss it a couple times, usually with a bemused tone. Dan Dennett once joked to Dawkins that if he ever fell on hard times, a "sudden conversion" could yield him a huge financial windfall from religious organizations. But whether or not they actually have the recorder, they're familiar with the deathbed nonsense that we allow to spread. I don't doubt we'll see such claims after they die; though, surprisingly, I don't remember any for Hitchens, so maybe that's a good sign (or maybe I just missed them).

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 01:54 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Digi
I realize this post is likely with tongue in cheek, but I've seen it used seriously. It seems disingenuous, and reveals more about the person saying it than any historical figure they're talking about, as though to them, faking belief or doing it "just in case" to make sure they get to heaven is a valid, moral goal. I'd like to think that if their God does exist, cheap tricks like this wouldn't work on a supposedly omniscient being, and that doesn't even dig into how flatly evil and self-serving it seems to me.

Most people realize this whether they admit it or not, though, which is further reason to ignore claims of deathbed conversion.

yeah, it was definitely in jest. I agree, you are a hypocrite and if the Judgement scenario were true, you should be seen as such.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 02:02 PM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

And everything rotates on the idea that Creation and Evolution fight each other! What a wrong concept of science.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 03:19 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
And everything rotates on the idea that Creation and Evolution fight each other! What a wrong concept of science.

Yeah, because these are compatible ideas:

1. All the diverse lifeforms appeared as they are in their present form within the last 10,000 years.

2. All the diverse lifeforms evolved from a common ancestor over billions of years.

Right?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 03:38 PM