KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Jordan Peterson - The Problem With Atheism

Jordan Peterson - The Problem With Atheism
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

Jordan Peterson - The Problem With Atheism

Interesting insights thumb up

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 07:34 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stigma
Interesting insights thumb up

That guy is right. thumb up nice video.

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:08 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

That guy sucks. I've seen videos with him and heard him speak.

He even appeared on Sam Harris' podcast and he's really not that great. He got hung up on things not being true if they cause problems for humanity. He's really quite fundamentally flawed.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Nov 16th, 2017 at 08:30 PM

Old Post Nov 16th, 2017 08:24 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

He's sorta decent, raises some interesting points, but I don't think he's the be-all, end-all.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 09:37 AM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I really think he's flat out wrong about some of his major points...

He sounds like he might be intelligent and convincing, but he's really just using the same old tired arguments like "there's no morality without God," and his premises are way off. For example his claim that there's no rational argument against being a psychopath in the world? That makes no damn sense at all. That's now how we evolved. We evolved by making the best of our relationships with other people and making this world more pleasant because this existence is all there is that we know of. He's completely confused at a fundamental level.

Jordan Peterson actually reminds me of this guy from an old recurring sketch on In Living Colour...

laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 01:01 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I really think he's flat out wrong about some of his major points...

He sounds like he might be intelligent and convincing, but he's really just using the same old tired arguments like "there's no morality without God," and his premises are way off. For example his claim that there's no rational argument against being a psychopath in the world? That makes no damn sense at all. That's now how we evolved. We evolved by making the best of our relationships with other people and making this world more pleasant because this existence is all there is that we know of. He's completely confused at a fundamental level.

Jordan Peterson actually reminds me of this guy from an old recurring sketch on In Living Colour...

laughing out loud

There is no morality without a God....

Its proven that our concept of morality was driven from the idea of a supreme being.

Many of the laws today in the world are derived from Religion and the concept of God.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 01:35 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ No it isn't proven.

We've had a similar moral compass since early in mankind's evolution, and long before any religion known. Anthropologists have seen similar family/villager setups that we see today. Really, there are only a handful of laws that I can think of that are universally spread throughout the religions which are the basics accepted by humanity. All other religious "laws" are completely culturally influenced.

If there was a one true god, or even a crew of gods who were hell bent on our morality, why wouldn't we all agree on the same morality whether we followed it or not?

Last edited by socool8520 on Nov 17th, 2017 at 01:57 PM

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 01:45 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
There is no morality without a God....

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 02:35 PM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

It's something Atheists will always hate. Knowing that their own behaviors are influenced by what they don't believe laughing out loud

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 03:51 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

I really think he's flat out wrong about some of his major points.

I see.

On Rubin Report Peterson elaborates on why New Atheists are wrong.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 05:51 PM
Stigma is currently offline Click here to Send Stigma a Private Message Find more posts by Stigma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by socool8520
^ No it isn't proven.

We've had a similar moral compass since early in mankind's evolution, and long before any religion known. Anthropologists have seen similar family/villager setups that we see today. Really, there are only a handful of laws that I can think of that are universally spread throughout the religions which are the basics accepted by humanity. All other religious "laws" are completely culturally influenced.

If there was a one true god, or even a crew of gods who were hell bent on our morality, why wouldn't we all agree on the same morality whether we followed it or not?

Oh really? You refer to the Cave men?

If i don't remember wrongly such humans would steal, rape, and kill other humans without being heavy hearted.

Furthermore, If morality is something "natural"/"Non-Religious" I don't understand then why animals don't have morality.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 07:44 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

It's something Atheists will always hate. Knowing that their own behaviors are influenced by what they don't believe laughing out loud

Ummm..if we don't believe in god then we also don't believe said god would influence our behavior. Think about it.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 07:59 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Oh really? You refer to the Cave men?

If i don't remember wrongly such humans would steal, rape, and kill other humans without being heavy hearted.

Furthermore, If morality is something "natural"/"Non-Religious" I don't understand then why animals don't have morality.

I refer to several thousand years in between, unless you think we went from caves to Jesus in a day or so.

Really? You don't understand how animals that lack critical thinking skills also lack morality? Okay, I don't know what to tell you then.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:01 PM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Ummm..if we don't believe in god then we also don't believe said god would influence our behavior. Think about it.

If you don't believe in God, then basically you don't believe in Good and Evil! LOL.

You see, ALL CIVILIZATIONS (Egyptians/Greeks/Romans/Mayas/Aztecs/Chineese etc.) based their "morals" on a Supreme Being (Not necessarily the Christian/Jewish Religion).

Morality was founded on the concept of Good and Evil! Where as if we are Good! Then we are accepted/rewarded in some sort of way by this Supreme Being or entity, whereas if we are BAD then we are going to get this punishment.

Our current laws are founded on the Religious Concept of Good and Evil.

So if you don't believe in God/Religion then there is no reason for you to be moral.

I mean Morality and Religion are bound together!

If there is NO GOD, then there is no JUDGE/ARBITRARY to dictate what i CAN DO OR CAN'T DO.

Why should then i be moral if i don't believe in a God?

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:07 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

This is explained by Peterson in the clip.

The fact that you don't believe in God does not undermine the fact that our morality is predicated on the notion of transcendence.

BTW he is not even arguing for the existence of God per se. He argues that the ideal that some would call God (Logos) is the prerequisite for morality.

I recommend watching the second clip I posted. He gives a lucid explanation there.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:10 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

The fact that you don't believe in God does not undermine the fact that our morality is predicated on the notion of transcendence.

BTW he is not even arguing for the existence of God per se. He argues that the ideal that some would call God (Logos) is the prerequisite for morality.

I recommend watching the second clip I posted. He gives a lucid explanation there.

I agree that a notion of the afterlife at least, has been with us for awhile, but I don't think it has ultimately shaped our morality. It has been an influence, but I think survival and having to stick together influenced our cooperation, and ultimately, forced us to treat each other better. just my opinion though.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:21 PM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

I Know. It's something i've always found funny.

Atheists deny God however they still behave like if under God's influence.

Atheists refuse to believe in God yet somehow they share the morality instructed by God.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:22 PM
Stigma
Herald of the Judgement

I agree that a notion of the afterlife at least, has been with us for awhile, but I don't think it has ultimately shaped our morality. It has been an influence, but I think survival and having to stick together influenced our cooperation, and ultimately, forced us to treat each other better. just my opinion though.

This does not refer to the notion of afterlife, however.

This refers to the fact that morality is our way to try to attain an ideal that is a transcendent notion in itself.

Peterson is right thumb up

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:25 PM
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Socool, if you don't believe in God (You are Atheist) then what is your notion of Humanity?

What is humanity exactly?

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:26 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Socool, if you don't believe in God (You are Atheist) then what is your notion of Humanity?

What is humanity exactly?

We are a species put on this planet to survive and progress just like everything else. We have basic laws of morality and behavior that we all share for a mutual benefit. The fact that we are capable of critical thinking allows us to modify our morality slightly given our surroundings. Nothing supernatural about it. I don't need anything more nor do i see evidence of it.

Old Post Nov 17th, 2017 08:37 PM